First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 25 2023, 6:34am

Post #1 of 56 (3384 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 25 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

Map of the Battle of the Black Gates from Journeys of Frodo: An Atlas of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings by Barbara Strachey.

March 25, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Captains of the West come to the Black Gate.
(not from the appendices)

..."No choice was left them but to play their part to its end. Therefore Aragorn now set the host in such array as could best be contrived; and they were drawn up on two great hills of blasted stone and earth that orcs had piled in years of labour... ....When all was ordered, the Captains rode forth towards the Black Gate... ...Gandalf as chief herald, and Aragorn with the sons of Elrond, and Éomer of Rohan, and Imrahil; and Legolas and Gimli and Peregrin were bidden to go also. So that all the enemies of Mordor should have a witness...
...'...Come forth! they cried. 'Let the Lord of the Black Land come forth...'

...There came a long rolling of great drums like thunder in the mountains, and then a braying of horns that shook the very stones and stunned men's ears. And thereupon the middle door of the Black Gate was thrown open with a great clang, and out of it there came an embassy from the Dark Tower... ...The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it, and he said; 'I am the Mouth of Sauron... ...Is there any one in this rout with authority to treat with me?' he asked. 'Or indeed with wit to understand me? Not thou at least!' he mocked, turning to Aragorn with scorn. 'It needs more to make a king than a piece of elvish glass, or a rabble such as this....'
......Aragorn said naught in answer, but he took the other's eye and held it, and for a moment they strove thus; but soon, though Aragorn did not stir nor move hand to weapon, the other quailed and gave back as if menaced with a blow...

...'...You have naught to fear from us, until your errand is done. But unless your master has come to new wisdom, then with all his servants you will be in great peril,' said Gandalf.
...'So!' said the Messenger. 'Then thou art the spokesman, old greybeard... ...I have tokens that I was bidden to show to thee—to thee in especial, if thou shouldst dare to come.' He signed to one of his guards, and he came forward bearing a bundle swathed in black cloths.
...The Messenger put these aside, and there to the wonder and dismay of all the Captains he held up first a short sword such as Sam had carried, and next a grey cloak with an elven-brooch, and last the coat of mithril-mail that Frodo had worn wrapped in his tattered garments. A blackness came before their eyes... ...their hearts were dead and their last hope gone. Pippin who stood behind Prince Imrahil sprang forward with a cry of grief.

...'Silence!' said Gandalf sternly, thrusting him back; but the Messenger laughed aloud.
...'So you have yet another of these imps with you!' he cried. 'What use you find in them I cannot guess... ...it is plain that this brat at least has seen these tokens before, and it would be vain for you to deny them now.'
...'I do not wish to deny them... ...But why do you bring them here?'
...'Dwarf-coat, elf-cloak, blade of the downfallen West, and spy from the little rat-land of the Shire... ...here are the marks of a conspiracy. Now, maybe he that bore these things was a creature that you would not grieve to lose, and maybe otherwise; one dear to you, perhaps? If so, take swift counsel... ...what his fate shall be depends now on your choice.'
...No one answered him; but he saw their faces grey with fear and the horror in their eyes, and he laughed again, for it seemed to him that his sport went well. 'Good, good... ...He was dear to you, I see. Or else his errand was one that you did not wish to fail? It has. And now he shall endure the slow torment of years... ...This shall surely be--unless you accept my Lord's terms...'

......Gandalf said, 'This is much to demand for the delivery of one servant... ...what surety have we that Sauron the Base Master of Treachery will keep his part...'
...'...Surety you crave! Sauron gives none... ...These are his terms. Take them or leave them!'
...'These we will take!' said Gandalf suddenly. He cast aside his cloak and a white light shone forth like a sword in that black place... ...Gandalf coming seized and took from him the tokens: coat, cloak, and sword. 'These we will take in memory of our friend,' he cried. 'But as for your terms, we reject them utterly. Get you gone, for your embassy is over and death is near to you. We did not come here to waste words in treating with Sauron, faithless and accursed; still less with one of his slaves. Begone...!'

2. The Host is surrounded on the Slag Hills.
(from the appendices)

..."...Down from the hills on either side of the Morannon poured Orcs innumerable. The men of the West were trapped, and soon, all about the grey mounds where they stood, forces ten times and more than ten times their match would ring them in a sea of enemies... ...Upon the one hill Aragorn stood with Gandalf, and there fair and desperate was raised the banner of the Tree and Stars. Upon the other hill hard by stood the banners of Rohan and Dol Amroth, White Horse and Silver Swan... ...But in the front towards Mordor where the first bitter assault would come there stood the sons of Elrond on the left with Dúnedain about them, and on the right the Prince Imrahil with the men of Dol Amroth tall and fair, and picked men of the Tower...

......Pippin had bowed crushed with horror when he heard Gandalf reject the terms and doom Frodo to the torment of the Tower; but he had mastered himself, and now he stood beside Beregond in the front rank of Gondor with Imrahil's men... '...I wish Merry was here...'
......the first assault crashed into them... ...a great company of hill-trolls... ...Like a storm they broke upon the line of the men of Gondor... ...At Pippin's side Beregond was stunned and overborne, and he fell: and the great troll-chief that smote him down bent over him, reaching out a clutching claw; for these fell creatures would bite the throats of those that they threw down.
...Then Pippin stabbed upwards, and the written blade of Westernesse pierce through the hide and went deep into the vitals of the troll, and his black blood came gushing out. He toppled forward and came crashing down... ...burying those beneath him. Blackness and stench and crushing pain came upon Pippin, and his mind fell away into a great darkness....'"

3. Downfall of Barad-dûr and the passing of Sauron.
(from the appendices)

..."...under the wings of the Nazgûl the shadows of death fell dark upon the earth. Aragorn stood beneath his banner, silent and stern... ...Upon the hill-top stood Gandalf, and he was white and cold and no shadow fell upon him....
......As if to his eyes some sudden vision had been given, Gandalf stirred; and he turned, looking back north where the skies were pale and clear. Then he lifted up his hands and cried in a loud voice ringing above the din: 'The Eagles are coming!'
...There came Gwaihir the Windlord, and Landroval his brother, greatest of all the Eagles of the North... ...behind them in long swift lines came all their vassals from the northern mountains, speeding on a gathering wind. Straight down upon the Nazgûl they bore, stooping suddenly out of the high airs, and the rush of their wide wings as they passed over was like a gale.
...But the Nazgûl turned and fled, and vanished into Mordor's shadows, hearing a sudden terrible call out of the Dark Tower; and even at that moment all the hosts of Mordor trembled... ...The Power that drove them on and filled them with hate and fury was wavering, its will was removed from them; and now looking in the eyes of their enemies they saw a deadly light and were afraid....

