It's time for some NEW YEAR BS!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 21 2023, 4:42pm

Post #26 of 41 (2475 views)
Shortcut
It's time for a bit more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This 4th part of a 4-part Book Spoiler of the Fellowship walking in darkness to suddenly reveal the beauty of Lothlorien... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Lothlórien: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "All that day the Company marched on, until they felt the cool evening come... ...Then they rested and slept without fear upon the ground; for their guides would not permit them to unbind their eyes, and they could not climb. In the morning they went on... ...walking without haste. At noon they halted... ...Frodo was aware that they had passed out under the shining Sun. Suddenly he heard the sound of many voices all around him.
...A marching host of Elves had come up silently... ...hastening toward the northern borders to guard against any attack from Moria; and they brought news... ...The marauding orcs had been waylaid and almost all destroyed; the remnant had fled westward towards the mountains, and were being pursued. A strange creature also had been seen, running with bent back and with hands near the ground, like a beast and yet not of beast-shape. It had eluded capture... ...they had not shot it, not knowing whether it was good or ill, and it had vanished down the Silverlode southward.
...'Also,' said Haldir, 'they bring me a message from the Lord and Lady of the Galadrim. You are all to walk free, even the dwarf Gimli... ...the Lady knows who and what is each member of your Company. New messages have come from Rivendell perhaps.'
... He removed the bandage first from Gimli's eyes. 'Your pardon!' he said, bowing low. 'Look on us now with friendly eyes! Look and be glad... ...you are the first dwarf to behold the trees of the Naith of Lórien since Durin's Day!'
... When his eyes were in turn uncovered, Frodo looked up and caught his breath. They were standing in an open space. To the left stood a great mound, covered with a sward of grass as green as spring-time in the Elder days. Upon it, as a double crown, grew two circles of trees: the outer had bark of snowy white... ... leafless but beautiful in their shapely nakedness; the inner were mallorn-trees of great height, still arrayed in pale gold. High amid the branches of a towering tree that stood in the centre of all there gleamed a white flet. At the feet of the trees, and... ...the green hillsides, the grass was studded with small golden flowers shaped like stars. Among them, nodding on slender stalks, were other flowers white and palest green... ...glimmering as a mist amid the rich hue of the grass. Over all the sky was blue, and the sun of afternoon glowed upon the hill and cast long green shadows beneath the trees.
... 'Behold! You are come to Cerin Amroth... ...For this is the heart of the ancient realm as it was long ago, and here is the mound of Amroth, where in happier days his high house was built. Here ever bloom the winter flowers in the unfading grass: the yellow elanor, and the pale niphredil. Here we will stay awhile, and come to the city of the Galadrim at dusk.'"

NOTE: We have another break in TIME next week. I'm going to continue this thread of BS beginning January 27.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 22 2023, 3:44pm

Post #27 of 41 (2433 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 22 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 22, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Lothlórien.
(not from the appendices)

..."They remained some days in Lothlórien, so far as they could tell or remember.... ...The air was cool and soft, as if it were early spring, yet they felt about them the deep and thoughtful quiet of winter. It seemed to them that they did little but eat and drink and rest, and walk among the trees; and it was enough.
...They had not seen the Lord and Lady again, and they had little speech with any of the Elven-folk; for few of these spoke any but their own silvan tongue. Haldir had... ...gone back again to the fences of the North, where great watch was now kept since the tidings of Moria that the Company had brought. Legolas was away much among the Galadrim, and after the first night he did not sleep with the other companions, though he returned to eat and talk with them. Often he took Gimli with him when he went abroad in the land, and the others wondered at this change."

2. Gandalf battles the Balrog.
(from the appendices)

..."''Long time I fell... ...Long I fell, and he fell with me. His fire was about me. I was burned. Then we plunged into the deep water and all was dark. Cold it was as the tide of death: almost it froze my heart... ...it has a bottom, beyond light and knowledge,' said Gandalf. 'Thither I came at last, to the uttermost foundations of stone. He was with me still. His fire was quenched, but now he was a thing of slime, stronger than a strangling snake.
...'We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched me, and ever I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels. They were not made by Durin's folk... ...Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day. In that despair my enemy was my only hope, and I pursued him, clutching at his heel....""

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 23 2023, 2:42pm

Post #28 of 41 (2375 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 23, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Gandalf and the Balrog reach the peak of Zirak-zigil.

