Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Throws open Door and Windows!* It's Spring at Fiesta Friday!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 24 2023, 3:56pm

Post #1 of 24 (1932 views)
Shortcut
*Throws open Door and Windows!* It's Spring at Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Our lovely Altaira is still on an adventure, but come on in and enjoy our first Fiesta of Spring… or Fall if you live in the Southern Hemi. Either way, it’s a week of transition for seasons and for Middle-earth. Tomorrow… March 25… is the day Frodo and Sam come to Mt. Doom and the Captains of the West (along with a King and a Wizard, et al) all face their fates! Check out the TIME posts on Main and follow along with excerpts from "The Book".

In honour of the day, I figured we could have a cookout at the Fiery Mountain. So enjoy some vittles razed over the open flame and let me know if there's anything else that's a MUST HAVE at your campfire. OH… and let me know what you'd like to drink to wash it all down.

Do tell of your plans for the weekend and what the past week was like!

Sweet potatoes and marshmallows

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 24 2023, 3:58pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 24 2023, 4:24pm

Post #2 of 24 (1886 views)
Shortcut
LOL, that's one fiery barbecue! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how long I should make my marshmallow stick...?

Greetings, gramma! Could I have a mocha java today, please? I love the smell of Spring! (Except for the skunks, of course.) A handsome fox has been traipsing around here. But I've got to check the wreath on our outside wall and probably take it down, we know the wrens are still there, and we shouldn't let them start laying eggs there.

What's popping out in your area? It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so Sunday I'll be starting to rake out the area between my and my neighbor's houses, to smooth out the dirt and get ready to transplant a bunch of Hostas to between our mailboxes. There's so many right next to my house, when they pop up I'll cull them and give the extras a new home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Immortal

Mar 24 2023, 4:34pm

Post #3 of 24 (1884 views)
Shortcut
mmm smores! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm on the east slope of the Cascades at my happy place, doing a retreat, but will be heading home later today. It looked like it could have been a rather hairy drive with a major snowstorm in the pass, but now they're saying the worst will hit hours after I go. I got upgraded to a very nice room here because the showerhead wasn't working in my first room - what a nice bit of luck! - and have been enjoying the mountain air and smell of pines.

Sunday I'm supposed to see an old friend, but his dad is on Hospice now and he's not sure he'll be available. Our dads used to play tennis together with a group of old guys; my friend's dad far outclassed them all, he was a former college champion, but once they got in their 80s that mattered less. He also dated Coretta Scott in college! Anyway, having recently walked this path myself I'm lending a sympathetic ear and making comforting noises, not much else one can do.

Nothing very much scheduled for the rest of the week, apart from choir. Hoping my tulips will bloom this week!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Mar 24 2023, 4:35pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 24 2023, 5:16pm

Post #4 of 24 (1882 views)
Shortcut
Intense BBQ going on! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ahhh... finally getting outside to enjoy the sun and fresh air! And I think you'll be challenged to find the proper stick ;)

Good idea checking the wreath. I was thinking the same thing with the Robin's nest outside my window; but it's really not in the way. There's nothing really waking up in my yard. But I am getting ready to take the deer/bunny-repelling fencing down around my rose bushes and young trees.

i hope you have a fantastic weekend, m'dear! Say hi to the fox for me, and bye-bye to the skunk!!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 24 2023, 5:22pm

Post #5 of 24 (1880 views)
Shortcut
Oh... what a great place to be! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you were able to go in between the questionable weather. The views must be wonderful! I've filled the mug with hot chocolate for the rest of your walk.

It's so sad that your friend's father is in hospice... especially since he was a friend of your father. It's gotta stir up some reflections for you. *hugs*

You've had quite a busy week, but filled with some good times, I hope :) Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

acheron
Gondor

Mar 24 2023, 6:14pm

Post #6 of 24 (1888 views)
Shortcut
Good timing on the cookout [In reply to] Can't Post

Yesterday was my younger son's birthday, he is now 7. He wanted a cookout with hotdogs and birthday s'mores, so we did that yesterday. Good day for it, nice and warm: today and tomorrow are rainy.

To be honest I sometimes remember his birthday as "two days before the Ring was destroyed". He was born pretty early due to pregnancy complications, where every additional day was a good thing, but not only for that was I hoping he would make it an extra two days before being born. Oh well. Wink

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 24 2023, 6:31pm

Post #7 of 24 (1875 views)
Shortcut
He seized the day!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

He almost made it to the 25th! But here's a cookout birthday cake for him to celebrate! And a shake for you.

My eldest daughter was born 6 weeks early! Due just after Christmas and born just before Thanksgiving... so a total surprise, fersher!

