Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Come on in and join us for Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

May 24, 4:16pm

Post #1 of 52 (1626 views)
Shortcut
Come on in and join us for Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Hello, everyone, and welcome to Fiesta!

Or rather, I should I say: kon' nichiwa, as B.G. and I have returned from an amazing trip to Japan, then on to Vancouver, Canada via lovely Alaska.

We loved Japan. The people there are SO polite and friendly, although the many cultural customs can be daunting at times (though they're very tolerant of foreigners not knowing all of them). For example, it's customary not to hand someone money directly. Instead they have little trays to put the money on, then you hand over the tray. Once at our Tokyo hotel I went to the hotel desk to get some change and forgot and held out my money. The clerk took it from me, put it on a tray, and only then took it (on the tray) to the register to get change, which she then handed me on a tray. Laugh

We were lucky enough to see the cherry blossoms, and in Alaska I ticked off a bucket list item when we saw the northern lights for hours one night from the ship. It was that weekend that they got further south enough that they were visible in many places that normally wouldn't be able to see them. Did any of you get to see them? Let us know! (I'll post some pics as soon as I'm awake enough to find them - still suffering from a bit of jet lag. Pirate)

The buffet is piled high with all sorts of sandwiches, salads, and desserts, the kegs of 1420 are tapped, and the corks are about to pop on bottles of bubbly, so have at it!

*puts quarters on juke box* play us one of your favs, and have an amazing weekend! CoolHeartSmile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24, 4:36pm

Post #2 of 52 (1580 views)
Shortcut
What fantastic travels you have had, Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's so funny about the money exchange! The trees must have been magnificent.

Oh good, you got a prime seat for the northern lights! Alas, we had cloudy nights here, but I know others had great viewings of them.

*takes egg salad sandwich* I'll take a pint of that 1420 as well, please! It's the day before a 3-day weekend, and the gang here has just announced the retirement party for me and two other gals who are retiring this year (we like having combined parties, we invite the already-retired staff, who always have tons of "advice" for new retirees. Laugh)

It's going to be a fine weekend for puttering around in the garden. How are your trees and plantings coming along? What are your latest bird sightings?

*puts quarter in juke box*. Hm, how about this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQER0A0ej0M Everybody now, "Na na na nanananaaaaa..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 24, 4:40pm

Post #3 of 52 (1581 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Home!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh man... your trip sounds amazing! Lights and trays :D We saw the northern lights a little bit in mid-Michigan; but only a shadow and only for a few hours on the first night. The rest of the weekend (nights available) was too cloudy then rainy. But what we got had I OOOOing and AAAHHHHHing!

Do you know if Japan has always had the tray use for money exchange, or just since the pandemic? Wouldn't the tray be as iffy as the actual fundage? ;)

I'll definitely grab some goodies from the buffet and a tall chocolate shake as I quietly celebr... acknowledge... that my I took my daughter home yesterday (Thursday) after 6 weeks getting back on her feet enough to take care of most of her daily movements. I'll still be going over every day to make sure she's steady and able (mostly emotional support), but her son has been put on the alert to be very attentive and not disappear to his room for a huge majority of his day/night. Pickle and I sat in the recliner and watched (or slept) well into the night. Ahhhhhhhh :)

I'm so glad B.G. and you had such a great time! It's good to have you back and about the place :D *HUGS*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

May 24, 4:50pm

Post #4 of 52 (1575 views)
Shortcut
Hey there, dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

The retirement party sounds like lots of fun. Sooner than later you'll be one of the ones to offer advice, lol. So, when is your official last day? I had forgotten this Monday is Memorial Day because there's still so much of May left. That's one thing I'm sure the retirees will tell you - that you'll lose track of Monday holidays especially because every day will be like a holiday!

I haven't ventured out to the yard yet. From what I can see, there are weeds in the perimeter beds, but they're still at that baby stage that makes them easy to pull. It's our monster wild rose that I dread dealing with. No matter how much we cut it down it always comes back with a vengeance, and it's *very* prickly to deal with, even with leather gloves.

Have fun puttering, and enjoy the long weekend!

