Dear Admins: I've stopped getting email alerts,
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 18 2023, 5:17pm

Post #1 of 46 (2931 views)
Shortcut
Dear Admins: I've stopped getting email alerts, Can't Post

and I have no idea why. I went into my account, and it still seems set up to get them, but it's not happening. Elentari sent me a P.M. today, for instance, but no usual email alert.
Can you do something on your end, possibly?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 18 2023, 5:54pm

Post #2 of 46 (2835 views)
Shortcut
Join the club! [In reply to] Can't Post

I stopped receiving notifications months ago and I have no idea why.

“Hell hath no fury like that of the uninvolved.” - Tony Isabella

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 18 2023, 9:12pm

Post #3 of 46 (2823 views)
Shortcut
Huh, yeah, right about then. Hmmmm! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 18 2023, 9:14pm

Post #4 of 46 (2827 views)
Shortcut
This is a new one [In reply to] Can't Post

You haven't been receiving notifications for months too, or it just happened recently?
Did you get a notification of my reply to your post just now?

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 18 2023, 9:21pm

Post #5 of 46 (2825 views)
Shortcut
Same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just thought I must have unchecked something on my profile page (not out of the realm of possibility) but no, it still shows I'm asking for notifications. I think it was fine several months ago. I haven't been active lately. I had responses to posts yesterday, but no email notifications of them.

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Sep 18 2023, 9:26pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 18 2023, 9:38pm

Post #6 of 46 (2822 views)
Shortcut
Actually, 1 month. I misread Otaku's reply. [In reply to] Can't Post

My last alert was September 4rth. And no, I didn't get anything from your reply. I did look in Spam to be sure about it.

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 19 2023, 2:43pm

Post #7 of 46 (2809 views)
Shortcut
Have you checked your spam folder? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's possible something on your mail client changed and is flagging those alerts as spam. If they aren't there, then it's possible something is preventing them getting out to you. But I would start with seeing if your spam filter has picked it up.
Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 19 2023, 4:41pm

Post #8 of 46 (2804 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I check it constantly. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing is ever there from TORn. It just stopped abruptly after Sept. 4, with no changes on my end or in my email at all. Unsure

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 19 2023, 4:58pm

Post #9 of 46 (2803 views)
Shortcut
I also just check in blocked, [In reply to] Can't Post

(it's gmail), and it says I don't have any blocked addresses.

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 19 2023, 9:23pm

Post #10 of 46 (2789 views)
Shortcut
No spam, no blocked. Cheers.// [In reply to] Can't Post

DGHCaretaker
Rohan

Sep 20 2023, 6:16am

Post #11 of 46 (2786 views)
Shortcut
Blacklists [In reply to] Can't Post

The TORn maintainer(s) should check the various online blacklists to see if they've been flagged for spam. Also check with your host, if you have shared hosting, to see if they've flagged you locally. Get the email server your account uses on that host to see if the email server has been flagged on the blacklists for spam. Etc. Removal is not easy work...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 20 2023, 1:29pm

Post #12 of 46 (2778 views)
Shortcut
Not Spam. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nope! I've checked my spam filter a few times and TORn doesn't show up on it.

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 21 2023, 4:14am

Post #13 of 46 (2764 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for mentioning this [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still getting my notifications so I never would have noticed.

My experiment with Ethel (the old trick of turning it off, the turning it back on) didn't work, so I'm going to move this up the chain to Corvar.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 21 2023, 2:11pm

Post #14 of 46 (2752 views)
Shortcut
We alertless folks thank you kindly! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 26 2023, 2:05pm

Post #15 of 46 (2617 views)
Shortcut
Just checking in. [In reply to] Can't Post

Anything like a fix popping up yet?

elentari3018
Rohan

Sep 27 2023, 2:56am

Post #16 of 46 (2600 views)
Shortcut
yes me too! and i thought i was the only one. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to manually check the boards daily now. :P

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

"Few other griefs amid the ill chances of this world have more bitterness and shame for a man's heart than to behold the love of a lady so fair and brave that cannot be returned." -Aragorn

"He knew now why Beregond spoke his name with love. He was a captain that men would follow, that he would follow, even under the shadow of the black wings."- Siege of Gondor, RotK

elentari3018
Rohan

Oct 11 2023, 3:03am

Post #17 of 46 (2364 views)
Shortcut
Do you know when the email problem will be solved? [In reply to] Can't Post

Still not getting emails of replies.
Thank yoU! =)

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

"He knew now why Beregond spoke his name with love. He was a captain that men would follow, that he would follow, even under the shadow of the black wings."- Siege of Gondor, RotK

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 11 2023, 5:02am

Post #18 of 46 (2359 views)
Shortcut
Corvar is looking into it [In reply to] Can't Post

... and I keep trying to help him by thinking of anything that could be causing it. It's happening to both PMs and post reply notifications, correct?
Nothing has changed in the underlying code of the boards, and the code to send reply notifications for PMs and post replies is as simple as simple can get. So, somewhere between those simple instructions and some people's email servers, something is broken. The interesting thing is that it's not *all* people's emails, and not all from the same email provider (e.g., gmail, aol, comcast) which is making it an extra specially difficult mystery.
In addition, Corvar is mostly available only on weekends, so each weekend we do more communicating and brainstorming.

Thanks for your patience everyone!

DGHCaretaker
Rohan

Oct 11 2023, 6:30am

Post #19 of 46 (2359 views)
Shortcut
Blacklists [In reply to] Can't Post

Corvar may need to check various online blacklists for TORN, including those of your recipients. Given your description, TORN may be flagged in various servers along the way to us. The servers may use specific blacklist services, big or small, or IP regions that happen to include TORN server IP(s).

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 11 2023, 7:04pm

Post #20 of 46 (2351 views)
Shortcut
I had that happen with msn mail, [In reply to] Can't Post

with a daily inspirational message service I'd been getting. It suddenly stopped arriving, and the organization said it had been blocked by the servers or something (it wasn't explained very clearly) and that they thought they could fix it, but it never actually happened. I had to re-subscribe through gmail.
Not sure if this is at all the same thing; but it's upsetting that this sort of thing can happen with no recourse.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 11 2023, 7:04pm

Post #21 of 46 (2349 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! Yes, P.M.'s as well. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 12 2023, 5:31am

Post #22 of 46 (2342 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure [In reply to] Can't Post

that's exactly one of the things he's looking into. Smile

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 13 2023, 7:11pm

Post #23 of 46 (2319 views)
Shortcut
---> It should be okay now [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to Corvar! I tested it by sending Ethel a PM and she got a notification.

If anyone is still having problems, let me know. Smile

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 13 2023, 7:15pm

Post #24 of 46 (2312 views)
Shortcut
Glory and trumepts! :D Thanks to you and Corvar!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 13 2023, 7:20pm

Post #25 of 46 (2315 views)
Shortcut
Okay [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll keep an eye on my email and see what happens.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.