Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Arwen's "Hope" Dress?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 22 2008, 6:19pm

Post #1 of 30 (3995 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Arwen's "Hope" Dress? Can't Post

That's pretty much what you saw in the movie. Here's what the dress really looks like:

It's burgundy velvet with a wide cowl neck, about 12 inches deep. The sleeves are a rosy pink sheer silk georgette with silver embroidery and beads in a leaf pattern. The sleeves are triangular in shape and people who've seen this dress in person say there's a second wide sleeve underneath.

This dress was made after the switch in Arwen's character from XenArwen to GloomyArwen took place. Which means that it had to be designed, approved, and made during filming. Because of this switch in her character, there are actually several costumes that Arwen wore which never appear in any of the movies or EEs. Ngila said that because of the time crunch they were under by this point, she would make three dresses completely and let PJ pick the one he liked for Arwen, then put the other two on extras!

The sleeve fabric:

The shape of the sleeve:

For more pictures and details about this dress, check out The Costumer's Guide and Alley Cat Scratch.

So, any thoughts on this dress?

Did You Ever notice is a discussion of some of the details that went into the costumes of LOTR. It's a roving discussion, in that it doesn't appear on any particular day or cover the costumes in any particular order.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
Screencap of the Day Schedule for May

See my Photos from Japan!!

Elven
Valinor

May 22 2008, 7:14pm

Post #2 of 30 (2500 views)
Shortcut
How bizzare .. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never noticed or remember seeing this dress?
For some reason I thought it different in the movie ..
Must go have a look!

Well what can I say, but as beautiful as the dress is, I find the sleeve a little too contrasting in colour to the richness of the burgundy, and the leaves on the sleeves a little too big and not 'elvish' enough ... maybe I would have prefered the colours the other way around - the body of the dress with some light leaves in the organza - very autumn in colouring with the burgundy sleeves or something ...

Then again ... What would I know - I wear jeans every day Wink

Still a beautiful creation!

Thankyou Arwen's Daughter Heart

Cheers
Elven

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

May 22 2008, 8:25pm

Post #3 of 30 (2447 views)
Shortcut
It's gorgeous [In reply to] Can't Post

but I have to say I never knew it was that colour!

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

May 22 2008, 8:50pm

Post #4 of 30 (2495 views)
Shortcut
I always laugh at the sleeves [In reply to] Can't Post

on Arwen's dresses, where they made them extra-long so the fabric would have those beautiful (carefully arranged, I assume) folds in it when her arms are up -- but then she can't lower her arms or the sleeves go down to the floor!

It reminds me of something I read about the costumers needing to make slits in the hobbits' capes so their backpacks would sit right, but then they couldn't take the backpacks off without someone helping them and taking the whole costume apart.

These clothes look so amazing on screen, but would certainly be very impractical in real life!

weaver
Half-elven

May 23 2008, 12:38am

Post #5 of 30 (2453 views)
Shortcut
it looks good on her... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but this is the first dress I don't really like -- the sleeves don't look like they go with the rest of the dress, to me -- too much of a contrast. But Liv Tyler could probably wear a potato sack and still look gorgeous!

It's a good think Ngila is so resourceful, otherwise she would have probably killed Jackson at some point, with all those changes!

Weaver

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 23 2008, 12:55am

Post #6 of 30 (2437 views)
Shortcut
'Death by sewing needle.' [In reply to] Can't Post

If anyone could do it, an enraged Ngila could! ;)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

May 23 2008, 3:22am

Post #7 of 30 (2405 views)
Shortcut
Me either. It looks like [In reply to] Can't Post

the flowers are a blue shade in the actual movie. I think I prefer that, the way the light is hitting it, to the real color.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

luinfalathiel
Lorien

May 23 2008, 4:17am

Post #8 of 30 (2430 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes .... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like Eowyn's sleeves when they're camped at Dunharrow - they're in a WAR REFUGE for Eru's sake, why does she need those long long totally impractical sleeves? :D

Follow my Korean adventures!
http://simulflow.vox.com

Gandalf: Good benevolent I!
http://pounce.skew.org/...ncerninghobbits.html

the eye of luinfalathiel

the eye of luinfalathiel

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 23 2008, 4:20am

Post #9 of 30 (2401 views)
Shortcut
Bandages maybe *ducking* // [In reply to] Can't Post

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Starling
Half-elven

May 23 2008, 9:04am

Post #10 of 30 (2420 views)
Shortcut
I love it [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the way the sleeves contrast with the rest of the dress. To me it is Elven-emo chic. Wink I'm always a sucker for the gloomier slice of life.
Once again, thank you for these wonderful posts.

StillCrazy
Bree

May 23 2008, 2:57pm

Post #11 of 30 (2364 views)
Shortcut
whoa [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realize the sleeves were so contrasting.