Altaira
Superuser

May 24, 5:03pm

Post #5 of 52 (1576 views)
Shortcut
Hooray! [In reply to] Can't Post

gramma, that's such great news about your daughter. She's made such good progress - I'm sure due to the wonderful care she's been given. She's very lucky to have you. Smile After all the care giving, you and Pickle deserved a nice long night 'watching tv' *wink, wink*

I think in general the Japanese think of money as something on the distasteful side. It's impolite to talk or ask about how much someone earns. It's very distasteful to tip someone. To them it implies that they're not earning enough, or doing a good enough job for what they earn. I read that it's okay to tip tour guides (which I did) but even then it's better to put the money in an envelope and hand it to them respectfully with both hands. I forgot the envelopes, but I did remember to use both hands, and say arigato gozaimasu (thank you very much) with a head bow. Japan is one place it's definitely worth looking into and learning about before you go!

Have a wonderful, restful weekend, gramma!

Annael
Immortal

May 24, 6:28pm

Post #6 of 52 (1570 views)
Shortcut
welcome home! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I saw the Northern Lights from home - just a bit south of the Canadian border here. What fun to see them from a ship!

Tomorrow is a very social day for me. Going to a town a bit east of Seattle to have breakfast with a friend who is visiting from SoCal; then heading into the city to meet up with a friend and go searching for Bruun Idun, one of the five trolls that have appeared around town!

https://secretseattle.co/...west-trolls-seattle/

Bruun Idun is in West Seattle; I've found the one in Issaquah already, and next month for another friend's birthday we're going to search out the one on Bainbridge Island. I may swing past the Nordic Museum in NW Seattle to see that troll as well.

After that, I'm meeting up with a third friend for happy hour. I try to get the most out of my trips to town!

I've been having fun mapping my daily walks, which I just figured out to do in my Fit app. It's inspiration to go new places and walk for longer!

We're still coolish here, and it rains about every other day, but the garden is finally taking off! The hummers are ignoring the feeder, there's enough natural sources now so that's going to come down for the summer.

*helps self to a BTLA on sourdough and some lemonade*

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Altaira
Superuser

May 24, 6:51pm

Post #7 of 52 (1565 views)
Shortcut
Fun weekend! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! Your social calendar is indeed full. How lucky to be able to coordinate that many meet-ups in one day. And, those trolls are fascinating (if a little scary), but beautifully done. At first I envisioned little garden trolls that were hidden in places, but you couldn't miss those big ones.

I haven't seen any hummingbirds here yet (though we were gone for a lot of their migration period). However, we're getting into our semi-annual moth migration from the plains to the mountains. These are young moths who will migrate back to lay their eggs in the autumn. Somehow they always manage to get into the house, but luckily they're easy to catch and release if you see them. If you don't see them, they vacume up easily too once you finally discover them. Crazy

Enjoy the meetings and walks!! Heart

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

May 24, 8:45pm

Post #8 of 52 (1564 views)
Shortcut
Good evening all, and welcome back Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

What adventures you have had! Sounds like Japan is a place where doing the homework on etiquette before visiting would be time well spent. I did see a glimmer of the Northern lights with a little colour, but I bet they looked a lot better where you were!
Speaking of colour, I've just been enjoying a week of daily tv coverage from the gloriously colourful Chelsea Flower Show, which is guaranteed to give one ideas above one's horticultural station! So many beautiful plants, flowers and settings to be admired...*sigh* Proper 1420, that was!
In honour of Chelsea I guess I could offer up the rather twee old 'English Country Garden' song - it'll sound a lot better after a couple of pints of 1420! - which seems to have acquired quite a selection of American wildlife in this version, but the plants are pretty accurate! Nope, link's not working for me - again. Apologies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUyxCP5Rvco

(This post was edited by Altaira on May 24, 11:53pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

May 24, 8:53pm

Post #9 of 52 (1556 views)
Shortcut
It'll be a bit strange [In reply to] Can't Post

having the place to yourself again after six weeks - and reclaiming the recliner! I hope your daughter gets back into her strideagain soon; she's lucky to have such an attentive mum.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

May 24, 9:13pm

Post #10 of 52 (1558 views)
Shortcut
Just Another Day in Paradise [In reply to] Can't Post

