Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What are you watching: The Valentine's Day edition!

cats16
Half-elven

Feb 14 2023, 1:33am

Post #1 of 5 (378 views)
Shortcut
What are you watching: The Valentine's Day edition! Can't Post

Hello, again! This year's rolling right along, as we've somehow reached Valentine's Day already. Happy V-Day to all!

We're also in awards season for the film world, which means lots of movies are coming back in theaters if you missed them the first time. I'm quite behind, myself.

Some miscellaneous viewings from me as of late:

Women Talking: A tense film, which is all the more disturbing given it is inspired by real events. There are some good performances here, especially from some lesser-known character actresses.

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya: A rewatch for me, but very rewarding nonetheless. Such a unique animated movie, for many reasons.

The Freshman: A Harold Lloyd classic that was new to me! Sweet and fun.

So, what have you been watching lately?

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 14 2023, 4:15pm

Post #2 of 5 (345 views)
Shortcut
My Valentine's Day fancies this year [In reply to] Can't Post

The only recent film I've seen that the Oscar's has shown interest in is Top Gun: Maverick.... which is AMAZING!

For Valentines' Day, however, I tend to look at my DVD collection to see what my mood-of-the-day draws me to. This year, I'm drawn to one of these:

Sleepless In Seattle
16 Candles
How To Fall In Love (Hallmark-one of Mom's favs)
Pretty Woman
Ever After: A Cinderella Story

I'll probably go with How To Fall In Love. When I would visit Mom, we'd pick out about 4 movies to watch during my 2-day visits. We'd sit in our recliners, I'd make us (or bring) some dinner, and she'd usually fall asleep... but woke if I stopped the film so she wouldn't miss out ;) We both loved doing this... especially with her Hallmark films. I'd find her favs on DVD and we'd watch them over and over.

This is one of them about a socially shy/awkward man who still had a crush on the girl he loved from a distance in high school. Of course, she was popular, socially preoccupied, and barely noticed him even when he took her to a school dance where she soon disappeared with her friends. She wasn't cruel, just clueless and he was helpless.

Fast-forward to grown-up days when he's a humbly comfortable/successful accountant in the same small city where they grew up, and she's still waiting tables waiting for her big break in Party Planning in NYC. Ends up, they meet up and she (needing money) encourages him to hire her as a social counselor guide. It's a sweet film and well done... so I'll probably spend this Valentine's Day watching it with Mom (in spirit) and later in the week go the the movies and have a fun meal :)

Happy Valentine's Day Heart

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Immortal

Feb 14 2023, 4:52pm

Post #3 of 5 (343 views)
Shortcut
I'll probably just watch whatever's playing today [In reply to] Can't Post

for a corny Valentine's Day movie.

I watched "Your Place or Mine" on Netflix the other day but it was meh for me. Other than that I have been watching:

NCIS - still hasn't jumped the shark even without Mark Harmon. I love how the team has solidified despite having a new and unpredictable boss - they've all grown up without Daddy Gibbs around. Especially McGee.

Jeopardy. the recent "Celebrity Jeopardy" was a hoot (I'm not sure the audience had as much fun as the contestants and Mayim, but I laughed a lot more than usual during the games), and featured some very smart (and some not so much) celebrities. I was hoping for a Wil Wheaton-Patton Oswalt-Brendan Hunt faceoff at the end, but alas Coach Beard was benched and then Ike Berinholtz came in and ran away with the ball.

various baking shows - Kids Baking Championship right now. Those 10-year-olds have forgotten more about how to bake than I ever learned.

Will Trent - new procedural, quirky genius detective with ISSUES, very Holmesian. Ramon Rodriquez is great. Speaking of Rodriquezes . . .

Not Dead Yet - I love love love Gina Rodriguez! "Jane the Virgin" was so so good, hoping for more of the same.

Lockwood & Co. - binged this, loved it, hope we get another season. Ghosts are real and can kill you; only certain kids & teens can see and fight them.

Looking forward to

Animal Control - Joel McHale, need I say more? (besides that he grew up on the same island I did, although I'd graduated high school before he was even born . . .)

Hello Tomorrow! - timetraveling comedy sounds good, and it has Hank Azaria.

The Mandalorian season 3! Can't wait!

Shadow and Bone Season 2. First season was amazing. Hadn't read the books, terrific fantasy pulling from a variety of earth cultures with a unique kind of magic.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Feb 14 2023, 4:53pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Feb 15 2023, 11:03am

Post #4 of 5 (316 views)
Shortcut
Well, I haven't celebrated Valentine's Day for a long time [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think a front-runner for a movie to watch would be 'Local Hero' - a sort of culture-clash movie where the guy doesn't get the girl, in fact there is no available girl; he falls in love with a place, as I did when I visited that glorious sweep of silver sand embraced by rocky arms. *sigh*

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2023, 5:26pm

Post #5 of 5 (245 views)
Shortcut
TV, Movie Theater, Play [In reply to] Can't Post

Titanic --- Leonardo looks sooooo young -- granddaughter wanted to see it on big screen -- she's be watching and rewatching on the small and has also watched some of the "documentary" shows about the Titanic -- so has to work hard to not nitpick the movie. -- Visually stunning -- heartbreaking

Play -- Sister Act -- community theater -- they gave it a good try but the tech let them down and the voices didn't soar -- makes me want to find the Whoopi Goldberg movie -- also a big cringy as the cultural references are very stereotyped

TV -
The Closer all 7 seasons -- two episodes a day-- some characters have a definite evolution and some end just as they began.

Will Trent -- starting to grate a bit that HE can do anything and has so many experiences that he can connect with everyone's horrible history. == going to give it a few more episodes to see if the supporting characters get to grow

So Help Me Todd -- this one is allowing characters to grow but fairly predictable -- yeah I'm getting hard to please in my old age.

Rookie/Rookie Feds -- Niecy Nash and that decolletage -- distracting and she is another one that has a "magic" touch and can do anything.

911 Lone Star -- the Raining frogs episode was classic -- the Carlos is held hostage episode was exhausting for the actor and it showed so kudos to him.

Decided NOT to see Knock on the Cabin door as don't need more depressing in my life right now

Flipping coin on Megan if it stays in theater long enough

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.