The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Possible Posting Proposal?

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 3, 7:49pm

Post #1 of 7 (4212 views)
Shortcut
Possible Posting Proposal? Can't Post

I’m thinking of a blend between Oliphaunt’s and NoWiz’s ideas as a framework, and including ideas from Elentari and the 2 Curious’s. Otherwise, I think there would likely be too much overlap, plus without reference to Bilbo’s and Frodo’s outlooks and experiences, I’m not sure we’d have enough material for a general discussion.

What about something like this?

Shire society (as NoWiz says, "since we get a lot of this at the start of the book, what this is like and how it chafes the eccentric, cosmopolitan Bagginses")

First set of discussions: General discussion on the Shire in earlier days, including the Shire in the Hobbit and the Shire in the first part of LOTR, including but not limited to this idea “Bilbo’s Shire vs Frodo’s Shire: Changes in the Shire from the world of The Hobbit to the world of The Lord of the Rings.”

This would include, but again not be limited to this question: “How does Bilbo’s Shire and Bilbo’s experience of the Shire compare to Frodo’s” in these book sections?

[Then later, we can ask the same question about Bilbo and Frodo, plus the following other 2 of Oliphaunt’s, when we get to the Scouring: “Changes in the Shire from A Long-Expected Party to The Grey Havens” and “Bilbo’s worldview (Shire-view?) versus Frodo’s worldview from departure to homecoming to departure.”]

1. First post in this series

General Hobbit culture in the Hobbit and early LOTR, not focused on comparing the two yet, but seeing how both books together can describe the Shire more completely, including CuriousG’s idea here: “I’m thinking Bilbo's party could be 1-2 posts about general hobbit culture, including even the goodbye notes on the gifts he gave away and what that tells us about Shire culture. “

2. Second Post

Curious: “A discussion of trees in the Shire. And perhaps flora and fauna in general, as well as trees. But mostly trees.”

3. Third Post

"Bilbo’s Shire vs. Frodo’s Shire: Changes in the Shire from the world of The Hobbit to the world of The Lord of the Rings. How does Bilbo’s Shire and Bilbo’s experience of the Shire compare to Frodo’s” in these book sections?

4. Fourth post (but could be included in the first post, or if it gets too long, make the first post into 2, and adjust accordingly.)

NoWiz’s idea about “The Shire, a gazetteer. Once Three is Company, we get a tour of the unexpectedly wild and secret corridor of The Shire.”

5. Fifth Post

"The Shire from Near and Far:

How does the Shire, memories of the Shire or the idea of the Shire, work for characters when they are outside its borders?

How does the reality of the Shire align with Shire from afar?"

6. Sixth Post

General discussion of “changes in the Shire from A Long-Expected Party to The Grey Havens” which could include Oliphaunts’s “Bilbo’s worldview (Shire-view?) versus Frodo’s worldview from departure to homecoming to departure,” or that could be the next post.

7. Seventh or Eighth Post

"Evolution of hobbits and how their seed of courage had been awakened": The growth of courage in the the “Quest Hobbits,” including Bilbo in the Hobbit and LOTR, and also Fredegar I think, with Elentari’s idea of Filght to the Ford as an essential part of the theme of bravery.
After that, something on the general theme of bravery or something else from people’s ideas in the Pollantir post and on here?

Whaddya all think?

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Apr 3, 7:52pm)

oliphaunt
Lorien

Apr 4, 12:18am

Post #2 of 7 (4183 views)
Shortcut
Works for oliphaunt [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to start reading The Hobbit and then on to Fellowship, making notes for Bilbo's Shire vs Frodo's Shire. Looking forward to reading with this purpose in mind! So I'll take the third discussion.

*** Middle Earth Inexpert ***

elentari3018
Rohan

Apr 4, 1:39am

Post #3 of 7 (4179 views)
Shortcut
This is great proposal! [In reply to] Can't Post

How would the schedule be like? Every two weeks? When will we start?
I would sign up for last discussion about bravery and the evolution of the hobbits in their different cases we see . That could be several posts by itself too. :)
Looking forward! Thanks for proposing this framework!

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

"He knew now why Beregond spoke his name with love. He was a captain that men would follow, that he would follow, even under the shadow of the black wings."- Siege of Gondor, RotK

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 4, 1:46am

Post #4 of 7 (4172 views)
Shortcut
That's great! I wasn't sure if I'd missed the mark, [In reply to] Can't Post

or messed up people's ideas or what; but glad you think it's OK.
I'll put you down for no. 3, forthwith!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 4, 1:47am

Post #5 of 7 (4172 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! I wasn't sure if this [In reply to] Can't Post

was anything like folks had in mind; but glad you're ok with it!
I'll put you down for bravery! Smile

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 4, 1:56am

Post #6 of 7 (4173 views)
Shortcut
Posting list: "Who's on third?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Oliphaunt! Third Post: "Bilbo’s Shire vs. Frodo’s Shire: Changes in the Shire from the world of The Hobbit to the world of The Lord of the Rings. How does Bilbo’s Shire and Bilbo’s experience of the Shire compare to Frodo’s” in these book sections?

Who's on at left or center field?

Elentari! Seventh or Eighth Post: "Evolution of hobbits and how their seed of courage had been awakened."

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 5, 6:35pm

Post #7 of 7 (4094 views)
Shortcut
Continued in new thread, starting today. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.