......Gandalf lifted up his arms and called once more in a clear voice. 'Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom.'
...And even as he spoke the earth rocked beneath their feet. Then rising swiftly up, far above the Towers of the Black Gate, high above the mountains, a vast soaring darkness sprang into the sky, flickering with fire. The earth groaned and quaked. The Towers of the Teeth swayed... ...the Black Gate was hurled in ruin...
...'...The realm of Sauron is ended!' said Gandalf. 'The Ring-bearer has fulfilled his Quest.' And as the Captains gazed south to the Land of Mordor, it seemed to them... ...there rose a huge shape of shadow, impenetrable, lightning-crowned, filling all the sky. Enormous it reared above the world, and stretched out towards them a vast threatening hand, terrible but impotent: for even as it leaned over them, a great wind took it, and it was all blown away, and passed; and then a hush fell....

......Then Gandalf, leaving all such matters of battle and command to Aragorn and the other lords, stood upon the hill-top and called; and down to him came the great eagle, Gwaihir the Windlord, and stood before him.
...'Twice you have borne me, Gwaihir my friend... ...Thrice shall pay for all, if you are willing. You will not find me a burden much greater than when you bore me from Zirak-zigil, where my old life burned away.'
...'I would bear you,' answered Gwaihir, 'whither you will, even were you made of stone.'
...'Then come, and let your brother go with us, and some other of your folk who is most swift! For we have need of speed greater than any wind, outmatching the wings of the Nazgûl.'
...'The North Wind blows, but we shall outfly it,' said Gwaihir. And he lifted up Gandalf and sped away south and with him went Landroval, and Meneldor... ...And they passed over Udûn and Gorgoroth and saw all the land in ruin and tumult beneath them, and before them Mount Doom blazing, pouring out its fire."

4. Frodo and Samwise reach the Sammath Naur.
(from the appendices)

..."The path climbed on... ...and came to the dark door in the Mountain's side, the door of the Sammath Naur... ...all Mordor lay about the Mountain like a dead land, silent, shadow-folded, waiting for some dreadful stroke.
...Sam came to the gaping mouth and peered in. It was dark and hot, and a deep rumbling shook the air. 'Frodo! Master!' he called. There was no answer. For a moment he stood, his heart beating with wild fears, and then he plunged in. A shadow followed him.
...At first he could see nothing. In his great need he drew out once more the phial of Galadriel, but it was pale and cold in his trembling hand and threw no light into that stifling dark. He was come to the heart of the realm of Sauron and the forges of his ancient might, greatest in Middle-earth; all other powers were here subdued... ...all at once there came a flash of red that leaped upward, and smote the high black roof. Then Sam saw that he was in a long cave or tunnel that bored into the Mountain's smoking cone....
......The light sprang up again, and there on the brink of the chasm, at the very Crack of Doom, stood Frodo, black against the glare, tense, erect, but still as if he had been turned to stone.
...'Master!' cried Sam.
...Then Frodo stirred and spoke with a clear voice... ...clearer and more powerful than Sam had ever heard him use, and it rose above the throb and turmoil of Mount Doom, ringing in the roof and walls.
...'I have come... ...But I do not choose now to do what I came to do. I will not do this deed. The Ring is mine!' And suddenly, as he set it on his finger, he vanished from Sam's sight. Sam gasped, but he had no chance to cry out... ...Something struck Sam violently in the back, his legs were knocked from under him and he was flung aside, striking his head against the stony floor, as a dark shape sprang over him. He lay still and for a moment all went black."

5. Gollum seizes the Ring and falls into the Cracks of Doom.
(from the appendices)

..."Sam got up... ...dazed, and blood from his head dripped in his eyes. He groped forward, and then he saw a strange and terrible thing. Gollum on the edge of the abyss was fighting like a mad thing with an unseen foe...
......The fires below awoke in anger, the red light blazed... ...Suddenly Sam saw Gollum's long hands draw upwards to his mouth; his white fangs gleamed, and then snapped as they bit. Frodo gave a cry, and there he was, fallen upon his knees at the chasm's edge. But Gollum, dancing like a mad thing, held aloft the ring with Frodo's finger still thrust within its circle. It shone now as if verily it was wrought of living fire.
...'Precious, precious, precious!' Gollum cried... ...he stepped too far, toppled, wavered for a moment on the brink, and then with a shriek he fell. Out of the depths came his last wail PRECIOUS, and he was gone.

......Sam ran to Frodo and picked him up and carried him out to the door. And there above the plains of Mordor, such wonder and terror came on him that he stood still forgetting all else, and gazed as one turned to stone... ...there came a rumble, rising to a deafening crash and roar; and the earth shook, the plain heaved and cracked, and Orodruin reeled. Fire belched from its riven summit. The skies burst into thunder seared with lightening. Down like lashing whips fell a torrent of black rain. And into the heart of the storm, with a cry that pierced all other sounds... ...the Nazgûl came, shooting like flaming bolts, as caught in the fiery ruin of hill and sky they crackled, withered, and went out.

...'Well, this is the end, Sam Gamgee,' said a voice by his side. And there was Frodo, pale and worn, and yet himself again; and in his eyes there was peace now, neither strain of will, nor madness, nor any fear. His burden was taken away. There was the dear master of the sweet days in the Shire.
...'Master!' cried Sam, and fell upon his knees. In all that ruin of the world for the moment he felt only joy... ...The burden was gone. His master had been saved; he was himself again, he was free. And then he caught sight of the maimed and bleeding hand.
...'Your poor hand!' he said. 'And I have nothing to bind it with, or comfort it. I would have spared him a whole hand of mine rather. But he's gone now beyond recall, gone forever.'
...'Yes... ...But do you remember Gandalf's words: "Even Gollum may have something yet to do?" But for him, Sam, I could not have destroyed the Ring. The Quest would have been in vain, even at the bitter end. So let us forgive him! For the Quest is achieved and now all is over. I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam....'

...'...Yes, I am with you, Master,' said Sam, laying Frodo's wounded hand gently to his breast. 'And you're with me. And the journey's finished. But after coming all that way I don't want to give up yet. It's not like me, somehow, if you understand.' ...'Maybe not, Sam... ...but it's like things are in the world. Hopes fail. An end comes. We have only a little time to wait now. We are lost in ruin and downfall, and there is no escape.'
...'Well, Master, we could at least go further from this dangerous place here, from this Crack of Doom, if that's its name...'
...'...Very well, Sam. If you wish to go, I'll come,' said Frodo; and they rose and went slowly down... ...towards the Mountain's quaking feet, a great smoke and steam belched from the Sammath Naur, and the side of the cone was riven open, and a huge fiery vomit rolled in slow thunderous cascade down the eastern mountain-side.

...Frodo and Sam could go no further. Their last strength of mind and body was swiftly ebbing. They had reached a low ashen hill piled at the Mountain's foot; but from it there was no more escape....

......And so it was that Gwaihir saw them with his keen far-seeing eyes, as down the wild wind he came... ...two small dark figures, forlorn, hand in hand upon a little hill, while the world shook under them... ...And even as he espied them and came swooping down, he saw them fall, worn out, or choked with fumes and heat, or stricken down by despair at last, hiding their eyes from death.
...Side by side they lay; and down swept Gwaihir, and down came Landroval and Meneldor the swift; and in a dream, not knowing what fate had befallen them, the wanderers were lifted up and borne far away..."