Isn't it fun that we connect our life events to Middle-earth goings on? ;) I hope you had a fantastic party for your young man... and that you have a great weekend!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Mar 24 2023, 9:36pm

Post #8 of 24 (1870 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, sweet potatoes and marshmallows - [In reply to] Can't Post

that's a new one on me! Definitely worth trying. Mind you, with my grandsons being vegetarian, the price of veggie mallows that size is pretty eye-watering. Still, it'd be a treat. That campfire cake is gorgeous - love the sugary flames. Neither of my grandsons were early arrivals - the first was just about on time and the second was nearly two weeks overdue, induction was scheduled for the day after he made his appearance at 10lb. Ouch! He was very comfy where he was, apparently. I've discovered a robin's nest (4 eggs) in my woodstore, in a bag of twigs I was saving for kindling - which was a surprise for me and for the unsuspecting robin! No harm done, so I await the patter of tiny feet. It's a very safe and snug location, sheltered from any rain, if a bit quirky - clever robin. Lovely to see so many signs of spring - and after tomorrow night there will be lighter evenings to enjoy here, as spring marches on. Enjoy the weekend, everyone - I'm off to find out more about sweet potatoes and marshmallow cooking times now. Cheers!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 24 2023, 9:56pm

Post #9 of 24 (1867 views)
Shortcut
Hello Spring! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's still not to late for some hot chocolate! I was surprised at the sweet potato/mallows treat, too. It's definitely on my list!

What a fun surprise to find the Robin's nest in with your wood. Did you find their shells in the yard? I love the colour of their shells and am always tickled when I come across them dropped in the grass.

We just got a warning of 2-4 inches of new snow tonight/tomorrow... just when the last of the snow drifts melted during the day. HARUMPF!

I hope you have a great weekend!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Mar 24 2023, 10:06pm

Post #10 of 24 (1865 views)
Shortcut
The eggs were unbroken - [In reply to] Can't Post

I must have frightened the bird off the nest, but she went back so she wasn't scared enough to abandon it, thank goodness. I must look up the incubation period for robins! Sounds like you're not out of the woods yet with your weather. I saw pictures online of somewhere high up in the California mountains that had insane amounts of snow recently - hard to imagine how people would cope with that. Round here it's a major event if we have 4"!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 25 2023, 12:53am

Post #11 of 24 (1867 views)
Shortcut
I think I've missed the last couple of fiestas [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a busy time - mostly good busy! We had one unwanted piece of excitement when there was an *enormous* crash - we both thought the roof might have collapsed in a distant part of the house. Fortunately it turned out to be a large bookcase in the next room. No damage to the books, and Mr Kimi has repaired the bookcase (and re-stacked all those books). Very lucky, too: some dozens of books ended up right against a fine lectern/display stand Mr Kimi made for his illuminated manuscript (he's a man of many talents), but didn't knock off the manuscript, the bottles of calligraphy ink, or the glass inkwell that belonged to his great-grandfather.

We've been on a roll with re-discovering some of our unused for some time kitchen equipment. It started with the dehydrator a couple of weeks ago, and since then we've dusted off the ice cream maker, juicer, and winemaking paraphernalia. All this due to an excellent crop of fruit this autumn. The ice cream in particular is stunningly good - easily as nice as the fanciest gourmet sort I've once in a blue moon splashed out on.

Yesterday was lovely, and the tide was right, so we went kayaking up to an old hotel and had lunch in the garden. The first time we've been kayaking in ages, and a lovely way to skive off for the day :) I've had a pretty feeble writing week, but was feeling the need for fun.

This week I have my surgical exploration (Tuesday our time, Monday for most of you). I'm very grateful for the ongoing prayers and well-wishes for what it might turn up.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 25 2023, 1:56am

Post #12 of 24 (1858 views)
Shortcut
Those things are more precious than ever! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those falling shelves... the sudden crash... must have been awful!!! But to see all of those books and items scattered had to leave such a sinking feeling with fear of what was destroyed. What a miracle to find everything safe and intact. Surreal!

I'm glad you're able to put your kitchen tools back to good work! Considering all the weather and setbacks you've had this past season, having a bounty to enjoy is wonderful!

Absolutely you've been in my prayers... and now especially for the exploratory. It will be nice to know exactly what you're dealing with so all your concerns can be resolved :) HANG IN THERE!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 25 2023, 12:24pm

Post #13 of 24 (1831 views)
Shortcut
Those young plants [In reply to] Can't Post

the rose bushes and trees, they've grown enough to protect themselves! What types of trees are they, that you'd planted?

Mr. Fox keeps away from us two-legged folks, but if this is Mama Skunk that I'm smelling, then we should sometimes find her nibbling under our feeders in the early evening hours, and maybe later bringing her little ones by to do the same - they're so adorable!