..."'Thus he brought me back at last to the secret ways of Khazad-dûm: too well he knew them all. Ever up now we went, until we came to the Endless Stair... ...it had not been destroyed,' said Gandalf. 'From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak it climbed, ascending in unbroken spiral in many thousand steps, until it issued at last in Durin's Tower carved in the living rock of Zirak-zigil, the pinnacle of the Silvertine.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2023, 1:55pm

Post #29 of 41 (2334 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 24, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Hobbiton is busy healing the hurts of Saruman.

..."Sam stayed at first at the Cottons' with Frodo; but when the New Row was ready he went with the Gaffer. In addition to all his other labours he was busy directing the cleaning up and restoring of Bag End..."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25 2023, 2:47pm

Post #30 of 41 (2289 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 25, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Gandalf casts the Balrog from the mountain, but passes away afterwards. His body lies on the peak.
(from the appendices)

..."'There upon Celebdil was a lonely window in the snow and before it lay a narrow space, a dizzy eyrie above the mists of the world... ...Out he sprang, and even as I came behind, he burst into new flame. There was none to see, or perhaps in after ages songs would still be sung of the Battle of the Peak.' Suddenly Gandalf laughed. 'But what would they say in song? Those that looked up from afar thought that the mountain was crowned with storm. Thunder they heard, and lightening... ...smote upon Celebdil, and leaped back broken into tongues of fire.... ...A great smoke rose about us, vapour and steam. Ice fell like rain. I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin. Then darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time, and I wandered far on roads that I will not tell...'"

[Gandalf does not return to "life" for 20 days. This part of the story continues on February 14.]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 26 2023, 2:18pm

Post #31 of 41 (2189 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 26, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Lothlórien. [Having defeated the Balrog, Gandalf's body lies on the snowy peak of Celebdil]

..."Now as the companions sat or walked together they spoke of Gandalf, and all that each had known and seen of him came clear before their minds. As they were healed of hurt and weariness of body the grief of the loss grew more keen. Often they heard nearby Elvish voices singing, and knew that they were making songs of lamentation... ...for they caught his name among the sweet sad words that they could not understand.
... Mithrandir, Mithrandir sang the Elves, O Pilgrim Grey! For so they loved to call him. But if Legolas was with the Company, he would not interpret the songs for them, saying that he had not the skill, and that for him the grief was still too near, a matter for tears and not yet for song."

Lament for Gandalf
(featured in Lothlórien)
(Solo by Elizabeth Fraser)

(Sindarin)
In gwidh ristennin
i fae narc hannen
I Lach Anor ed ardhon gwannen

Mithrandir, Mithrandir! A Randir Vithren!
U-reniathach i amar galen
I reniad lín ne môr, nuithannen

(Chorus in Quenya)
Ilfirin nairelma nauva i nauva
Ilfirin nairelma ar ullume nucuvalme
Nauva i nauva melme nóren sina naire lma

(Sindarin text)
'The bonds cut,
the spirit broken
The Flame of Anor has left this World'

Mithrandir, Mithrandir, O Pilgrim Grey!
No more will you wander the world green.
Your journey in darkness stopped.'

(Quenya text)
'Undying [is] our regret, [it] will be what will be [or 'What should be shall be']
Undying [is] our regret and yet we will cast all away,
[It] will be what will be, love for this land [is] our regret.'

Lothlórien
(performed by Elizabeth Frazer)

A Olórin i yaresse… (Olórin who once was…)
Mentaner i Numeherui (Sent by the Lords of the West)
Tírien i Rómenóri… (To guard the Lands of the East…)
Maiaron i Oiosaila, (Wisest of all Maiar,)
Manan elye etevanne (What drove you to leave)
Nórie i malanelye? (That which you loved?)
Ú-reniathach (No more will you wander)
I amar galen (The green fields of this earth
I reniad lín ne môr, nuithannen (Your journey has ended in darkness.)
In gwidh ristennin, (the bonds are sundered,)
i fae narchannen (the spirit is broken)
I Lach Anor ed ardhon gwennen. (The flame of Anor has left this world.)
Calad veleg, ethuiannen. (A great light, has gone out.)

(Choir text)
Melme nóren sina (Our love for this land)
núra ala (Is deeper that the deeps)
Eäro. (of the sea)
Ilfirin nairelma (Our regret is undying)
ullume nucuvalme. (Yet we will cast all away, rather than submit)
Nauva i nauva... (What should be shall be.)

