Meet the new fresh-faced writers of The War of the Rohirrim

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 27, 2:17am

Post #1 of 5 (1388 views)
Shortcut
Meet the new fresh-faced writers of The War of the Rohirrim Can't Post

Justin Sewell posts on the TORn Homepage:

New Line Cinema and Adult Swim’s upcoming anime film spinoff to The Lord of the Rings, titled The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim, is still shrouded in mystery even after an industry-only preview last summer. The all-star production, starring Miranda Otto and Brian Cox, is led by Oscar winning LOTR Executive Producer Philippa Boyens and the highly respected production team behind Blade Runner: Black Lotus and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

The initial announcement in 2021 listed the Emmy winning writing team behind Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, Jeffrey Addiss and Will Matthews, who spent a year exploring the story. Since then the script has gone through normal retooling, eventually landing a new credited screenwriting duo: Phoebe Gittins and Arty Papageorgiou.

Billed as the next generation of writers by EP Boyens, childhood friends Phoebe and Arty initially were brought in to write background dialog for the movie. Through the creative process, it became apparent that their youthful perspective – raised on the exploding growth of anime — helped the film’s collaboration with the Japanese director Kenji Kamiyama and animation studio Sola Entertainment. Plus, who better to tell the story of Héra [Editor’s note: the name’s not taken from the Greek, but from the Anglo-saxon] than someone closer in age?

In a brand-new interview with Nerd of the Rings, writers Phoebe Gittins and Arty Papageorgiou join excecutive producer Philippa Boyens for an in-depth conversation on bringing the history of Rohirrim and Rohan’s shieldmaidens to the big screen. Enjoy this exclusive preview of the conversation, edited for format and clarity, which will be posted in full tomorrow.

Continued in the link.

“Hell hath no fury like that of the uninvolved.” - Tony Isabella

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 27, 2:18am)

TFP
Lorien

Feb 27, 9:51am

Post #2 of 5 (1324 views)
Shortcut
Next Gen/Nepo Babies [In reply to] Can't Post

fair play to Boyens, no one could accuse her of not looking out for her children. Phoebe has had a part either in front of or behind the camera in everything of note that momma has ever done.

Annael
Immortal

Feb 27, 5:41pm

Post #3 of 5 (1288 views)
Shortcut
I was a bit worried about a "younger, edgier" take [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HeNZBItzps

(And let's not even talk about nepo baby Dakota Johnson's horrible "modern" version of "Persuasion.")

Also have bit of trepidation after seeing the travesty that was Studio Ghibli's take on "A Wizard of Earthsea." WHY can no one make a good adaptation of that book????

but it sounds like they also know and love the book -- and they have friends who are serious Tolkien nerds who are going to hold them to account, so . . . we shall see.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Feb 27, 5:43pm)

AshNazg
Grey Havens

Feb 27, 8:35pm

Post #4 of 5 (1267 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like Héra will be protagonist? [In reply to] Can't Post

So this will be about Helm's daughter and the story of the Shieldmaidens?

I don't hate this idea, she would have a very interesting perspective on this conflict. She's surrounded by some pretty brutal and unpleasant men - and she is essentially the spark that starts the whole fire.

However, I am worried about the wider audience's reaction when they discover this. I can practically predict some of the responses already.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Feb 27, 8:37pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 27, 9:59pm

Post #5 of 5 (1258 views)
Shortcut
Helm, Halath, Hama and Frealaf [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as Helm, his sons and his nephew get their just due, I'm okay with the female-centric elements. I've only watched part of the interview so far.

“Hell hath no fury like that of the uninvolved.” - Tony Isabella

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.