6. Minas Tirith
(from the appendices)

..."And so the fifth day came since the Lady Éowyn went first to Faramir; and they stood now together once more upon the wall of the City and looked out. No tidings had yet come, and all hearts were darkened...

...'...What do you look for, Éowyn?' said Faramir.
...'Does not the Black Gate lie yonder?' said she. 'And must he not now be come thither? It is seven days since he rode away.'
...'Seven day,' said Faramir. 'But think not ill of me, if I say to you: they have brought me both a joy and a pain that I never thought to know. Joy to see you; but pain, because now the fear and doubt of this evil time are grown dark indeed. Éowyn, I would not have this world end now, or lose so soon what I have found.'
...'Lose what you have found, lord?' she answered... '...I know not what in these days you have found that you could lose. But come, my friend, let us not speak of it! Let us not speak at all! I stand upon some dreadful brink, and it is utterly dark in the abyss before my feet... ...I wait for some stroke of doom.'
...'Yes, we wait for the stroke of doom,' said Faramir. And they said no more... ...And as they stood so, their hands met and clasped, though they did not know it. And still they waited for they knew not what. Then... ...above the ridges of the distant mountains another vast mountain of darkness rose, towering up like a wave that should engulf the world, and about it lightnings flickered; and then a tremor ran through the earth, and they felt the walls of the City quiver. A sound like a sigh went up from all the lands about them; and their hearts beat suddenly again.
...'It reminds me of Númenor,' said Faramir, and wondered to hear himself speak.
...'Of Númenor?'
...'Yes,' said Faramir, 'of the land of Westernesse that foundered, and of the great dark wave climbing over the green lands and above the hills, and coming on, darkness inescapable. I often dream of it.'
...'Then you think that the Darkness is coming... ...Darkness Unescapable?' And suddenly she drew close to him.
...'No,' said Faramir, looking into her face. 'It was but a picture in the mind. I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. Éowyn, Éowyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!' And he stooped and kissed her brow...

.....And before the Sun had fallen far from the noon out of the East there came a great Eagle flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope from the Lords of the West, crying: 'Sing now, ye people of the Tower of Anor, for the Realm of Sauron is ended for ever, and the Dark Tower is thrown down.'"

7. Gondor proclaims their New Year on this date.

[Gandalf speaking to Sam after he wakes in The Field of Cormallen]
... '...in Gondor the New Year will always now begin upon the twenty-fifth of March when Sauron fell, and when you were brought out of the fire to the King.'"

March 25, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Frodo comes home.

..."Sam stayed… …with the Gaffer. In addition to all his other labours he was busy directing the cleaning up and restoring of Bag End; but he was often away in the Shire on his forestry work... ...meanwhile Bag End had been set in order and Merry and Pippin came over from Crickhollow bringing back all the old furniture and gear, so that the old hole soon looked very much as it always had done."

March 25, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. Birth of Elanor the Fair, daughter of Samwise.
(from the appendices)

..."Frodo was ill again in March, but with a great effort he concealed it... ...Sam had other things to think about. The first of Sam and Rosie's children was born on the twenty-fifth of March, a date that Sam noted.
...'Well, Mr. Frodo,' he said. 'I'm in a bit of a fix. Rose and me had settled to call him Frodo... ...but it's not him, it's her. Though as pretty a maidchild as any one could hope for... ...So we don't know what to do.'
...'Well, Sam,' said Frodo, 'what's wrong with the old customs? Choose a flower name like Rose. Half the maidchildren in the Shire are called by such names, and what could be better?'
...'I suppose you're right, Mr. Frodo... ...I've heard some beautiful names on my travels, but I suppose they're a bit too grand for daily wear and tear... ...The Gaffer, he says: "Make it short, and then you won't have to cut it short before you can use it." But if it's to be a flower-name, then I don't trouble about the length: it must be a beautiful flower, because, you see, I think she is very beautiful, and is going to be beautifuller still.'
...Frodo thought for a moment. 'Well, Sam, what about elanor, the sun-star, you remember the little golden flower in the grass of Lothlórien?'
...'You're right again, Mr. Frodo!' said Sam delighted. 'That's what I wanted.'"

March 25, 2003
Tolkien Reading Day

...Launched in 2003 by the Tolkien Society, this annual event is a celebration of J.R.R. Tolkien's works. It encourages individuals, library groups, and education to engage in the study, discussion, and just plain enjoyment of life in Middle-earth... and beyond. The date of March 25 was chosen in honour of the fall of Sauron and the destruction of the One Ring.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 26 2023, 4:15am

Post #2 of 56 (3155 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

Fascinating that all these things, each exceedingly important, happen on New Year’s Day—or would have been by Medieval England reckoning. There are so many layers to the choices our Professor made.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 26 2023, 1:22pm

Post #3 of 56 (3104 views)
Shortcut
Thank you :) [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choices" Wow....

When you think of Tolkien as he wrote this sprawling story and brought it all together to this one day... amazing!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 26 2023, 1:25pm

Post #4 of 56 (3103 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 26, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Shadow is lifted.
(from Appendix B: The Tale Of Years: The Third Age: The Great Years)

..."After the fall of the Dark Tower and the passing of Sauron the Shadow was lifted from the hearts of all who opposed him, but fear and despair fell upon his servants and allies."

2. Gimli finds Pippin fallen on the field.

... "I shall never forget… …finding you on the hill of the last battle. But for Gimli the Dwarf you would have been lost then... ...I know now the look of a hobbit's foot, though it be all that can been seen under a heap of bodies.'"

3. In Minas Tirith

..."The days that followed were golden, and Spring and Summer joined and made revel together in the fields of Gondor."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 26 2023, 8:00pm

Post #5 of 56 (3093 views)
Shortcut
For sure, and… [In reply to] Can't Post

In the spirit of bringing things together check out this Tolkien Reading Day thread organized by N.E. Brigand 13 years ago (!!): http://newboards.theonering.net/...latest_reply;so=ASC;

Silvered-glass
Lorien

Mar 26 2023, 9:23pm

Post #6 of 56 (3071 views)
Shortcut
Significant Dates [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of important things also happen on astronomical dates like solstices and equinoxes. Bilbo and Frodo were both born on the fall equinox, for example.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 27 2023, 10:03am

Post #7 of 56 (3010 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 27, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Bard II and Thorin III Stonehelm drive the enemy from Dale.
(from the appendices - Appendix B: The Tale Of Years: The Third Age: The Great Years)

..."... a host of the allies of Sauron... ...crossed the River Carnen... ...to Dale. There... ...was a great battle at the Mountain's feet.... ...both King Brand and King Dáin Ironfoot were slain, and the Easterlings had the victory. But they could not take the Gate... ...Dwarves and Men, took refuge in Erebor, and there withstood a siege.
...When news came of the great victories in the South, then Sauron's northern army was filled with dismay; and the besieged came forth and routed them, and the remnant fled into the East and troubled Dale no more. Then Bard II, Brand's son, became King in Dale, and Thorin III Stonehelm, Dáin's son, became King under the Mountain...."

