Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bolg drastically changed / not appearing until TABA?

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 3 2013, 11:54am

Post #1 of 25 (7471 views)
Shortcut
Bolg drastically changed / not appearing until TABA? Can't Post

I noticed this interesting post on Bridge Direct's Facebook, dated 27th September:

The 6" scale Bolg you saw at Toy Fair will not be available this Fall. The Bridge develops and plan many months ahead of time, all while trying to stay true to the source material. However, during the creative process of filmmaking, characters may change and so our toy program adapts accordingly to reflect the final vision of the film.

Sounds like he's either not in this one or they've drastically changed him (CGI?), which would be a tremendous shame. I'd be really surprised if they only put him in film 3, so I'm going for the latter regrettably.

Shirriff Anthony
Bree

Oct 3 2013, 12:50pm

Post #2 of 25 (6809 views)
Shortcut
Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

I always felt Bolg could have easily filled the role for Azog in AUJ, unless the whole Azog rumor of him being brought back by the necromancer is true. Maybe we see Bolg in Dol Guldor as the torturer as we thought especially once Beorn comes into play. Azog was not always CGI.

Faramir: “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

dave_lf
Gondor

Oct 3 2013, 12:54pm

Post #3 of 25 (6789 views)
Shortcut
Third possibility [In reply to] Can't Post

is that he's been dropped completely, since Azog makes him redundant.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2013, 1:05pm

Post #4 of 25 (6733 views)
Shortcut
Possible... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but didn't PJ talk in a recent article on DoS about how the focus was going to be on father-son relationships, including Azog and Bolg?

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
― Victoria Monfort

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 3 2013, 1:09pm

Post #5 of 25 (6676 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'm sure he did. // [In reply to] Can't Post

dave_lf
Gondor

Oct 3 2013, 1:17pm

Post #6 of 25 (6668 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

But it wasn't that recent, and clearly something has changed very recently in order for the toy to be pulled now rather than months ago.

Of course it is at least as possible and maybe more so that it is just a design change or a shift of his role into the third film.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Oct 3 2013, 1:31pm

Post #7 of 25 (6691 views)
Shortcut
It was the Empire DOS article, and he mentioned Bolg specifically [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is the quote from Empire:

Azog...is joined in his fury by Bolg (Conan Stephens). "They're the most serious orcs we've had in these films", boasts Jackson. "Bolg is going to be a fright."

Perhaps since Bolg was in AUJ (just for a moment or two in the Azanulbizar flashback, though Conan Stephens was credited), the Toy Manufacturers had their design based on his appearence then. If Jackson and Co. made some design changes between then and now, they might have wanted to pull the toy until the 3rd movie.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 3 2013, 1:37pm

Post #8 of 25 (6660 views)
Shortcut
An interview that was published just 4 months ago seems pretty recent to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'd guess that most of Bolg's scenes were replaced due to the last minute changes with Azog. But Bolg will turn up (probably in a very reduced role) at Dol Guldur. After all, we haven't really seen much of Beorn either. It doesn't mean he won't be at the BO5A.

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Oct 3 2013, 1:41pm

Post #9 of 25 (6664 views)
Shortcut
I would be hugely dissapointed.. [In reply to] Can't Post

.. If either hes not in the films or they decide to alter his design and go down the CGI route a la Azog. Bolgs design is amazing, possibly the scariest looking orc of all these films. I don't understand why they would want to change it. On top of that you have Conan Stevens who has proven in GOT how menacing he can be.

'Everywhere I lie theres a dirty great root sticking into my back!'

(This post was edited by BilboBagshot187 on Oct 3 2013, 1:44pm)

StarGodziller
Bree

Oct 3 2013, 2:53pm

Post #10 of 25 (6559 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I feel the same way.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I had the feeling they might make him a CGI character to make him more consistent with Azog. Hope I'm wrong is all I can say.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 3 2013, 3:37pm

Post #11 of 25 (6531 views)
Shortcut
I guess they made him CGI. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do hope so. Did not like the Bolg we saw in AUJ at all compared to Azog who remains a very good design imho, even if that opinion has become rather unpopular ;)

Still not sure through why they needed both for the movies.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Oct 3 2013, 3:54pm

Post #12 of 25 (6499 views)
Shortcut
Was wondering where he was too... [In reply to] Can't Post

Strange we haven't seen anything else about him in the marketing but it seems that the 3 film split really did screw up all the other marketing for the film - lego sets, toys, companions etc. I really hope they haven't dropped the character or made him CGI - stick with the prosthetics PJ!

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Oct 3 2013, 4:51pm

Post #13 of 25 (6438 views)
Shortcut
They haven't mentioned him at all [In reply to] Can't Post

in the AUJ, we only saw a glimpse of him in Battle of Azanulbizar where he is fighting Dwalin. Of course that could be a different orc but I still believe that is him and perhaps they decide to remove him entirely from the movies because of Azog or change him because of battle wounds from this fight. If we will see him I am certain that he will make an appearance in Dol Guldur.

Long Hammer
The Shire

Oct 3 2013, 5:07pm

Post #14 of 25 (6411 views)
Shortcut
maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book, Azog dies - Bolg is out for revenge in the BOFA. That is the only reason there is actually 5 armies - and in the book it was a surprise they were coming.