A Friday morning in Chiang Mai. Noticing that I'm about out of clean clothes, I pack up my laundry and head down the soi (the little back street) where my hotel is located. Halfway down I see an Englishwoman and a Chinese gal standing in the rear parking lot of an apartment building. They greet me and as if I'm going to K_ House, their hostel. I say, um, no, I'm off to do my laundry. Turns out they are completely lost- their taxi driver dropped them here, about a mile and a half from their guesthouse, and they have no idea where they are. Pretty frightening to be somewhere in a strange city where you don't speak the language and have no idea were you are! I figure out from a map on the Chinese girl's phone where their guesthouse is, then take them to Wat Phra Singh temple where rote dang drivers hang out; these are guys who drive covered red pickup trucks that serve as the city's taxis. I explain to the driver where they need to go and settle on the fare. I hope they make it okay. My good deed for the day.

On Friday night, there is a resolution of sorts to my "kalaga adventure". Let me explain. I like kalagas, which are Burmese-style embroidered tapestries that look like this:

I bought my first antique kalaga years ago when I worked at a bilingual school. At that time I showed it to some Thai colleagues; one of whom said "Thai people don't buy these." When I asked why, she said "Because these are not for Thai people to buy" (?). Anyway, earlier on this trip I went to Doi Suthep temple on the top of the local mountain, and in the souvenir market I found a matching antique kalaga I really wanted. However, the stall owner wasn't there. The lady in the next stall took one look at my foreigner face and said "8,000 baht" ($225). Unfortunately, this happens even though I speak local Thai. No way. And, since I have no easy way to get back to this temple before leaving Chiang Mai, I'm stuck. But on Friday night, when there is a huge street market, out of the blue I come across a lady selling kalagas, and I get a nice one for 2,000 baht, so all's well that ends well.

Don't mess with my favorite female elves.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24, 11:16pm

Post #11 of 52 (1550 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds an amazing trip. There's some discussion further down this board about the Aurorae, which we were unfortunately outside the range of, but lots of TORnfolk did see.

A much smaller trip for us, but very enjoyable: we went to Rotorua for a couple of days. Stayed in a motel where we had our own hot tub, which was most enjoyable after an active day.

Particular highlights: a fab day at http://www.waimangu.co.nz/ Waimangu Thermal Valley, where we've been several times before, but this time we went on the boat ride as well as doing the walk. Brilliant, and a reminder of things we almost take for granted about living in Aotearoa New Zealand. And a delightful evening up among the redwoods: http://www.treewalk.co.nz/...edwoods-nightlights/. You walk about on platforms 20 metres above the ground, crossing on suspension bridges, bathed in fairy lights and the light from beautiful lanterns. All rather Lorien-like, complete with flets.

A nice change of scene, at a time of year when it's easy to get stale.

Back to the usual :) Hoping for a productive week writing-wise after thre break.

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

cats16
Half-elven

May 24, 11:32pm

Post #12 of 52 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a lovely trip! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you make it to any other cities, or just Tokyo? Agreed though, there are a few customs that will throw you off as an American if you're not aware of them, but easy enough to adhere to once you do. One of my favorite little observations from our time there was how paper-based everything is, as if the 1990's are still roaring. Sending your luggage to another city ahead of your train trip there? There will be a comprehensive form that they'll fill out, with about 40 different little boxes on it being meticulously completed as if it's the SAT. I felt that many folks I observed took almost a bit of pleasure in that bureaucratic paperwork, because things actually seem to work well within that system. Much to admire, to say the least! Very glad you had a great time though!

I'll take a quick sandwich to go, as we'll be going to a little family gathering on my girlfriend's side after work. Unfortunately one of her cousins (not a super close cousin, but a cousin all the same) unexpectedly passed away mid-week, so the family is getting together tonight to pay respects ahead of any services that eventually happen. We'll also get some good outdoor time in this weekend as well as bingo with other family, so hopefully some nice relaxation after what's likely to be a somber evening tonight.

Earlier this week, I played host to a friend visiting town. It was only for a couple of days, but it's always nice getting some actual face time in with folks when you can get it.