..."...Sauron might have done great evil in the North, if King Dáin and King Brand had not stood in his path. Even as Gandalf said afterwards to Frodo and Gimli, when they dwelt together for a time in Minas Tirith....
...'...I grieved at the fall of Thorin,' said Gandalf; 'and now we hear that Dáin has fallen, fighting in Dale again, even while we fought here...
...'...Yet things might have gone far otherwise and far worse. When you think of the great Battle of the Pelennor, do not forget the battles in Dale and the valour of Durin's Folk... ...of what might have been. Dragon-fire and savage swords in Eriador, night in Rivendell. There might be no Queen in Gondor. We might now hope to return from the victory here only to ruin and ash. But... ...averted - because I met Thorin Oakenshield one evening on the edge of spring in Bree. A chance-meeting, as we say in Middle-earth....'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 27 2023, 10:20am

Post #8 of 56 (3011 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't noticed that! [In reply to] Can't Post

*scribbles notes* I knew they were born the same date of the month, but didn't stop to think about the equinox. Tolkien always seemed to factor in astronomical movements in his storytelling :)

THANKS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 27 2023, 10:33am

Post #9 of 56 (3012 views)
Shortcut
Wow!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for this! It's incredible. #1 because of NEB's brilliance and #2 because you saved it and shared it here :D

I'm going to have to grab a cup of my homemade coffee and read this. Certainly worthy of more than just a glance. I'm also enjoying all the sibbies' names and contributions. *sigh* The comfort of home :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 27 2023, 2:48pm

Post #10 of 56 (3007 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
A lot of important things also happen on astronomical dates like solstices and equinoxes. Bilbo and Frodo were both born on the fall equinox, for example.

Sorta, kinda, not really. At least not using the Shire Reckoning, where the autumnal equinox would have fallen approximately around October 1st (1 Winterfilth) and the vernal equinox would have fallen around April 1st (1 Astron).

One of the things that makes it difficult to fully reconcile The Hobbit with The Lord of the Rings is the observation of Mid-year's Day which seems to fall around June 24 in the former work and falls in the middle of the Lithedays between the end of June and the beginning of July in the Shire calendar.

“Hell hath no fury like that of the uninvolved.” - Tony Isabella

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 27 2023, 2:54pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 28 2023, 2:38am

Post #11 of 56 (2979 views)
Shortcut
How many months [In reply to] Can't Post

How many months were there in the calendar by Shire reckoning?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 28 2023, 1:21pm

Post #12 of 56 (2936 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 28, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Celeborn crosses Anduin; destruction of Dol Guldur begun.
(from the appendices)

..."Though grievous harm was done to the fair woods on the borders, the assaults were driven back; and when the Shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and led the host of Lórien over Anduin in many boats. They took Dol Guldur, and Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was cleansed."

2. Free from the land of the Shadow.
(not from the appendices—no text)

...Under the care of the King's healing hand, Frodo and Samwise rest in fair Ithilien in a deep, merciful sleep while a cloaked, bent figure sits quietly by, smoking and watching.

March 28, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. The Lady's gift and the Gardener's labours grace the Shire.

..."Spring surpassed his wildest hopes. His trees began to sprout and grow, as if time was in a hurry and wished to make one year do for twenty."

2. Lobelia Sackville-Baggins passes in the Spring.

[This first part isn't what happened today... it's just a buildup for Lobelia's post in the second part]
[November 4, 3019]
..."...she looked very old and thin when they rescued her from a dark and narrow cell. She insisted on hobbling out on her own feet; and she had... ...such clapping and cheering when she appeared, leaning on Frodo's arm but still clutching her umbrella, that she was quite touched and drove away in tears. She had never in her life been popular before. But she was crushed by the news of Lotho's murder, and she would not return to Bag End. She gave it back to Frodo, and went to her own people, the Bracegirdles of Hardbottle..."

[March 28, 3020]
..."When the poor creature died next Spring—she was after all more than a hundred years old—Frodo was surprised and much moved: she had left all that remained of her money and of Lotho's for him to use in helping hobbits made homeless by the troubles. So that feud was ended."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 28 2023, 2:23pm

Post #13 of 56 (2935 views)
Shortcut
12 Months + 5 to 6 Days [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How many months were there in the calendar by Shire reckoning?

There were 12 months in the Shire calendar with 5 days (6 in leap years) that fell outside of the months.

2 Yule: (the first day of the year)
Afteryule (January)
Solmath (February)
Rethe (March)
Astron (April)
Thrimidge (May)
Forelithe (June)
1 Lithe
Mid-year's Day (Midsummer's Day; coincided as nearly as possible with the summer solstice)
Overlithe (leap years only)
2 Lithe
Afterlithe (July)
Wedmath (August)
Halimath (September)
Winterfilth (October)
Blotmath (November)
Foreyule (December)
1 Yule (the last day of the year)

All months in the Shire calendar had 30 days. The first day of the year in the Shire Reckoning was 10 days in advance of our own January 1st. The Yuletide observance lasted a total of six days: from 29 Foreyule to 2 Afteryule. The period from 1 Lithe to 2 Lithe was celebrated as the Lithedays. This was when the Free Fair was held.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 28 2023, 2:31pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 29 2023, 1:48pm

Post #14 of 56 (2885 views)
Shortcut
Addendum [In reply to] Can't Post

There were seven days of the week in the Shire calendar: Sterday, Sunday, Monday, Trewsday, Hevensday (or Hensday), Mersday, and Highday. Every month began on a Sterday (Saturday) and ended on Highday (Friday). The Lithdays and Yuledays fell outside of, not only the months, but also the weeks.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 29 2023, 1:50pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 29 2023, 2:19pm

Post #15 of 56 (2884 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 29 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 29, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Minas Tirith prepares.

..."...tidings now came by swift riders from Cair Andros of all that was done, and the City made ready for the coming of the King. Merry was summoned and rode away with the wains that took store of goods to Osgiliath... ...by ship to Cair Andros; but Faramir did not go, for now being healed he took upon him his authority and the stewardship, although it was only for a little while, and his duty was to prepare for one who should replace him.
...And Éowyn did not go, though her brother sent word begging her to come to the field of Cormallen. And Faramir wondered at this, but he saw her seldom... ...and she dwelt still in the Houses of Healing and walked alone in the garden, and her face grew pale again and it seemed that in all the City she only was ailing and sorrowful."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 29 2023, 8:37pm

Post #16 of 56 (2873 views)
Shortcut
A drabble for the moment [In reply to] Can't Post

Merry’s excitement could hardly be contained - but it did not hinder his appetite.

Faramir, seated across the table from him, laughed. “The Shire-folk are certainly hearty eaters!”

“But the journey’s long, and we leave shortly. How splendid, I can’t wait to see them all again!” He paused. “I wish Éowyn were going with us. Is she still not healed, Faramir?”

