The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
ROP:Waldreg

PawPrince
The Shire

Mar 16 2023, 8:10pm

Post #1 of 12 (2103 views)
Shortcut
ROP:Waldreg Can't Post

After seeing a pict for Mouth of Sauron on front page of TORN, I can’t help thinking it’s Waldreg under there.

He’s just the kind of scheming sycophant Sauron would welcome into his cult.

And yes, I love the Rings of Power. I’ve waited 40 years to see Numenor and Sauron as an actual character and not merely a symbol.

I’m all in.

(This post was edited by PawPrince on Mar 16 2023, 8:18pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 16 2023, 8:55pm

Post #2 of 12 (2071 views)
Shortcut
Very Unlikely [In reply to] Can't Post

Others have also thought that this was an interesting idea, but that would be a pretty big break from Tolkien's legendarium. The Mouth of Sauron was said to have been a living Man and a Black Númenórean. Waldreg is, as far as we know, a common Man and would have to be an undead creature by the time of the War of the Ring.

“Hell hath no fury like that of the uninvolved.” - Tony Isabella

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 16 2023, 8:57pm)

Narvi
Lorien

Mar 17 2023, 7:35pm

Post #3 of 12 (2015 views)
Shortcut
problematic [In reply to] Can't Post

Although he's definitely positioned himself to assume such a responsibility vis-a-vis Adar's regime, he's clearly chosen the wrong side in anticipation of the inevitable Sauron/Adar conflict of S2. I don't expect Sauron would forgive W's allegiance to his rival, even if he does eventually sway him to betray pseudo-Sauron.

Unrelated, but welcome to TORn!

PawPrince
The Shire

Mar 17 2023, 7:51pm

Post #4 of 12 (2006 views)
Shortcut
ROP: Waldreg [In reply to] Can't Post

In my view, they’ll do whatever serves the dramatic action and characters they’ve all ready established.

Waldreg is going to be fit in somehow or killed off in a useful way that serves the stories they’re telling. If it fits, regardless of Tolkien’s Legendarium, they’ll use it.

PawPrince
The Shire

Mar 17 2023, 8:17pm

Post #5 of 12 (1994 views)
Shortcut
Not a Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Although he's definitely positioned himself to assume such a responsibility vis-a-vis Adar's regime, he's clearly chosen the wrong side in anticipation of the inevitable Sauron/Adar conflict of S2. I don't expect Sauron would forgive W's allegiance to his rival, even if he does eventually sway him to betray pseudo-Sauron.

Unrelated, but welcome to TORn!

Waldreg did not do anything Sauron did not want to happen.

He turned the key that created Mordor. Waldreg consistently asked about where Sauron was and originally pledged loyalty to Sauron.

My guess is he will find a way to betray Adar and the Orcs to Sauron, as he did with the humans to Adar.

Thank you! Nice to be here

(This post was edited by PawPrince on Mar 17 2023, 8:21pm)

PawPrince
The Shire

Mar 17 2023, 8:20pm

Post #6 of 12 (1992 views)
Shortcut
It’s TV, not a thesis or book report. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Others have also thought that this was an interesting idea, but that would be a pretty big break from Tolkien's legendarium. The Mouth of Sauron was said to have been a living Man and a Black Númenórean. Waldreg is, as far as we know, a common Man and would have to be an undead creature by the time of the War of the Ring.

In my view, they’ll do whatever serves the dramatic action and characters they’ve all ready established.

Waldreg is going to be fit in somehow or killed off in a useful way that serves the stories they’re telling. If it fits, regardless of Tolkien’s Legendarium, they’ll use it.

PawPrince
The Shire

Mar 24 2023, 7:49pm

Post #7 of 12 (1884 views)
Shortcut
Redundant post [In reply to] Can't Post

My last post was redundant. I thought I had deleted it. Sorry for that!

About Waldreg: on the last or prior TORN Tuesday Jason confirmed the actor playing Waldreg would be returning for season 2 of ROP.

IMHOP, Sauron is going to get a lot of use out of him.

As I’ve said on Discord, Sauron needs farmers to feed his Orc army. Orcs don’t farm, they hunt. That’s a skill only humans and maybe Elves know. Taking care of animals etc, plants, crops, etc. It’s not unreasonable that Sauron would put Waldreg in charge of his kidnapped or suckered human or Elf laborers.

(This post was edited by PawPrince on Mar 24 2023, 8:00pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 25 2023, 12:47am

Post #8 of 12 (1876 views)
Shortcut
Slaves [In reply to] Can't Post

Canonically, Sauron used Mannish slaves to farm the region of Nurn in the south of Mordor (at leastt in the late the Third Age). However, it is possible that any surviving Entwives were also enslaved to work the fields.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 25 2023, 12:49am)

PawPrince
The Shire

Mar 26 2023, 9:09pm

Post #9 of 12 (1773 views)
Shortcut
Unlikely Entwives [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Canonically, Sauron used Mannish slaves to farm the region of Nurn in the south of Mordor (at leastt in the late the Third Age). However, it is possible that any surviving Entwives were also enslaved to work the fields.

Nope.

From LOTR: Return of the King“…from it south-east to join the Morgul-way, and along it many lines of small black shapes were hurrying. ‘I don’t like the look of things at all,’ said Sam. ‘Pretty hopeless, I call it – saving that where there’s such a lot of folk there must be wells or water, not to mention food. And these are Men not Orcs, or my eyes are all wrong.’ Neither he nor Frodo knew anything of the great slave-worked fields away south in this wide realm, beyond the fumes of the Mountain by the dark sad waters of Lake Núrnen; nor of the great roads that ran away east and south to tributary lands, from which the soldiers of the Tower brought long waggon-trains of goods and booty and fresh slaves.“

For heavens sake! How could anyone compel an Ent to be a Slave? Truly unlikely.

Humans are easier, reproduce more often and easily enslaved by Orcs or other men.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 26 2023, 10:38pm

Post #10 of 12 (1763 views)
Shortcut
Nope. But...! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never said that any Entwives survived into the War of the Ring. It was just speculation anyway.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 26 2023, 10:40pm)

PawPrince
The Shire

Mar 31 2023, 8:01pm

Post #11 of 12 (1620 views)
Shortcut
Entwives [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I never said that any Entwives survived into the War of the Ring. It was just speculation anyway.

And I never said Entwives didn’t survive the end of the 3rd Age.

I was quarreling with the idea that Orcs or Sauron could or would want to make Ents or Entwives slaves.

They would attempt to burn them, but given what happens in the Two Towers it seems a route to failure and not worth the time.

(This post was edited by PawPrince on Mar 31 2023, 8:05pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 1 2023, 3:42pm

Post #12 of 12 (1568 views)
Shortcut
I like this idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

it may be unlikely, but the romantic in me likes the idea that the reason the Entwives didn't return was because they weren't able to, and that once they're free they'll be reunited with the Ents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.