Wishing everyone a happy long weekend (for those in the US)!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on May 24, 11:33pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24, 11:33pm

Post #13 of 52 (1546 views)
Shortcut
I'll take an energising elderflower water, thanks madam barkeep! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just come back from an hour-long bike ride and I juuuust beat the rain back. Ha ha! I'll take that for a win. Smile

While on my ride I realised that what I'd taken for a driveway is more like an informal road so I rode up it, and discovered a little reserve area that overlooks a major reserve and the sea. There's even a railway pedestrian overbridge that I never knew existed! I'll have to go exploring on foot, one day soon.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

cats16
Half-elven

May 24, 11:35pm

Post #14 of 52 (1543 views)
Shortcut
You're almost there! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll save the full congratulations when the day finally arrives, but I'm happy the end is in sight and hope the party is fun. Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24, 11:36pm

Post #15 of 52 (1542 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a bougainvillea I used to have. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
it always comes back with a vengeance, and it's *very* prickly to deal with, even with leather gloves.

It had gorgeous purple flower and fiendish thorns. I finally had it cut down because it became too much to manage.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

cats16
Half-elven

May 24, 11:38pm

Post #16 of 52 (1541 views)
Shortcut
That sounds fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that feeling of not knowing where a new path or trail leads. Smile

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24, 11:44pm

Post #17 of 52 (1542 views)
Shortcut
Waimangu Valley is just incredible. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did the bus trip + boat ride for my 50th and that was such an experience. Did the boat captain stop at one point and say that one of the missing terraces was directly beneath your feet?

Seeing just one of the Tarawera craters from the lake was awe-full, especially when trying to imagine a line of them erupting at once.

My LOTR fan-fiction

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24, 11:45pm

Post #18 of 52 (1539 views)
Shortcut
I was warned [In reply to] Can't Post

by my brother - being retired is being on "island time"!Laugh My last day is June 28th, since the school year ends on the 30th but that's a Sunday.

That wild rose must be gorgeous, even though it's difficult to tame! Have fun recuperating from the trip - and don't forget the pictures! Smile

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24, 11:46pm

Post #19 of 52 (1539 views)
Shortcut
Same! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tiny adventures that sometimes lead to something cute. Smile

My LOTR fan-fiction

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24, 11:47pm

Post #20 of 52 (1537 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's in two weeks, at a local Mexican bar & grill that a lot of the staff like, and which has a room for events. I hope they have a buffet!

Altaira
Superuser

May 24, 11:57pm

Post #21 of 52 (1538 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to check that out [In reply to] Can't Post

the garden show that is. Sounds like something that would be good to have on in background while doing household chores this weekend. I looks like it will still be going on tomorrow, and the website can keep me entertained after that. Love the song!
p.s. I turned your web address into a link. Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24, 11:59pm

Post #22 of 52 (1537 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations all around! [In reply to] Can't Post

She must be feeling such relief at finally able to be "on her own" - and it's very good that her son can now keep an eye on her.

And Pickle must have been so, so, so happy, he's got his "Mom" back to himself! Animals are so patient with us! Heart

So...mowing the lawn this weekend?

Altaira
Superuser

May 25, 12:05am

Post #23 of 52 (1536 views)
Shortcut
Very pretty! [In reply to] Can't Post

That tapestry is beautiful. Are those sequins or beads? How big is it? Looks like something fun to collect. I' glad you found another one you like.

That area does look paradise-like, and I bet the food is amazing. Enjoy the weekend there! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25, 12:08am

Post #24 of 52 (1535 views)
Shortcut
Those look a lot friendlier than Bilbo's trolls [In reply to] Can't Post

even though they're the same size! Do you take selfies with them?

How far do you usually go on your daily walks, and are you doing both around-town as well as out in nature?

Our hummers tend to sip at our feeder through the summer, even though we've got a fuchsia and there's plenty of stuff in bloom. But we can tell when they've got eggs hatching by how thirsty they are.

May everything go splendidly for your outing tomorrow!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25, 12:13am

Post #25 of 52 (1537 views)
Shortcut
That was lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another song I've not heard in ages, and what a perfect video to go with it!

I'm assuming your garden looks just like that? Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.