Faramir sighed. “She is still in the care of the Warden.” But he thought: Amidst all this joy, she sorrows! Does she not know her own heart? Would it harm or heal, were I to speak my heart to her?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 30 2023, 2:12am

Post #17 of 56 (2862 views)
Shortcut
*applause!* :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh dernwyn... that was fun!!! THANKS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 30 2023, 1:31pm

Post #18 of 56 (2851 views)
Shortcut
TIME - March 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

March 30, 2942 (S.R. 1342)
1. Bilbo and Gandalf rest at Beorn's home.
(determined from text - no text - a drabble)

... Gandalf and Bilbo recover from their adventures in the safety of Beorn's home. There was no shortage of wonderful food, warm evenings before the huge fire in the great hall, and a chance for three great story-tellers to share their tales. But Bilbo's longing for his own chair and fire at Bag End grew. He would spend long hours in the quiet room given to him by Beorn. This is where he began his first journal and he would write page upon page of his adventures since he left the Mountain, as well as many reflective moments of the Shire.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 30 2023, 7:33pm

Post #19 of 56 (2842 views)
Shortcut
Resting, but not for much longer? [In reply to] Can't Post

My own suspicion is that Gandalf and Bilbo were at this point beginning their preparations to depart Beorn's to resume their return journey. This date in the Shire Reckoning would have been close to the vernal equinox. 6 April marked the beginning of the new year in the calendar of Imladris and might have been seen as an auspicious day to begin a journey.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 31 2023, 12:25pm

Post #20 of 56 (2830 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that we have a short respite from many incredible events, let's have a 4-part visit of Gandalf and where it all began. Here's part 1 of 4 scattered through the coming days... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age: The Silmarillion

..."...the Shadow of Sauron and the sign of his return... ...coming out of the wastes of the East he took up his abode in the south of [Mirkwood] forest, and slowly he grew and took shape there again; in a dark hill he made his dwelling and wrought there his sorcery, and all folk feared the Sorcerer of Dol Guldur, and yet they knew not at first how great was their peril.
...Even as the first shadows were felt in Mirkwood there appeared in the west of Middle-earth the Istari, whom Men called the Wizards. None knew at that time whence they were, save Círdan of the Havens, and only to Elrond and to Galadriel did he reveal that they came over the Sea... ...it was said among the Elves that they were messengers sent by the Lords of the West to contest the power of Sauron, if he should arise again, and to move Elves and Men and all living things of good will to valiant deeds. In the likeness of Men they appeared, old but vigorous, and they changed little with the years, and aged but slowly, though great cares lay on them; great wisdom they had, and many powers of mind and hand. Long they journeyed far and wide among Elves and Men, and held converse also with beasts and with birds; and the peoples of Middle-earth gave to them many names, for their true names they did not reveal. Chief among them... ...the Elves called Mithrandir and Curunír, but Men in the North named Gandalf and Saruman. Of these Curunír was the eldest and came first, and after him came Mithrandir and Radagast, and others of the Istari who went into the east of Middle-earth, and do not come into these tales. Radagast was the friend of all beasts and birds; but Curunír went most among Men, and he was subtle in speech and skilled in all the devices of smith-craft. Mithrandir was closest in counsel with Elrond and the Elves. He wandered far in the North and West and made never in any land any lasting abode; but Curunír journeyed into the East, and when he returned he dwelt at Orthanc in the Ring of Isengard, which the Númenóreans made in the days of their power."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 1 2023, 2:31pm

Post #21 of 56 (2793 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some Foolish BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's go on an April Fool's Day adventure!

A few years ago, I did a Book Spoiler hunt on how many different ways and times and where the word "fool" was used by Professor Tolkien in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Take a look at how FOOLISH it is in Middle-earth...for a moment or two of Tolkien-zen.

Can you guess which chapters any or all of these came from?
Who said the foolish word (where not shown)?
Which chapter was the most foolish?
Which chapters weren't foolish at all?

[Tolkien, 1966 Ballantine: The Hobbit]
[Tolkien, 1965 Ballantine: The Lord of the Rings]

The Lord of the Rings (sans Appendices)
1. "They fool about with boats on that big river—and that isn't natural."
2. "I believe that Mad Baggins is off again. Silly old fool."
3. "Gandalf stood up. He spoke sternly. 'You will be a fool if you do, Bilbo,' he said. 'You make that clearer with every word you say."
4. "Well, as for the name, Bilbo very foolishly told Gollum himself..."
5. "Wretched fool! In that land he would learn much, too much for his comfort."
6. "Don't be a fool! What have you heard, and why did you listen?"
7. "...feeling that amazement could go no further, and quite unable to decide whether he felt angry, amused, relieved, or merely foolish."
8. "Tell me, if my asking does not seem foolish, who is Tom Bombadil?"
9. "Frodo suddenly felt very foolish, and found himself (as was his habit when making a speech) fingering the things in his pocket."
10. "Frodo felt a fool. Not knowing what else to do, he crawled away..."
11. "...why on earth did we behave so foolishly..."
12. "You have a stout heart,' he said; 'but it was foolish."
13. "He bitterly regretted his foolishness, and reproached himself for weakness of will..."
14. "Radagast the Fool!"
15. "You need not speak to me as to one of the fools that you take for friends."
16. "If this delay was his fault, I will melt all the butter in him. I will roast the old fool over a slow fire."
17. "Ass! Fool! Thrice worthy and beloved Barliman!"
18. "...if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words."
19. "Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking party."
20. "It may have nothing to do with Peregrin's foolish stone; but probably something has been disturbed that would have been better left quiet."
21. "So ended the attempt to retake Moria! It was valiant but foolish."
22. "Fly, you fools!"
23. "A merry troop of fools we shall look!"
24. "Fool! Obstinate fool! Running willfully to death and ruining our cause."
25. "...there came to his mind another thought: Take it off! Take it off! Fool, take it off! Take off the Ring!"
26. "...let Gimli the Dwarf Glóin's son warn you against foolish words."
27. "Rest while you can, little fool!"
28. "Saruman is a fool, and a dirty treacherous fool."
29. "You fools! You should have shot him. He'll raise the alarm."
30. "You went in a hurry. Did you leave anything behind?' 'I left a fool,' snarled Grishnákh."
31. "My dear tender little fools..."
32. "We keep off strangers and the foolhardy..."
33. "So the forces that he has long been preparing he is now setting in motion, sooner than he intended. Wise fool."
34. "Foolishness!' said Gandalf. 'Prudence is one thing, but discourtesy is another."
35. "That fool, Háma, has betrayed us!"
36. "But you speak like a fool. Do you think those halls are fair, where your King dwells...?"
37. "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard?"
38. "I am no fool, and I do not trust you, Gandalf."
39. "Do not be a fool. If you wish to treat with me, while you have a chance, go away, and come back when you are sober!"
40. "You have become a fool, Saruman, and yet pitiable."
41. "Unhappy fool! He will be devoured, if the power of the East stretches out its arms to Isengard."
42. "You idiotic fool!' Pippin muttered to himself. 'You're going to get yourself into frightful trouble."
43. "A fool, but an honest fool, you remain, Peregrin Took."
44. "Yet he must bear the blame. Fool! to keep it secret, for his own profit."
45. "Oh yes, you had,' said Gandalf. 'You knew you were behaving wrongly and foolishly; and you told yourself so, though you did not listen."
46. "You revealed yourself to me just now, foolishly."
47. "Silly hobbits, foolish, yes foolish! They mustn't do it!"
48. "Don't you go taking advantage of my master because his servant's no better than a fool."
49. "Not here, no. Not rest here. Fools! Eyes can see us."
50. "Foolish! Silly!' he hissed. 'Make haste!"
51. "Very foolish, very dangerous--if poor Sméagol wasn't sneaking about to watch."
52. "You fool,' snarled Shagrat. 'You've been talking very clever..."
53. "You fool, he isn't dead, and your heart knew it."
54. "...you must pardon my foolishness.' 'I do,' said Pippin. 'Though you are not far wrong."
55. "Counsels may be found that are neither the webs of wizards nor the haste of fools."
56. "... most surely not for any argument would he have set this thing at a hazard beyond all but a fool's hope..."
57. "There never was much hope,' he answered. 'Just a fool's hope, as I have been told."
58. "Maybe even your foolishness helped, my lad."
59. "The fool's hope has failed."
60. "Follow whom you will, even the Grey Fool, though his hope has failed."
61. "Why do the fools fly?"
62. "...I want to see Gandalf very much indeed. But he is no fool..."
63. "Old fool!' he said to Gandalf. 'Old fool! This is my hour."
64. "Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
65. "Nay, I have seen more than thou knowest, Grey Fool."
66. "...thou shalt see what comes to him who sets his foolish webs before the feet of Sauron the Great."
67. "Don't be a fool, Sam Gamgee,' came an answer in his own voice."
68. "You are the fool, going on hoping and toiling."
69. "... you Shirriffs look a lot of Tom-fools."
70. "I told Sharkey it was no good trusting those little fools."
71. "You are a ruffian and a fool."
72. "Miserable fool, but I am sorry for him."
73. "He has been a wicked fool, but he's caught now."
74. "...all of them except perhaps one or two rascals, and a few fools that want to be important..."
75. "He knew too little of hobbits to understand his peril. Foolishly he decided to fight."
76. "Only that fool Ted was pleased by that..."
77. "I don't believe that fool of a Pimple's behind all this."
78. "Don't waste any more words on the fool, Sam!"
79. "...if they're such fools, I will get ahead of them and teach them a lesson."

