The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Cannes 2001 preview reel.

Steven Van der Berg
Rivendell

Jul 22 2023, 5:00am

Post #1 of 9 (17415 views)
Shortcut
Cannes 2001 preview reel. Can't Post

Didn't know if this has been officially released publicly, but saw this link to it on that popular video sharing site, so I guess it's been making the rounds. Has the Peter Jackson and Ian McKellen intro, some alternate takes, angles and cut-scene snippits, that I see have been shared in other threads, here. https://sp.rmbl.ws/.../V/5/D/IV5Dk.haa.mp4

1080p stream

(This post was edited by Steven Van der Berg on Jul 22 2023, 5:03am)

Steven Van der Berg
Rivendell

Jul 22 2023, 5:53pm

Post #2 of 9 (17347 views)
Shortcut
Whoopsie. [In reply to] Can't Post

Friend has informed me (must have escaped my brain-cell), that this was included within the 4K Collectors box-set, as an extra. Oops! If I'm violating/infringeing, please remove this post. :-x

Junesong
Rohan

Jul 23 2023, 12:39pm

Post #3 of 9 (17311 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Lifelong fan and I'd never seen that before. It was a jaw-dropper. If I had been an international distributor at Cannes that year I would have traded a literal arm and leg to get my hands on that movie. What an epic reel.

"So which story do you prefer?"
"The one with the tiger. That's the better story."
"Thank you. And so it goes with God."

elentari3018
Rohan

Jul 26 2023, 1:59am

Post #4 of 9 (17214 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much! [In reply to] Can't Post

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Noria
Gondor

Jul 26 2023, 8:53pm

Post #5 of 9 (17153 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had read about the preview reel and it's impact, but had never seen it. (I don't have the 4k set.)

No wonder it made an impact! Now it's interesting to compare this footage to the movies in their final form.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 10 2023, 2:08am

Post #6 of 9 (16487 views)
Shortcut
This is wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting this! The last LOTR home video release I purchased was the Blu-ray version of the EEs (including the Costa Botes documentaries), and if I heard about the Cannes reel being included with one of the 4K releases, that knowledge had slipped my mind. It was fun to note the little differences in dialogue, and I grinned at how the Balrog's appearance was tilted much more towards shadow than fire, since they were so intent on keeping the design secret.

(This post was edited by Eldy on Aug 10 2023, 2:15am)

Junesong
Rohan

Sep 7 2023, 7:09pm

Post #7 of 9 (7300 views)
Shortcut
The sky is blue [In reply to] Can't Post

Fantasy lit being derivative of Tolkien is kind of par for the course no?

This got me thinking.

What are the great high fantasy novels post Tolkien that are NOT extremely derivative? Any recommendations?

I'd love to get into a great story or series but I always get so distracted by the tedious and derivative nature of most fantasy storytelling.

Any good works out there you can send my way that are exceptions to this?

For example - the Narnia stories, or the Earthsea novels are all terrific and overlap in some ways (magic, talking animals, wizards, dragons etc) without feeling like photocopies of photocopies.

What's out there?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 8 2023, 1:10am

Post #8 of 9 (7276 views)
Shortcut
Garth Nix's Old Kingdom trilogy is worth a look. [In reply to] Can't Post

They're YA but Nix still wigged me out during book one - Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen. All three are excellent.

Also try The Fifth Season by N K Jemisin (followed by The Obelisk Gate and The Stone Sky).

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Junesong
Rohan

Sep 8 2023, 11:55am

Post #9 of 9 (7236 views)
Shortcut
Cheers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for these!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.