Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Come on in and join us for Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25, 12:16am

Post #26 of 52 (923 views)
Shortcut
Those ladies were fortunate you were there! [In reply to] Can't Post

And wonderful of you to get them on track.

Is that all beadwork in the kalaga? How large are they?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25, 12:19am

Post #27 of 52 (922 views)
Shortcut
Lorien indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

That looks so peaceful, the lights and flets in the redwoods! That would rejuvenate one!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25, 12:22am

Post #28 of 52 (919 views)
Shortcut
So sorry to hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even it they're not someone you know very well, still, it's a shock to everyone! Prayers and well-wishes for peace and comfort for the family.

Did you take your friend to any unusual places, or did you give them the "grand tour"?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25, 12:28am

Post #29 of 52 (917 views)
Shortcut
"Still 'round the corner there may wait..." [In reply to] Can't Post

What a fun discovery, sounds perfect for a full afternoon outing!

DwellerInDale
Rohan

May 25, 12:30am

Post #30 of 52 (921 views)
Shortcut
The one that got away (for now) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, kalagas have both beadwork + sequins + gold thread. Here is the one I wanted to buy, which is similar to one I have at home. The length is close to 5 feet.

The figure is a Burmese angel/demigoddess. I just have to hope it'll still be there next year.

Don't mess with my favorite female elves.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25, 1:40am

Post #31 of 52 (913 views)
Shortcut
Yes, both of the terraces, in fact. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's ongoing investigations, and they're finding out more and more about the possible remains.

It really is a very special place. We first went there many years ago, and it's become much more accessible in the years since, which is great (we walked, apart from one section where we needed to hurry for the boat, but not everyone has the time or energy), while losing none of its wonder.

Many years ago we went right into one of the Tarawera craters - it was allowed back then. I'm glad to have done it, as I think I'd be too nervous of falling now.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on May 25, 2:16am)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25, 2:12am

Post #32 of 52 (910 views)
Shortcut
Excellent news! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so good to hear that your daughter's doing well - and so good to hear that you and Pickle have your recliner back to yourselves :)

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25, 2:15am

Post #33 of 52 (909 views)
Shortcut
Just the right sort of adventure! What fun. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Elderflower Fizz I made last spring is just a memory of sunshine now.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Annael
Immortal

May 25, 3:48am

Post #34 of 52 (902 views)
Shortcut
beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

kalagas remind me of Tibetan thangkas

I'm sure those ladies are blessing you!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on May 25, 3:48am)

Annael
Immortal

May 25, 3:52am

Post #35 of 52 (901 views)
Shortcut
oh, I love those unexpected new roads! [In reply to] Can't Post

I found one the other day that led off of my usual neighborhood walk - it was a dead end, but about 3/4 of a mile of a lovely walk through woods with lots of birds singing and no traffic - and a peek-a-boo view of a lake.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Immortal

May 25, 4:04am

Post #36 of 52 (901 views)
Shortcut
I aim for 4 miles a day [In reply to] Can't Post

Although the other day I made a mistake and had to loop way out of my way before I could get back to the car; that was a 6.5-miler! I decided it warranted a milkshake.

We mix it up. We have plenty of choices: the river dike, trails along the various bays, hikes to/around lakes, old-growth nature preserves, and Little Mountain, a park right in town that encompasses a good-sized hill with a variety of trails. If I'm not walking with my friends, I have a 4-mile loop around my neighborhood that I like.. We occasionally venture farther afield but most of these are 10-20 minutes drive from us. Next month my friends are doing "Trek for Treasure," a yearly fundraising thing; I'm not on the team because my knee won't let me do all the hikes, but I'll join them for the easy ones at the beginning.

-- Gaston Bachelard

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25, 12:28pm

Post #37 of 52 (868 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

That 6.5 was doing a walk-and-a-half! Laugh

But it's the best thing for your knee - and how's the shoulder holding up?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25, 12:30pm

Post #38 of 52 (870 views)
Shortcut
So intricate [In reply to] Can't Post

No wonder at all that it was that price. Are these all wall hangings?

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

May 25, 1:29pm

Post #39 of 52 (861 views)
Shortcut
Thanks - [In reply to] Can't Post

I've no idea why I find it so hard to submit links! Chelsea Flower Show is comfort viewing; don't have it on as a background to housework, sit down and lose yourself in it!