That had to be one heavy hot dress to wear. Good thing they didn't film in Phoenix in the summer or Liv would of had a heat stroke.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2008, 7:07pm

Post #12 of 30 (2407 views)
Shortcut
Wow... is that what it looks like? [In reply to] Can't Post

It so suited the mood of the moments; but I think the colour of it (while fitting--pardon the pun) wasn't one that complimented her skin tone. But, as usual, it's a stunning outfit! Look at those sleeves! It's a shame we had only a glimpse of it as she rose up and swung around to talk to Elrond.

Thank you! I'd not seen the entire outfit before. :D

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 23 2008, 7:59pm

Post #13 of 30 (2400 views)
Shortcut
One of my favorite BTS pics [In reply to] Can't Post

shows Miranda picking her way across the floor with her dress and sleeves pinned up so she won't damage it! The clothes look fantastic on screen, but always a little awkward behind the scenes. Tongue

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 23 2008, 8:21pm

Post #14 of 30 (2372 views)
Shortcut
Okay, now I'm curious [In reply to] Can't Post

As this seems to be one of the least successful gowns here, I'm curious as to what went "wrong." I wonder if it was just because they were so rushed to get the dress done. Or if they knew the scene would be quick and dark and heavily graded so they didn't worry as much over it. Or if Arwen's new storyline wasn't as fleshed out yet, so her new wardrobe wasn't solidified yet. So many possibilites, and it's criminal that Ngila isn't on the commentary for TTT to explain these things (not that she gets to talk much on the other two, though).

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

weaver
Half-elven

May 23 2008, 8:44pm

Post #15 of 30 (2380 views)
Shortcut
I think the contrasting fabrics are kind of jarring... [In reply to] Can't Post

All the other outfits are pretty much one color, or a blending of tones -- this one just doesn't look like it fits the rest of her wardrobe.

I know she's hanging around in her bedroom when she's wearing this, so maybe it's the equivalent of an elven sweatsuit, but it just doesn't seem as elegant as the other outfits...

And unfortunately, I keep making mental connections to picnic blankets and hippy chick dresses when I see those sleevest -- with that long hair, she could right out of the 60's and in the shot with Elrond, it looks like she's trying to wrap him up because he's cold!

Weaver

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 23 2008, 8:50pm

Post #16 of 30 (2372 views)
Shortcut
Uh oh! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And unfortunately, I keep making mental connections to picnic blankets and hippy chick dresses when I see those sleevest -- with that long hair, she could right out of the 60's and in the shot with Elrond, it looks like she's trying to wrap him up because he's cold!

I'm tracking you down if I have this thought next time I watch the movie! Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Ruby-Rose

May 23 2008, 8:53pm

Post #17 of 30 (2381 views)
Shortcut
I have been lurking [In reply to] Can't Post

on these threads for a few weeks and I must say I so wish that you could actually buy clothes like these.......someone has probably already said that on here at some point....but oh it makes me so wish I really could wander round the place in dresses like that one.

But, the sleeves.....I love them....but I could never wash-up in them, but I guess if I'm an elf I wouldn't need to!

Ruby-Rose

weaver
Half-elven

May 23 2008, 9:04pm

Post #18 of 30 (2372 views)
Shortcut
not to worry... [In reply to] Can't Post

My Elrond comment was about her "sleevest", not her "sleeve". So you see, that remark has nothing whatsoever to do this shot and you can banish it from your mind!

**makes mental note -- I will use spellcheck before I post, I will use spellcheck before I post, I will use spellcheck...!**

Weaver

Starling
Half-elven

May 23 2008, 9:14pm

Post #19 of 30 (2354 views)
Shortcut
Link not working for me :( // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 23 2008, 9:34pm

Post #20 of 30 (2347 views)
Shortcut
Same here, re the buying. [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen's riding gown and cloak are just gorgeous, as is her wedding dress. But no, not for doing the housework in! Laugh

And good on you for delurking! Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

OhioHobbit
Gondor

May 23 2008, 10:55pm

Post #21 of 30 (2350 views)
Shortcut
Where... [In reply to] Can't Post

did you get that wonderful picture of the crew filming that scene?

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 24 2008, 5:35am

Post #22 of 30 (2313 views)
Shortcut
Nor me :-( // [In reply to] Can't Post

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 24 2008, 5:38am

Post #23 of 30 (2343 views)
Shortcut
Don't hit me [In reply to] Can't Post

but think all the time you could save cleaning the floor with those sleevesEvilWinkWink roflmao

So saying I do love Arwens and Eowyns dresses, you'd feel so girly wearing one, which for a habitual jeans wearer would be novel Cool

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

(This post was edited by Kelvarhin on May 24 2008, 5:40am)

_V_
Lorien

May 24 2008, 8:00pm

Post #24 of 30 (2337 views)
Shortcut
I never noticed the leaves on the arms before [In reply to] Can't Post

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 24 2008, 10:07pm

Post #25 of 30 (2314 views)
Shortcut
Ack! Try this link [In reply to] Can't Post

BTS Shot

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.