The Hobbit
1. "Bilbo, you were a fool; you walked right in and put your foot in it."
2. "Don't be a fool, Bilbo Baggins!" he said to himself, "thinking of dragons and all that outlandish nonsense at your age!"
3. "You're a fat fool, William..."
4. "...Thorin and his friends think them foolish (which is a very foolish thing to think)"
5. "Don't be a fool Mr. Baggins if you can help it..."
6. "The dwarves were inclined to grumble at this, but the wizard told them they were fools."
7. "Some of the more foolish ran out of the hut as if they expected the Mountain to go golden in the night..."
8. "Dear me, what a fool I was and am!"
9. "Staggering!" exclaimed Bilbo aloud, but what he thought inside was: "Old fool!"
10. "Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
11. "The dragon is coming or I am a fool!"
12. "...not the most foolish doubted that the prophecies had gone rather wrong."
13. "Fools!" said Bard. "Why waste words and wrath on those unhappy creatures?"
14. "Such a fool deserves to starve"
15. "Fools!" laughed Bard, "to come thus beneath the Mountain's..."
16. "You are a fool, Bilbo Baggins, and you made a great mess of that business with the stone..."

Answers in separate post...

...no foolin'!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 1 2023, 4:43pm

Post #22 of 56 (2786 views)
Shortcut
***FOOLISH ANSWERS [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are the locations of the Foolish quotes. The page numbers may vary according to which edition you're accessing... but they're around these page numbers somewhere ;) Wink

The Lord of the Rings – A variation of FOOL was used 79 times
The Hobbit – A variation of FOOL was used 16 times

**Which chapter was the most foolish?
.......The Lord of the Rings: The Scouring of the Shire (11 times)
.......The Hobbit – There's a tie: Inside Information (3 times) and Fire and Water (3 times)

[Tolkien, 1966 Ballantine: The Hobbit]
[Tolkien, 1965 Ballantine: The Lord of the Rings]

**Which chapters did these came from and who said them?
[Be aware that different editions may have the text falling on a different page number.]

