Eöl as the inspiration for Adar?

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 24, 7:37pm

Post #1 of 7 (2517 views)
Shortcut
Eöl as the inspiration for Adar? Can't Post

"As the First Age progressed, Eöl developed a great hatred for the Ńoldor...."

An elf like Eöl could have been ensnared by Sauron with promises of revenge, his own kingdom etc. I wonder if his back story will be developed in season 2.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/...st?cb=20230909182058

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Jan 30, 4:21pm

Post #2 of 7 (2420 views)
Shortcut
I actually thought of the same thing [In reply to] Can't Post

He definitely gave me Eol feelings quite a few times. But mainly cuz he reminded me of what I pictured a Dark Elf to look like. (Not the scars but the dark hair, pale skin and dressed in black and tendencies for evil.)

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 30, 7:16pm

Post #3 of 7 (2403 views)
Shortcut
Dark Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no reason to think that Dark Elves, in general, had any particular tendency towards evil, even if they were "more wild and less wise" than their Eldar cousins. Also, although Eöl was called the Dark Elf he was actually Teleri and not one of the Avari Elves.

“Hell hath no fury like that of the uninvolved.” - Tony Isabella

Wainrider
Rivendell

Feb 1, 5:04am

Post #4 of 7 (2339 views)
Shortcut
Eol [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no doubt that they based him on EOL but of course they didn't just use the character unchanged as their goal seems to be to change everything in Middle-Earth as much as possible.

Felagund
Rohan

Feb 5, 7:40pm

Post #5 of 7 (2235 views)
Shortcut
not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Adar's armour brought to mind Eöl's armour, crafted of the unique metal galvorn. But Adar struck me as a relatively patient, sanguine, almost meditative character. Eöl, on the other hand, comes across more as hate-filled, borderline maniacal paranoiac.

Welcome to the Mordorfone network, where we put the 'hai' back into Uruk

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 10, 12:08am

Post #6 of 7 (1936 views)
Shortcut
Plus [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no indication that Eol ever had any connection with any Orcs in any way. If any anything, his son Maeglin would be a better bet as a potential source for Adar, since he at least did associate with Melkor and his Orc legions in the fall of Gondolin. But really, Adar doesn't have anything to do with either of them. He is simply a newly invented character roughly based on the idea that the Orcs came from corrupted Elves.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 12, 5:02pm

Post #7 of 7 (1611 views)
Shortcut
Inspired by - having an elf who turned against the Noldor rule [In reply to] Can't Post

just opened the door to imaging an elf who could be twisted.

Maeglin is probably the better example:

"Later, seeking after metals, Maeglin defied Turgon's order to stay within the mountains, and was captured by Orcs and brought to Angband. Morgoth promised both Gondolin and Idril in return for the location of the hidden city, thus luring Maeglin into the greatest treachery done in the Elder Days."
https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Maeglin

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.