The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
Narsil, Sting, Glamdring and Orcrist

Junesong
Rohan

Jan 11 2023, 6:20pm

Post #1 of 3 (382 views)
Shortcut
Narsil, Sting, Glamdring and Orcrist Can't Post

We've gotten a quick glimpse of Narsil in Numenor. Doubtless the sword will become more prominent as the seasons progress.

What about the other famous swords from the 3rd age? We know that by the time of The Hobbit, the other three swords are squirreled away in a troll horde.

But if I was a showrunner, or a screenwriter, I would be thinking - "all that means, is that I have to make sure they get to a troll horde by the end of the fifth season."

Personally, as a fan, I'd love to see those three swords in action and get a little fanfic writing about other characters using them, and then eventually losing them.

I know other fans probably feel the opposite.

Based on season one, I'm guessing Amazon will pull in as much third age stuff as they possibly can to serve the brand. If that holds true in the next four seasons I think we're pretty much guaranteed to get those swords teased in some way.

How do we all feel about this? Am I crazy?

"So which story do you prefer?"
"The one with the tiger. That's the better story."
"Thank you. And so it goes with God."

TFP
Lorien

Jan 12 2023, 2:45pm

Post #2 of 3 (321 views)
Shortcut
Glamdring/Orcrist [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose that Thorin's party finding these two legendary blades just kicking around some dirty old cave, t was never one of my absolute favourite parts of the Hobbit. A particular detail which irked me was the goblins of the mountain recognising them immediately when Gandalf seemingly hadn't, it'd taken Elrond to do the ID'ing. I suppose I found these to be some of the more childish/less compelling elements of the story?

(This post was edited by TFP on Jan 12 2023, 2:53pm)

Archestratie
Rohan

Jan 14 2023, 12:20pm

Post #3 of 3 (285 views)
Shortcut
Heh [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I suppose that Thorin's party finding these two legendary blades just kicking around some dirty old cave, t was never one of my absolute favourite parts of the Hobbit. A particular detail which irked me was the goblins of the mountain recognising them immediately when Gandalf seemingly hadn't, it'd taken Elrond to do the ID'ing. I suppose I found these to be some of the more childish/less compelling elements of the story?

The Hobbit is so full of coincidence and serendipity that if it were a plot for a modern TV show, people would rip its plot harder than Rings of Power or any other show going right now, for that matter.

My Low-Magic Fantasy Novel on eBook/hardback: The Huntsman and the She-Wolf

The Huntsman and the She-Wolf on audio Book.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.