The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
S2 Update from Charlotte Brändström

Junesong
Rohan

Feb 13, 9:09pm

Post #1 of 11 (1964 views)
Shortcut
S2 Update from Charlotte Brändström Can't Post

Collider has a quick interview with director Charlotte Brändström about the upcoming season of ROP.

Those of us who are excited will likely be more excited. Those of us who aren't will likely stay that way.

However you feel - check it out here

"So which story do you prefer?"
"The one with the tiger. That's the better story."
"Thank you. And so it goes with God."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 14, 3:11am

Post #2 of 11 (1912 views)
Shortcut
More Twists [In reply to] Can't Post

Just what we need. Frown

“Hell hath no fury like that of the uninvolved.” - Tony Isabella

DGHCaretaker
Rohan

Feb 14, 4:58am

Post #3 of 11 (1898 views)
Shortcut
Gritty [In reply to] Can't Post

The article is so short.

I want someone to ask anyone in authority there all the questions laid down in the recent rumor monger article about things like acquiring rights to The Silmarillion, etc.

So the first word I searched for, with minimal intuition, was "gritty." Lo and behold, my eyes rolled faster than Fred Flintstone's cavemobile wheels when they landed on three occurrences of the word. That's a lot of grit per pound of article for your money. There are few things more trite, trendy, cliché, desperate, and personally disappointing than shows that go "gritty." If I were watching it, this would help convince me to stop. Particularly since Amazon is charging me more and showing me ads to pay for it.

(This post was edited by DGHCaretaker on Feb 14, 5:00am)

Junesong
Rohan

Feb 14, 12:35pm

Post #4 of 11 (1855 views)
Shortcut
Quote of the day [In reply to] Can't Post

"If I were watching it, this would help convince me to stop. Particularly since Amazon is charging me more and showing me ads to pay for it."
I feel like four Alanis Morrissette's singing together in a car.

DGHCaretaker
Rohan

Feb 18, 3:42pm

Post #5 of 11 (1755 views)
Shortcut
Access? Media [In reply to] Can't Post

Screen Rant is part of the "Access Media," which trades positive articles and reviews (some might say propaganda) for access to the production, its press junkets, goodie bags (SWAG), and inside sources.

What's might be more notable than Screen Rant's recent article itself is its headline:

Rings Of Power Season 2's "Edgier" Tease Proves Prime Video Still Doesn't Know Its Audience

It's based upon one director's comment and is a fairly weak article, easily criticized, like most of Screen Rant's articles that focus more on word count than anything else to increase their authors' billables. They predict in the lead:

One of the directors of The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power has teased an "edgier" season 2, further proving that Prime Video doesn't get its audience. Though successful overall, Amazon's Lord of the Rings prequel series has been highly divisive, most notably because of how it diverts Tolkien's canon. Considering the established tone of past screen adaptations set in Middle-earth, the news about changes to Rings of Power season 2 indicates that such complaints will only grow more prominent.

And there's this highlighted sentence from the last paragraph:

While Tolkien's world was poetically dark, "edgy" brings to mind a sort of trendiness that is contradictory to what this author considered art.

I'm amused by their pretentious estimation of Tolkien's art, as if they're scholars. I don't really know. I think they're just trying to create clicks for themselves with manufactured controversy. What I find fascinating is Screen Rant's apparent lack of care about not being invited to the next production party. I'm hoping it's a sign of more dropping of fealty, not just from Screen Rant.

(This post was edited by DGHCaretaker on Feb 18, 3:43pm)

Junesong
Rohan

Feb 19, 3:08pm

Post #6 of 11 (1658 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems like a lot of extrapolation. Gritty could just mean "darker" or "less pretty" which is usually a euphemism in media for villain-centric, which is already something ROP has been talking about for a while.

Personally I don't feel like I have any reason, insight, or authority that would compel me to speculate on the motivations of websites like Screen Rant or Collider. Considering both sites report on mostly tepid products made by billion dollar companies for immediate consumption by a shallow, ignorant culture, the fact that we find more "media sites" hyping up shows and movies and not appraising them with some kind of trustworthy marketplace objectivity does not surprise me.
I don't think I'd be cynical enough to accuse these sites of working for Amazon or any of that, but I know from Tolkien Fan experience that even just agreeing to go and see the set and get toured around London by Amazon was treated on these boards as tantamount to selling your soul to the devil himself.

This reflects more on how shallow, conspiratorial and vindictive we've all become online with all our KNOWLEDGE!! than it does on Amazon, or on set visits, or on any other "perks of access".

It seems like we're smart enough to look around and see bias but not smart enough to understand it or maneuver through it. I suppose this is just me lamenting on how everything seems to fall into the same few tiny ruts around here. It's tedious. The internet has ruined us.

(This post was edited by Junesong on Feb 19, 3:09pm)

Junesong
Rohan

Feb 19, 4:49pm

Post #7 of 11 (1648 views)
Shortcut
Fandumb [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a great article about fandoms around the world and how the internet is making us louder (and dumber) about the things we love (or love hate!)

DGHCaretaker
Rohan

Feb 19, 6:40pm

Post #8 of 11 (1634 views)
Shortcut
History [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of that reads like truisms, common sense, or fairly inert - no real mention of pros and cons.

The brand behavior sounds like a type of virtue signaling or, much more simply, posers. Everyone knows these brands employ more than one person and it's impossible to believe they can all speak with one common voice in agreement as if they were one person except I suppose, the Supreme Court ruling for Citizens United. So it just looks silly. Well, maybe Taylor Swift as a corporation can speak as one person. She seems to drive a single voice, which is kinda fun to watch.

It didn't mention the Arpanet, but it got close. There's a lot of missing history, but I don't think they were going for depth.

(This post was edited by DGHCaretaker on Feb 19, 6:51pm)

Owlyross
Rohan

Feb 20, 9:37am

Post #9 of 11 (1580 views)
Shortcut
Given the subject matter [In reply to] Can't Post

The rise of Sauron, the war in Eregion, the death of Celebrimbor, I'd be concerned if it wasn't 'grittier'. Those aren't light and fluffy topics.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Archestratie
Rohan

Feb 21, 10:30am

Post #10 of 11 (1535 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The rise of Sauron, the war in Eregion, the death of Celebrimbor, I'd be concerned if it wasn't 'grittier'. Those aren't light and fluffy topics.

Yeah, good point. But I wish they had chosen a younger person for the role of Celebrimbor. Charles Edwards is such a nice and affable man, I would hate to see what happens to the character in the books happen to him in the TV show.

My Low-Magic Fantasy Novel on eBook/hardback: The Huntsman and the She-Wolf

The Huntsman and the She-Wolf on audio Book.

Yva
Lorien

May 24, 1:07am

Post #11 of 11 (368 views)
Shortcut
I feel the same way [In reply to] Can't Post

The few scenes with him from the teaser made me feel very anxious and uncomfortable in anticipation of what might come. I'm almost scared to watch. If that's what they meant by "gritty", then it seems fitting.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.