The Lord of the Rings (sans Appendices)
1. "They fool about with boats on that big river—and that isn't natural."" --- pg 45 A Long-Expected Party by the Gaffer
2. "I believe that Mad Baggins is off again. Silly old fool."" --- pg 56 A Long-Expected Party by Rory Brandybuck
3. "Gandalf stood up. He spoke sternly. 'You will be a fool if you do, Bilbo,' he said. 'You make that clearer with every word you say.'" --- pg 60 A Long-Expected Party by Gandalf
4. "Well, as for the name, Bilbo very foolishly told Gollum himself...'" --- pg 89 The Shadow of the Past by Gandalf
5. "Wretched fool! In that land he would learn much, too much for his comfort.'" --- pg 91 The Shadow of the Past by Gandalf
6. "Don't be a fool! What have you heard, and why did you listen?" --- pg 97 The Shadow of the Past by Gandalf
7. "...feeling that amazement could go no further, and quite unable to decide whether he felt angry, amused, relieved, or merely foolish." --- pg 150 A Conspiracy Unmasked by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding Frodo
8. "Tell me, if my asking does not seem foolish, who is Tom Bombadil?'" --- pg 173 In the House of Tom Bombadil (1) by Frodo
9. "Frodo suddenly felt very foolish, and found himself (as was his habit when making a speech) fingering the things in his pocket." --- pg 216 At the Sign of the Prancing Pony by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding Frodo
10. "Frodo felt a fool. Not knowing what else to do, he crawled away..." --- pg 219 At the Sign of the Prancing Pony by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding Frodo
11. "...why on earth did we behave so foolishly...'" --- pg 224 Strider by Frodo
12. "You have a stout heart,' he said; 'but it was foolish.'" --- pg 235 Strider by Strider
13. "He bitterly regretted his foolishness, and reproached himself for weakness of will..." --- pg 266 Flight to the Ford by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding Frodo
14. "Radagast the Fool!'" --- pg 338 The Council of Elrond by Saruman
15. "You need not speak to me as to one of the fools that you take for friends.'" --- pg 339 The Council of Elrond by Saruman
16. "If this delay was his fault, I will melt all the butter in him. I will roast the old fool over a slow fire.'" --- pg 345 The Council of Elrond by Gandalf
17. "Ass! Fool! Thrice worthy and beloved Barliman!'" --- pg 345 The Council of Elrond by Gandalf
18. "...if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'" --- pg 400 A Journey in the Dark by Gandalf
19. "Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking party.'" --- pg 408 A Journey in the Dark by Gandalf
20. "It may have nothing to do with Peregrin's foolish stone; but probably something has been disturbed that would have been better left quiet.'" --- pg 408 A Journey in the Dark by Gandalf
21. "So ended the attempt to retake Moria! It was valiant but foolish.'" --- pg 419 The Bridge of Khazad-dûm by Gandalf
22. "Fly, you fools!'" --- pg 430 The Bridge of Khazad-dûm by Gandalf
23. "A merry troop of fools we shall look!'" --- pg 451 Lothlórien by Gimli
24. "Fool! Obstinate fool! Running willfully to death and ruining our cause.'" --- pg 516 The Breaking of the Fellowship by Boromir
25. "...there came to his mind another thought: Take it off! Take it off! Fool, take it off! Take off the Ring!" --- pg 519 The Breaking of the Fellowship by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien and Gandalf regarding Frodo
26. "...let Gimli the Dwarf Glóin's son warn you against foolish words.'" --- pg 42 Riders of Rohan by Gimli
27. "Rest while you can, little fool!'" --- pg 59 The Uruk-hai by a random Orc
28. "Saruman is a fool, and a dirty treacherous fool.'" --- pg 61 The Uruk-hai by Grishnákh
29. "You fools! You should have shot him. He'll raise the alarm.'" --- pg 63 The Uruk-hai presumably by Uglúk
30. "You went in a hurry. Did you leave anything behind?' 'I left a fool,' snarled Grishnákh.'" --- pg 68 The Uruk-hai by Grishnákh
31. "My dear tender little fools...'" --- pg 74 The Uruk-hai by Grishnákh
32. "We keep off strangers and the foolhardy...'" --- pg 89 Treebeard by Treebeard
33. "So the forces that he has long been preparing he is now setting in motion, sooner than he intended. Wise fool.'" --- pg 127 The White Rider by Gandalf
34. "Foolishness!' said Gandalf. 'Prudence is one thing, but discourtesy is another.'" --- pg 147 The King of the Golden Hall by Gandalf
35. "That fool, Háma, has betrayed us!'" --- pg 151 The King of the Golden Hall by Grima Wormtongue
36. "But you speak like a fool. Do you think those halls are fair, where your King dwells...?'" --- pg 193 The Road to Isengard by Gimli
37. "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard?'" --- pg 223 Flotsam and Jetsam by Gandalf
38. "I am no fool, and I do not trust you, Gandalf.'" --- pg 239 The Voice of Saruman by Saruman
39. "Do not be a fool. If you wish to treat with me, while you have a chance, go away, and come back when you are sober!'" --- pg 240 The Voice of Saruman by Saruman
40. "You have become a fool, Saruman, and yet pitiable.'" --- pg 241 The Voice of Saruman by Gandalf
41. "Unhappy fool! He will be devoured, if the power of the East stretches out its arms to Isengard.'" --- pg 242 The Voice of Saruman by Gandalf
42. "You idiotic fool!' Pippin muttered to himself. 'You're going to get yourself into frightful trouble.'" --- pg 251 The Palantír by Pippin
43. "A fool, but an honest fool, you remain, Peregrin Took.'" --- pg 254 The Palantír by Gandalf
44. "Yet he must bear the blame. Fool! to keep it secret, for his own profit.'" --- pg 259 The Palantír by Gandalf
45. "Oh yes, you had,' said Gandalf. 'You knew you were behaving wrongly and foolishly; and you told yourself so, though you did not listen.'" --- pg 260 The Palantír by Gandalf
46. "You revealed yourself to me just now, foolishly.'" --- pg 314 The Black Gate Is Closed by Frodo
47. "Silly hobbits, foolish, yes foolish! They mustn't do it!'" --- pg 331 Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit by Sméagol/Gollum
48. "Don't you go taking advantage of my master because his servant's no better than a fool.'" --- pg 366 The Window on the West by Sam
49. "Not here, no. Not rest here. Fools! Eyes can see us.'" --- pg 399 The Stairs of Cirith Ungol by Sméagol/Gollum
50. "Foolish! Silly!' he hissed. 'Make haste!'" --- pg 402 The Stairs of Cirith Ungol by Sméagol/Gollum
51. "Very foolish, very dangerous--if poor Sméagol wasn't sneaking about to watch.'" --- pg 412 The Stairs of Cirith Ungol by Sméagol/Gollum
52. "You fool,' snarled Shagrat. 'You've been talking very clever...'" --- pg 444 The Choices of Master Samwise by Shagrat
53. "You fool, he isn't dead, and your heart knew it.'" --- pg 444 The Choices of Master Samwise by Sam
54. "...you must pardon my foolishness.' 'I do,' said Pippin. 'Though you are not far wrong.'" --- pg 40 Minas Tirith by Beregond and Pippin
55. "Counsels may be found that are neither the webs of wizards nor the haste of fools.'" --- pg 105 The Siege of Gondor by Denethor
56. "... most surely not for any argument would he have set this thing at a hazard beyond all but a fool's hope...'" --- pg 105 The Siege of Gondor by Denethor
57. "There never was much hope,' he answered. 'Just a fool's hope, as I have been told.'" --- pg 107 The Siege of Gondor by Gandalf
58. "Maybe even your foolishness helped, my lad.'" --- pg 107 The Siege of Gondor by Gandalf
59. "The fool's hope has failed.'" --- pg 118 The Siege of Gondor by Denethor
60. "Follow whom you will, even the Grey Fool, though his hope has failed.'" --- pg 118 The Siege of Gondor by Denethor
61. "Why do the fools fly?'" --- pg 120 The Siege of Gondor by Denethor
62. "...I want to see Gandalf very much indeed. But he is no fool...'" --- pg 120 The Siege of Gondor by Pippin
63. "Old fool!' he said to Gandalf. 'Old fool! This is my hour.'" --- pg 125 The Siege of Gondor by the Witch-king
64. "Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'" --- pg 141 The Battle of the Pelennor Fields by the Witch-king
65. "Nay, I have seen more than thou knowest, Grey Fool.'" --- pg 157 The Pyre of Denethor by Denethor
66. "...thou shalt see what comes to him who sets his foolish webs before the feet of Sauron the Great.'" --- pg 203 The Black Gate Opens by The Messenger/The Mouth of Sauron
67. "Don't be a fool, Sam Gamgee,' came an answer in his own voice." --- pg 266 Mount Doom by Sam
68. "You are the fool, going on hoping and toiling.'" --- pg 266 Mount Doom by Sam
69. "... you Shirriffs look a lot of Tom-fools.'" --- pg 346 The Scouring of the Shire by Sam
70. "I told Sharkey it was no good trusting those little fools.'" --- pg 350 The Scouring of the Shire by a random Ruffian
71. "You are a ruffian and a fool.'" --- pg 351 The Scouring of the Shire by Pippin
72. "Miserable fool, but I am sorry for him.'" --- pg 352 The Scouring of the Shire by Frodo
73. "He has been a wicked fool, but he's caught now.'" --- pg 352 The Scouring of the Shire by Frodo
74. "...all of them except perhaps one or two rascals, and a few fools that want to be important...'" --- pg 353 The Scouring of the Shire by Merry
75. "He knew too little of hobbits to understand his peril. Foolishly he decided to fight.'" --- pg 358 The Scouring of the Shire by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding the Ruffian Leader
76. "Only that fool Ted was pleased by that...'" --- pg 361 The Scouring of the Shire by Farmer Cotton
77. "I don't believe that fool of a Pimple's behind all this.'" --- pg 361 The Scouring of the Shire by Farmer Cotton
78. "Don't waste any more words on the fool, Sam!'" --- pg 366 The Scouring of the Shire by Frodo
79. "...if they're such fools, I will get ahead of them and teach them a lesson.'" --- pg 368 The Scouring of the Shire by Sharkey/Saruman