[From former site Magpie's Nest: Credit for these lyrics and notes goes to TheOneRing.net; Language in The Lord of the Rings Movie by Galadhorn – elvish.org which is linked through TheOneRing.net; an article in Music from the Movies, number 42; Warner Brothers sheet music; Lord of the Rings Soundtrack inserts]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 27 2023, 2:01pm

Post #32 of 41 (2127 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some special BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I said I'd continue the Fellowship coming to Lothlorien on the 27th (today); but lets do it on the 29th so we can have a special BS today!

Here's a Book Spoiler for our very own Quickbeam... Happy Birthday, Oh Hasty One... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Treebeard: The Two Towers

..."'Hm, hoom, here I am again,' said Treebeard. 'Are you getting weary, or feeling impatient, hmm, eh? Well, I am afraid that you must not get impatient yet. We have finished the first stage now… ...I have brought you a companion. He has an ent-house nearby. Bregalad is his Elvish name. He says he has already made up his mind and does not need to remain at the Moot. Hm, hm, he is the nearest thing among us to a hasty Ent. You ought to get on together...' ...Treebeard turned and left them.
...Bregalad stood for some time surveying the hobbits solemnly; and they looked at him, wondering when he would show any signs of 'hastiness'. He was tall, and seemed to be one of the younger Ents; he had smooth shining skin on his arms and legs; his lips were ruddy, and his hair was grey-green. He could bend and sway like a slender tree in the wind. At last he spoke, and his voice though resonant was higher and clearer than Treebeard's.
...'Ha, hmm, my friends, let us go for a walk!' he said. 'I am Bregalad, that is Quickbeam in your language. But it is only a nickname... ...They have called me that ever since I said yes to an elder Ent before he had finished his question. Also I drink quickly, and go out while some are still wetting their beards. Come with me!'
...He reached down two shapely arms and gave a long-fingered hand to each of the hobbits. All that day they walked about in the woods with him, singing, and laughing; for Quickbeam often laughed. He laughed if the sun came out from behind a cloud, he laughed if they came upon a stream or spring…. …he laughed sometimes at some sound or whisper in the trees."

TORn's Master of Ceremonies, Host of TORn Tuesday and Contributor to TORn's Green Books

Happy Birthday! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 27 2023, 2:02pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 27 2023, 5:10pm

Post #33 of 41 (2116 views)
Shortcut
Many happy returns of the day, Quickbeam! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 28 2023, 11:24am

Post #34 of 41 (2089 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 28, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Lothlórien. [Having defeated the Balrog, Gandalf's body lies on the snowy peak of Celebdil]

..."It was Frodo who first put something of his sorrow into halting words. He was seldom moved to make song or rhyme; even in Rivendell he had listened and had not sung himself... ...But now as he sat beside the fountain in Lórien and heard about him the voices of the Elves, his thought took shape in a song that seemed fair to him; yet when he tried to repeat it to Sam only snatches remained, faded as a handful of withered leaves.

When evening in the Shire was grey
his footsteps on the Hill were heard;
before the dawn he went away
on journey long without a word.

From Wilderland to Western shore,
from northern waste to southern hill,
through dragon-lair and hidden door
and darkling woods he walked at will.

With Dwarf and Hobbit, Elves and Men,
with mortal and immortal folk,
with bird on bough and beast in den,
in their own secret tongues he spoke.

A deadly sword, a healing hand,
a back that bent beneath its load;
a trumpet-voice, a burning brand,
a weary pilgrim on the road.

A lord of wisdom throned he sat,
swift in anger, quick to laugh;
an old man in a battered hat
who leaned upon a thorny staff.

He stood upon the bridge alone
and Fire and Shadow both defied;
is staff was broken on the stone,
in Khazad-dûm his wisdom died.

...'Why, you'll be beating Mr. Bilbo next!' said Sam.
...'No, I am afraid not,' said Frodo. 'But that is the best I can do yet.'
...'Well, Mr. Frodo, if you do have another go, I hope you'll say a word about his fireworks... ...Something like this:

The finest rockets ever seen:
they burst in stars of blue and green,
or after thunder golden showers
came falling like a rain of flowers.

Though that doesn't do them justice by a long road.'
...'No, I'll leave that to you, Sam. Or perhaps to Bilbo. But—well, I can't talk of it any more. I can't bear to think of bringing the news to him.'"