Are you getting snow out there?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 25 2023, 12:35pm

Post #14 of 24 (1830 views)
Shortcut
How nice [In reply to] Can't Post

to have gotten the upgraded room! That place has a Rivendell feel to it, it must have been so relaxing. Cool

So sorry about your friend's dad, all one can do is empathize - and remember the fun times. He dated Coretta Scott??? That gives you 4 degrees of separation from MLK Jr himself! Imagine the alternate history, if she'd ended up staying with him...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 25 2023, 12:37pm

Post #15 of 24 (1830 views)
Shortcut
Just like wizards [In reply to] Can't Post

A baby is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to. Laugh

Ah well, it's an easy date to remember! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 25 2023, 12:45pm

Post #16 of 24 (1828 views)
Shortcut
An interesting place for a nest [In reply to] Can't Post

but out of the way and undisturbed. Nestlings on the way, you'll be able to keep good track of their progress!

That reminds me - we hung a gourd amongst the branches of a laurel bush last Fall, I should take a look to see if anyone moved in.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 25 2023, 12:51pm

Post #17 of 24 (1831 views)
Shortcut
What a scare [In reply to] Can't Post

with that bookcase falling, and you were quite lucky the lectern and its contents were untouched! Any idea how it came about happening?

Home-made ice cream with fresh fruits, the best kind! Then you burned up the calories with a kayaking trip, just perfect! Laugh

Prayers and well-wishes for the surgical exploration, may it go smoothly and turn up nothing that can't be readily taken care of!

Annael
Immortal

Mar 25 2023, 3:01pm

Post #18 of 24 (1826 views)
Shortcut
my engineer sibling [In reply to] Can't Post

insisted on bolting all my tall bookshelves to the wall. And they rode through a 7.1 earthquake just fine . . .

I will keep up the prayers for your surgery finding either nothing or something very easily & immediately dealt with.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 25 2023, 4:02pm

Post #19 of 24 (1821 views)
Shortcut
Remember that crazy tree I planted last year? [In reply to] Can't Post

The b'day gift from my daughter... a Red Dragon Contorted Filbert I planted last spring. I always have to protect new plants and roses (thorns and all) from the deer and bunnies during the winter. So I put light fencing or chicken wire around them and high enough that the deer can't reach them. I was relieved to see it survived the winter!

My Baltimore daughter had gotten the same tree for herself that we planted around the same time... hers very near the house. She called me in late January so upset with someone cutting the branches off. I asked her if she had deer around (even though they're in a congested city neighbourhood). Yep... she did. The deer had eaten the tender branches of the tree. Still upset, she was glad it wasn't any of her neighbours. She put up fencing to protect the rest of the tree. I think it will come back, but definitely with a different look.

Ohhhhh... how can those baby skunks be anything but adorable!? Same with raccoons. But NOT possums! Just stay out of my garage! ;)

We got some more snow overnight, but mostly freezing rain. It won't last long since the temps are just above freezing and the winds are behaving.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 27 2023, 3:08am

Post #20 of 24 (1735 views)
Shortcut
Coming in for a quick nightcap [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, gramma! We're in between storms and have had a nice couple days of sunshine, but more rain is coming in a couple of days. SoCal may actually have a dry spell after this oncoming storm, so a reprieve may be in store soon! My parents were in town the last few days visiting, and all in all we had a good time exploring. We walked 5 miles a day this weekend, which felt great given how tough it's been to walk consistently due to the constant rain recently.

Very little else going on in our neck of the woods, otherwise. Baseball season is upon us, so we'll soon buy tickets for some games here and there.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 27 2023, 10:14am

Post #21 of 24 (1713 views)
Shortcut
Here comes the sun! Wups... there it goes... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad your parents' visit went well! I was worried the weather would hamper their stay and mess with their flights. But All Well The Ends Better!

I can't believe how much So Cal has been hammered over the past several months!! I hope you do have a chance to dry out so people can recover and the lands can heal.

I hope your week goes great and the oncoming weather is merciful!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 27 2023, 4:25pm

Post #22 of 24 (1709 views)
Shortcut
That's great [In reply to] Can't Post

that you had some decent weather for their visit! So what do they think of your new place?

Basketball is still going...Lady Huskies are out, but with all their illnesses and injuries it's amazing they got as far as they did. The guys, however - they might just take it!

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 5 2023, 3:56am

Post #23 of 24 (1564 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, all went well in the end - thanks for your thoughts!

Same here...now they're talking dry days ahead for the foreseeable future, so perhaps the rainy season is more or less over (at least in our neck of the woods). The big concern upstate sounds to be the idea of a "big melt," where a way-too-warm Spring comes in and melts away the snowpack too fast, resulting in dreadful flooding. Hoping that does not come to pass!

Thanks, and hope you're starting to thaw out up there into a nice spring - or that you will soon!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 5 2023, 3:59am

Post #24 of 24 (1563 views)
Shortcut
They like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there's a bit of that generational gap, where folks who are more accustomed to home ownership probably feel that an apartment is just too small, but what can you do? Angelic If I had a big house, I'd just find a way to fill it up with stuff I don't need anyway. Laugh

Ah wow, looks like you nailed it with the UConn prediction! I didn't catch much of the Final Four/Championship, but seems like UConn really ran away with about every single game, huh? And sounds like the women's tournament was very exciting too, with Iowa's big run getting a lot of chatter.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.