The Hobbit
1. "Bilbo, you were a fool; you walked right in and put your foot in it." --- pg 30 An Unexpected Party by Bilbo
2. "Don't be a fool, Bilbo Baggins!" he said to himself, "thinking of dragons and all that outlandish nonsense at your age!" --- pg 40 Roast Mutton by Bilbo
3. "You're a fat fool, William..." --- pg 48 Roast Mutton by Bert
4. "...Thorin and his friends think them foolish (which is a very foolish thing to think)" --- pg 59 A Short Rest by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding the Elves
5. "Don't be a fool Mr. Baggins if you can help it..." --- pg 118 Queer Lodgings by Gandalf
6. "The dwarves were inclined to grumble at this, but the wizard told them they were fools." --- pg 136 Queer Lodgings by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding the Dwarves
7. "Some of the more foolish ran out of the hut as if they expected the Mountain to go golden in the night..." --- pg 188 A Warm Welcome by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding Lake-town residents
8. "Dear me, what a fool I was and am!" --- pg 205 Inside Information by Bilbo
9. "Staggering!" exclaimed Bilbo aloud, but what he thought inside was: "Old fool!" --- pg 216 Inside Information by Bilbo
10. "Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" --- pg 217 Inside Information by Bilbo
11. "The dragon is coming or I am a fool!" --- pg 235 Fire and Water by Grim-voiced fellow/Bard
12. "... not the most foolish doubted that the prophecies had gone rather wrong." --- pg 235 Fire and Water by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding Lake-town residents
13. "Fools!" said Bard. "Why waste words and wrath on those unhappy creatures?" --- pg 240 Fire and Water by Bard
14. "Such a fool deserves to starve" --- pg 256 A Thief in the Night by Bard
15. "Fools!" laughed Bard, "to come thus beneath the Mountain's..." --- pg 264 The Cloud Bursts by Bard
16. "You are a fool, Bilbo Baggins, and you made a great mess of that business with the stone..." --- pg 273 The Return Journey by Bilbo

Which chapters weren't foolish at all?

The Fellowship of the Ring
Three is Company
A Short Cut to Mushrooms
The Old Forest
Fog on the Barrow-Downs
A Knife in the Dark
Many Meetings
The Ring Goes South
The Mirror of Galadriel
Farewell to Lórien
The Great River

The Two Towers
The Departure of Boromir
Helm's Deep
The Taming of Sméagol
The Passage of the Marshes
The Forbidden Pool
Journey to the Cross-Roads
Shelob's Lair

The Return of the King
The Passing of the Grey Company
The Muster of Rohan
The Ride of the Rohirrim
The Houses of Healing
The Last Debate
The Tower of Cirith Ungol
The Land of Shadow
The Field of Cormallen
The Steward and the King
Many Partings
Homeward Bound
The Grey Havens

The Hobbit
Over Hill and Under Hill
Riddles in the Dark
Out of the Frying-Pan into the Fire
Flies and Spiders
Barrels Out of Bond
On the Doorstep
Not at Home
The Gathering of the Clouds
The Last Stage

FOOLISH TOTALS

The Lord of the Rings – 79

The Fellowship of the Ring – 25
A Long-Expected Party (3)
The Shadow of the Past (3)
A Conspiracy Unmasked (1)
In the House of Tom Bombadil (1)
At the Sign of the Prancing Pony (2)
Strider (2)
Flight to the Ford (1)
The Council of Elrond (4)
A Journey in the Dark (3)
The Bridge of Khazad-dûm (2)
Lothlórien (1)
The Breaking of the Fellowship (2)

The Two Tower – 28
Riders of Rohan (1)
The Uruk-hai (5)
Treebeard (1)
The White Rider (1)
The King of the Golden Hall (2)
The Road to Isengard (1)
Flotsam and Jetsam (1)
The Voice of Saruman (4)
The Palantír (4)
The Black Gate Is Closed (1)
Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit (1)
The Window on the West (1)
The Stairs of Cirith Ungol (3)
The Choices of Master Samwise (2)

The Return of the King – 26
Minas Tirith (1)
The Siege of Gondor (9)
The Battle of the Pelennor Fields (1)
The Pyre of Denethor (1)
The Black Gate Opens (1)
Mount Doom (2)
The Scouring of the Shire (11)

The Hobbit – 16
An Unexpected Party (1)
Roast Mutton (2)
A Short Rest (1)
Queer Lodgings (2)
A Warm Welcome (1)
Inside Information (3)
Fire and Water (3)
A Thief in the Night (1)
The Cloud Bursts (1)
The Return Journey (1)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 2 2023, 1:25pm

Post #23 of 56 (2718 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's part 2 of a 4-part visit of Gandalf and where it all began... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age: The Silmarillion

... "Ever most vigilant was Mithrandir, and he it was that most doubted the darkness in Mirkwood, for though many deemed that it was wrought by the Ringwraiths, he feared that it was indeed the first shadow of Sauron returning; and he went to Dol Guldur, and the Sorcerer fled from him, and there was a watchful peace for a long while. But... ...the Shadow returned and its power increased; and in that time was first made the Council of the Wise that is called the White Council, and therein were Elrond and Galadriel and Círdan, and other lords of the Eldar, and with them were Mithrandir and Curunír... ...(that was Saruman the White) was chosen to be their chief, for he had most studied the devices of Sauron of old. Galadriel indeed had wished that Mithrandir should be the Lead of the Council, and Saruman begrudged them that, for his pride and desire of mastery was grown great; but Mithrandir refused the office, since he would have no ties and no allegiance, save to those who sent him, and he would abide in no place nor be subject to any summons. But Saruman now began to study the lore of the Rings of Power, their making and their history."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 3 2023, 12:38pm

Post #24 of 56 (2710 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

April 3, 3005 (S.R. 1405), 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf visits in the Spring.

..."It was early April and the sky was now clearing after heavy rain. The sun was down, and a cool pale evening was quietly fading into night...
......It was just at this time that Gandalf reappeared after his long absence. For three years after the Party he had been away. Then he paid Frodo a brief visit, and after taking a good look at him he went off again. During the next year or two he had turned up fairly often, coming unexpectedly after dusk, and going off without warning before sunrise... ...and seemed chiefly interested in small news about Frodo's health and doings.
...Then suddenly his visits had ceased. It was over nine years since Frodo had seen or heard of him, and he had begun to think that the wizard would never return and had given up all interest in hobbits."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 4 2023, 2:46am

Post #25 of 56 (2698 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea about most of that. I love the idea of Yule existing outside of the regular calendar: it is an elegant solution to keeping things uniform for the rest of the year, while evoking an otherworldly, timelessness appropriate to the season.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.