[Tolkien, 1965 Ballantine, p. 465-465 FotR: Lord of the Rings]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 29 2023, 3:25pm

Post #35 of 41 (1969 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is part 1 of a 4-part Book Spoiler that takes a look at the Fellowship as they come to Caras Galadon... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Mirror of Galadriel: The Fellowship of the Ring

..."'Welcome to Caras Galadon!' [Haldir] said. 'Here is the city of the Galadrim where dwell the Lord Celeborn and Galadriel the Lady of Lórien. But we cannot enter here, for the gates do not look northward. We must go round to the southern side... ...the way is not short, for the city is great.'
... There was a road paved with white stone running on the outer brink of the fosse. Along this they went westward, with the city ever climbing up like a green cloud upon their left... ...as the night deepened more lights sprang forth, until all the hill seemed afire with stars. They came at last to a white bridge, and crossing found the great gates of the city... ...set between the ends of the encircling wall that here overlapped, and they were tall and strong, and hung with many lamps.
... Haldir knocked and spoke, and the gates opened soundlessly... ...of guards Frodo could se no sign. The travellers passed within, and the gates shut behind them. They were in a deep lane... ...and passing quickly through it they entered the City of the Trees. No folk could they see... ...but there were many voices, about them, and in the air above. Far away up on the hill they could hear the sound of singing falling from on high like soft rain upon leaves.
... They went along many paths and climbed many stairs... ...they came to the high places and saw before them amid a wide lawn a fountain shimmering. It was lit by silver lamps that swung from the boughs of trees, and it fell into a basin of silver, from which a white stream spilled. Upon the south side of the lawn there stood the mightiest of all the trees; its great smooth bole gleamed like grey silk, and up it towered, until its first branches... ...opened their huge limbs under shadowy clouds of leaves. Beside it a broad white ladder stood, and at its foot three Elves were seated. They sprang up as the travellers approached, and Frodo saw that they were tall and clad in grey mail... ...from their shoulders hung long white cloaks....
......One of the Elf-wardens then blew a clear note on a small horn, and it was answered three times from far above."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 30 2023, 2:23pm

Post #36 of 41 (1901 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is part 2 of a 4-part Book Spoiler that takes a look at the Fellowship in Caras Galadon standing before Celeborn and Galadriel... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

..."'Here dwell Celeborn and Galadriel,' said Haldir. 'It is their wish that you should ascend and speak with them... ...I will go first... ...Let Frodo come next and with him Legolas. The others may follow as they wish. It is a long climb for those that are not accustomed to such stairs, but you may rest upon the way.'
... As he climbed slowly up Frodo passed many flets: some on one side, some on another... ...some set about the bole of the tree, so that the ladder passed through them. At a great height above the ground he came to a wide talan, like the deck of a great ship. On it was built a house, so large that almost it would have served for a hall of Men upon the earth. He entered behind Haldir, and found... ...he was in a chamber of oval shape, in the midst of which grew the trunk of the great mallorn, now tapering towards its crown...
... ...The chamber was filled with a soft light; its walls were green and silver and its roof of gold. Many Elves were seated there. On two chairs beneath the bole of the tree and canopied by a living bough there sat... ...Celeborn and Galadriel. They stood up to greet their guests, after the manner of Elves, even those who were accounted mighty kings. Very tall they were, and the Lady no less tall than the Lord; and they were grave and beautiful... ...clad wholly in white... ...the hair of the lady was of deep gold... ...the hair of the Lord Celeborn was of silver long and bright; but no sign of age was upon them, unless it were in the depths of their eyes; for these were keen as lances in the starlight, and yet profound, the wells of deep memory.
... Haldir led Frodo before them and the Lord welcomed him in his own tongue. The Lady Galadriel said no word but looked long upon his face.
...'Sit now beside my chair, Frodo of the Shire!' said Celeborn. 'When all have come we will speak together.'
... Each of the companions he greeted courteously by name as they entered. 'Welcome Aragorn son of Arathorn... ...It is eight and thirty years of the world outside since you came to this land; and those years lie heavy on you. But the end is near, for good or ill. Here lay aside your burden for a while!'
...'Welcome son of Thranduil! Too seldom do my kindred journey hither from the North.
...'Welcome Gimli son of Glóin! It is long indeed since we saw one of Durin's folk in Caras Galadon... ...today we have broken our long law. May it be a sign that though the world is now dark better days are at hand, and that friendship shall be renewed between our peoples.' Gimli bowed low."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 31 2023, 1:50pm