In the movie they need a more constant villain presence - so Azog is that piece. Perhaps he dies in DOS, and we get sort of back on track of the reason for a full out war instead of just a personal grudge against the house of Durin.

Just spit balling here

LordotRings93
Rohan

Oct 3 2013, 5:45pm

Post #15 of 25 (6390 views)
Shortcut
Where on their FB page? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see any recent post by them about Bolg (I check there a lot just for info on the new wave). Maybe I missed it?

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 3 2013, 5:54pm

Post #16 of 25 (6381 views)
Shortcut
Here [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.facebook.com/...p;type=1&theater

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 3 2013, 6:12pm

Post #17 of 25 (6361 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps Bolg dies as a direct result of Azog's pursuit of Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps he dies in DOS, and we get sort of back on track of the reason for a full out war instead of just a personal grudge against the house of Durin.

Your theory sounds reasonable.

Also if Bolg dies as a result of Azog pursuing Thorin, it would be in keeping with PJ's statements about there being a father-son type of theme going on in the films with various characters.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Oct 3 2013, 6:33pm

Post #18 of 25 (6320 views)
Shortcut
Ah, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the release is Oct. 15th for the new figures. Excellent!

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 3 2013, 7:14pm

Post #19 of 25 (6325 views)
Shortcut
If this is true it would be utterly [In reply to] Can't Post

disappointing.

I've been looking forward to a good glimpse of Bolg in action for a while now and having missed it in AUJ (apart from the barely visible Azanulbizar flashback), I'm really hoping he's still in DoS and in no CGI-mode.

I've said this before, I don't mind Azog at all and still believe he is very "believable" but if Bolg is in costume, I'd rather they stick to that ...

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2013, 8:41pm

Post #20 of 25 (6283 views)
Shortcut
Oy vey... [In reply to] Can't Post

They started to push Bolg LAST October, when they released the BD toy based upon the original design, then in the posters...then nothing in the actual film (well, a 2 second cameo). Now it seems like he won't appear in DoS, at least, not as originally intended...quite disappointed by this.

I suppose a possibility is that they wanted his design to remain fresh/a surprise after it was revealed in the film 1 marketing? Or...more likely, it's just another example of digital excess. All well - at this rate, TABA will be entirely done inside a computer.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Rheged
Bree

Oct 3 2013, 9:06pm

Post #21 of 25 (6492 views)
Shortcut
He's surely in TDOS [In reply to] Can't Post

Mikael Persbrandt has said that on his first day he had to film a "difficult torture scene", which makes me believe that Bolg will be in TDOS: Bolg is meant to be the Necromancer's interrogator, and Bolg torturing Beorn would make the fight between the two in TABA more personal. Hopefully he won't be completely cgi though!

The Mitch King
Rohan

Oct 3 2013, 9:57pm

Post #22 of 25 (6241 views)
Shortcut
Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

What about the action figures of Bolg and Gandalf already released together??

I don't think he's going to change much personally. Plus they had the whole bear paw thingy on his shoulders which connects him with Beorn more intimately. He seems too invested already to be changed greatly.

In regards to the action figure, they could have just changed his description on the back of the package due to plot changes. But who knows?

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 3 2013, 11:27pm

Post #23 of 25 (6213 views)
Shortcut
I trust they are not going to show any torture scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

Of Beorn being tortured, that is – horror stuff like that is not something I want to see in this film.

In Reply To
Mikael Persbrandt has said that on his first day he had to film a "difficult torture scene", which makes me believe that Bolg will be in TDOS: Bolg is meant to be the Necromancer's interrogator, and Bolg torturing Beorn would make the fight between the two in TABA more personal. Hopefully he won't be completely cgi though!

Lio
Lorien

Oct 3 2013, 11:57pm

Post #24 of 25 (6203 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like another last-minute design change. Azog all over again? [In reply to] Can't Post

This does seem to imply Bolg's design has been changed. PJ did confirm that Bolg would be in DoS, so it seems less likely that they're cutting him out.

But why would they change Bolg's design so much that they'd have to cancel the figure? Maybe they've expanded/changed his role, like they (probably) did with Azog, and thought another design would work better for what they wanted? Just guessing here, but Bolg's original design did seem a bit heavy on the prosthetics. Maybe they wanted something that allowed a more flexible performance?

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

deskp
Lorien

Oct 4 2013, 7:12am

Post #25 of 25 (6170 views)
Shortcut
uh. [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh god I do not want another last minute created cg characther, Azog never really got past the "I'm cgi" for me in the first film. And I think the design of bolg as we've seen it is fantastic!

Bolg could have taken Azogs place no problem. This would have helped fans get over the azog still alive bit. Seeing as they didn't do that, doesent that mean they intend for bolg's part in it to be pretty significant? sicne they couldnt free him up from that to take azogs role?

If they make bolg in CG now, they proapbly changed him, all that hair and fur is hard to make realistic in cgi. (i know they made king kong etc. but still in the hobbit they cant make leaves on trees look real)

I enjoy getting alot of content. But i often feel like the hobbit would have been better as the 2 movies they initialy intended to make.

Imagine if they could have released edits as originally intended.
http://comicbook.com/...s/2012/10/hobbit.jpg

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.