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

May 25, 1:31pm

Post #40 of 52 (860 views)
Shortcut
the song feels rather dated [In reply to] Can't Post

but a good garden never gets old! I don't have hollyhocks, the slugs murder them, but hollyhocks grow like weeds in my daughter's garden (sandy soil, full sun) so I can visit them.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 25, 2:01pm

Post #41 of 52 (861 views)
Shortcut
Already started :D [In reply to] Can't Post

The grass was very dry when I got up on Friday, so I started on it straight-away! Only a couple of hours through the tall stuff so far, but I do plan on getting it done asap! Once the rain decides to chill ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Immortal

May 25, 3:00pm

Post #42 of 52 (854 views)
Shortcut
shoulder is fine [In reply to] Can't Post

I am about at 80% range of motion, but I was worse than that for years before the surgery and can do most things, so it's a nonissue.

Definitely the walking is good for the knee. If I don't walk, it starts to hurt. Moving arthritic joints seems counterintuitive but it really is the best thing for them. As a friend says, "gotta keep moving or I'll seize up."

-- Gaston Bachelard

DwellerInDale
Rohan

May 25, 3:16pm

Post #43 of 52 (853 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they can be wall hangings [In reply to] Can't Post

Or, you can use them as curtains. This is my recent purchase; it includes the five animals elephant, horse, peacock, bird, and lion-dog. The length is 56 inches.

Don't mess with my favorite female elves.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25, 8:01pm

Post #44 of 52 (820 views)
Shortcut
I love it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Half-elven

May 26, 12:33am

Post #45 of 52 (793 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Last night ended up included a full rosary prayer, so everyone's having a tough time but is doing their best.

The grand tour, I'd say! It's tough in such a big metropolitan region since you can never see .001% of what you'd like to show, so you just have to pick a few things you think the person would like, and accept that they'll miss a lot of other cool things. We did wander into a really nice little Tibetan and Nepalese restaurant at the end of the lunch hour. They had a really good lunch combo and had very generous portions, so it was fun discovering a new place that we'll definitely want to support moving forward. I also took her to a couple of local bookstores, even though she's mostly library-only with her reading material.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 26, 3:23pm

Post #46 of 52 (704 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand clapping!* RED [In reply to] Can't Post

[Almost] Retired: Extremely Delighted! What a great way to celebrate Retirement for all of you. It's also a wonderful way to give your co-workers a chance to celebrate YOU! ALL OF YOU!! ;D

Oh my.... you must be getting down to counting the days instead of months and weeks! :D Do you have an official date yet?

I hope you're enjoying your last "work time" holiday!!! Sly

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 26, 5:40pm

Post #47 of 52 (688 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations on your retirement! [In reply to] Can't Post

You can look back on all the good you've done, all the children who love books that might not have otherwise, pick up your staff and bag, grab Charlie, and head off to Rivendell .SmileSmile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 26, 11:51pm

Post #48 of 52 (633 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

The date is the fiscal end of the school year, June 30th, but the last working day is the Friday before, June 28th. Last day of classes is the 12th, and most staff will clear out shortly after, and I've got some vacation days to still take, but this will give me a few days to prep the summer inventory and set up for incoming supplies and get the July 1st order in place and ready to go.

Then it will be someone else's job...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 26, 11:57pm

Post #49 of 52 (634 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! I've been gradually clearing out my stuff. The first week of June will be starting to say "good-bye" to the kids, although I'm always seeing them at the grocery store etc.!

My librarian has a great sense of humor. She found a poster which she's put up in a hallway, it shows an iconic figure with the words "BATMAN RETURNS...his books to the Library", and then you realize the figure is holding books in his hands!

I think some nice day-trips will be in order, especially once the weather cools and kids head back to school and places are less crowded during the week. Smile

Altaira
Superuser

May 27, 4:48am

Post #50 of 52 (597 views)
Shortcut
Love Rotorua! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only been there once, but my brother-in-law is from there so B.G. and the rest of his family have been there lots. Waimangu looks wonderful, and simply magical at night. We went to Wai-O-tapu and hiked all around, but we'll definitely have to put Waimangu on the list for our next visit.

Best of luck with the writing! Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.