Post #37 of 41 (1868 views)
Shortcut
It's time for even more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is part 3 of a 4-part Book Spoiler that takes a look at the Fellowship with Celeborn and Galadriel... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... When all the guests were seated before his chair the Lord looked at them again. 'Here there are eight... ...Nine were to set out: so said the messages. But maybe there has been some change of counsel that we have not heard. Elrond is far away, and darkness gathers between us, and all this year the shadows have grown longer.'
... 'Nay, there was no change of counsel,' said the Lady Galadriel, speaking for the first time. Her voice was clear and musical, but deeper than woman's wont. 'Gandalf the Grey set out with the Company, but he did not pass the borders of this land... ...tell us where he is; for I much desired to speak with him again. But I cannot see him from afar, unless he comes within the fences of Lothlórien: a grey mist is about him... ...the ways of his feet and of his mind are hidden from me.'
... 'Alas!' said Aragorn. 'Gandalf the Grey fell into shadow. He remained in Moria and did not escape.'
... At these words... ...the Elves in the hall cried aloud in grief and amazement. 'These are evil tidings,' said Celeborn, 'the most evil that have been spoken here in long years full of grievous deeds.' He turned to Haldir. 'Why has nothing of this been told to me before?' he asked in Elven-tongue.
... 'We have not spoken to Haldir of our deeds or our purpose,' said Legolas. 'At first we were weary and danger was too close behind... ...afterwards we almost forgot our grief for a time, as we walked in gladness on the fair paths of Lórien.'
... 'Yet our grief is great and our loss cannot be mended,' said Frodo. 'Gandalf was our guide, and he led us through Moria; and when our escape seemed beyond hope he saved us, and he fell.'
... 'Tell us now the full tale!' said Celeborn.
... Then Aragorn recounted all that had happened upon the pass of Caradhras, and in the days that followed... ...he spoke of Balin and his book, and the fight in the Chamber of Mazarbul... ...the fire... ...the narrow bridge... ...the coming of the Terror. 'An evil of the Ancient World it seemed, such as I have never seen before,' said Aragorn. 'It was both a shadow and a flame, strong and terrible.'
... 'It was a Balrog of Morgoth,' said Legolas; 'of all elf-banes the most deadly, save the One who sits in the Dark Tower.'
... 'Indeed I saw upon the bridge that which haunts our darkest dreams, I saw Durin's Bane,' said Gimli in a low voice, and dread was in his eyes.
... 'Alas!' said Celeborn. 'We long have feared that under Caradhras a terror slept... ...had I known that the Dwarves had stirred up this evil in Moria again, I would have forbidden you to pass the northern borders... ...and all that went with you. And if it were possible, one would say that at the last Gandalf fell from wisdom into folly, going needlessly into the net of Moria.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 1 2023, 2:01pm

Post #38 of 41 (1841 views)
Shortcut
It's time for a bit more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is part 4 of a 4-part Book Spoiler of the Fellowship speaking with Celeborn and Galadriel... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... [Celeborn laments that Gandalf's decision to go into Moria was folly and he fell needlessly] "'He would be rash indeed that said that thing,' said Galadriel gravely. 'Needless were none of the deeds of Gandalf in life. Those that followed him knew not his mind and cannot report his full purpose... ...the followers are blameless. Do not repent of your welcome to the Dwarf. If our folk had been exiled long and far from Lothlórien, who of the Galadrim, even Celeborn the Wise, would pass nigh and would not wish to look upon their ancient home, though it had become an abode of dragons?
... 'Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram... ...cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone.' She looked upon Gimli, who sat glowering and sad, and she smiled. And the Dwarf, hearing the names given in his own ancient tongue, looked up and met her eyes... ...it seemed to him that he looked suddenly into the heart of an enemy and saw there love and understanding. Wonder came into his face, and then he smiled in answer.
...He rose clumsily and bowed in dwarf-fashion, saying: 'Yet more fair is the living land of Lórien, and the Lady Galadriel is above all the jewels that lie beneath the earth...!'
... ...At length Celeborn spoke again. 'I did not know that your plight was so evil,' he said. 'Let Gimli forget my harsh words: I spoke in the trouble of my heart. I will do what I can to aid you, each according to his wish and need, but especially that one of the little folk who bears the burden.'
...'Your quest is known to us,' said Galadriel, looking at Frodo. 'But we will not here speak of it more openly. Yet not in vain will it prove... ...that you came to this land seeking aid, as Gandalf himself plainly purposed. For the Lord of the Galadrim is accounted the wisest of the Elves of Middle-earth... ...a giver of gifts beyond the power of kings. He has dwelt in the West since the days of dawn... ...I have dwelt with him years uncounted; for ere the fall of Nargothrond of Gondolin I passed over the mountains, and together through ages of the world we have fought the long defeat.
... 'I it was who first summoned the White Council. And if my designs had not gone amiss, it would have been governed by Gandalf the Grey... ...then mayhap things would be gone otherwise. But even now there is hope left. I will not give you counsel... ...For not in doing or contriving, nor in choosing between this course and another, can I avail; but only in knowing what was and is, and in part... ...what shall be. But this I will say to you: your Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while all the Company is true....
......with that word she held them with her eyes, and in silence looked searchingly at each of them in turn. None save Legolas and Aragorn could long endure her glance. Sam quickly bushed and hung his head.
... At length... ...Galadriel released them from her eyes, and she smiled. 'Do not let your hearts be troubled... ...Tonight you shall sleep in peace.' Then they sighed and felt suddenly weary, as those who have been questioned long and deeply, though no words had been spoken openly.
... 'Go now!' said Celeborn. 'You are worn with sorrow and much toil. Even if your Quest did not concern us closely, you should have refuge in this City, until you were healed and refreshed. Now you will rest... ...we will not speak of your further road for a while.'
...That night the Company slept upon the ground, much to the satisfaction of the hobbits."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 2 2023, 1:26pm

