Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
respectfully asked: why is this board not covered by secure connection / https ?

Maciliel
Valinor

Jan 8, 4:20am

Post #1 of 5 (1906 views)
Shortcut
respectfully asked: why is this board not covered by secure connection / https ? Can't Post

modar, hallo : )

respectfully asked: why is this board not covered by secure connection / https ?

thanks and cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 8, 5:56am

Post #2 of 5 (1897 views)
Shortcut
Easy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good question, Maciliel.

The reasons are:

1) TORn has no membership fees or subscriptions and doesn't sell anything, etc., thus requires and accepts no payments. Almost all of the sites you see that have https addresses are ones that need to secure payment information.

2) TORn board user passwords are encrypted, so not even the forum admins can see what they are.

3) You have control over much of the user information you choose to put in your profile that is viewable to the public (public as in registered users and unregistered visitors). Your user name, posts, etc. are viewable, but if you choose not to reveal your email, birthday, etc., no one will have access to that. The admins can see the email you registered with, but no one else can see any email info unless you choose to share it.

Thus, a secured https address isn't really relevant here since we already have good security over user/personal info, and don't need additional security for financial info.

Cheers! Smile

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 8, 5:57am)

Maciliel
Valinor

Jan 8, 6:14am

Post #3 of 5 (1893 views)
Shortcut
thanks, altira! : ) quick follow up question... [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks, altira : )

lovely explanation, thank you. : )

quick folllow up question... as there are indeed costs for operating the site, is there a donation mechanism to help? i cannot remember whether there is or not.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

DGHCaretaker
Rohan

Jan 8, 8:15pm

Post #4 of 5 (1869 views)
Shortcut
Passwords [In reply to] Can't Post

Logon passwords are sent in the clear (plain text) over HTTP.

Even on sites with no other risks, such as yours, the password is still at risk on an unencrypted connection. This is a vector into other accounts when people, as they commonly do, use the same password on many sites.

That said, I'm not as concerned on a site like this and because my password here is unique, but not everyone does that. But if you sold stuff, it could go to a secure connection for the purchase, so HTTP is not a real obstacle to that either.

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 11, 6:42am

Post #5 of 5 (1816 views)
Shortcut
Donating [In reply to] Can't Post

How nice of you to ask! HeartSmile

There are indeed costs to maintaining the site. None of the staff aren't paid, but we do have to maintain the server, pay for the domain name and related security, and other costs of running a website. There used to be a 'Donate' link but it seems to have disappeared. I let Calisuri know. When there's an update I'll reply here.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.