Post #39 of 41 (1783 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some badgerly BS! February 2nd - Groundhog Day [In reply to] Can't Post

In the U.S., February 2nd and the anticipation of "weather" or not Puxsutawney Phil will see his shadow this Groundhog Day is always done with hope! Any clue of how much longer we'll have winter weather helps. I also use it as a mark as the half-way point of these cold months. All eyes are turned to Pennsylvania and his prediction!

However, Michigan has its own fuzzy representative. If the sun is shining, there's a lot more cold and a longer winter. If there's no shadow, we should be having an early Spring! OH THE DRAMA! Sadly, the beast saw its shadow and was frightened back into his hidey-hole for 6 more weeks of cold. *sigh*

Anyway... here's a Book Spoiler that discusses the Celebrity of the Day... though really it's his badgering cousin... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From A Long-Expected Party: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "'Well yes--and no. Now it comes to it, I don't like parting with it at all, I may say. And I don't really see why I should. Why do you want me to?' he asked, and a curious change came over his voice. It was sharp with suspicion and annoyance. 'You are always badgering me about my ring; but you have never bothered me about the other things that I got on my journey.'
... 'No, but I had to badger you,' said Gandalf. 'I wanted the truth. It was important. Magic rings are--well, magical; and they are rare and curious.'"

From In the House of Tom Bombadil: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "Frodo looked at it closely, and rather suspiciously (like one who has lent a trinket to a juggler). It was the same Ring, or looked the same and weighed the same: for that Ring had always seemed to Frodo to weigh strangely heavy in the hand. But something prompted him to make sure. He was perhaps a trifle annoyed with Tom for seeming to make so light of what even Gandalf thought so perilously important. He waited for an opportunity when the talk was going again, and Tom was telling an absurd story about badgers and their queer ways—then he slipped the Ring on."

From A Journey in the Dark: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "'There must have been a mighty crowd of dwarves here at one time,' said Sam; 'and every one of them busier than badgers for five hundred years to make all this, and most in hard rock too!'"

From Helm's Deep: The Two Towers

... "'Do not judge the counsel of Gandalf, until all is over, lord,' said Aragorn.
... 'The end will not be long,' said the king. 'But I will not end here, taken like an old badgerin a trap. Snowmane and Hasufel and the horses of my guard are in the inner court. When dawn comes, I will bid men sound Helm's horn, and I will ride forth. Will you ride with me then son of Arathorn? Maybe we shall cleave a road, or make such an end as will be worth a song—if any be left to sing of us hereafter.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 2 2023, 1:29pm)

Ginger
Rohan

Feb 2 2023, 5:15pm

Post #40 of 41 (1782 views)
Shortcut
I must admit [In reply to] Can't Post

When I hear Groundhog Day I think of Bill Murray and not Puxsutawney Phil.

And thanks, gramma, for still posting TIME and BS. I like to check it almost everyday.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2023, 4:47am

Post #41 of 41 (1769 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle hug! Hi Ginger!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do, too! Murray is the best! Besides, his name is a lot easier to remember and spell ;)

Groundhog Day (movie) is 30 years old on February 3rd! Wow... time flies :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.