An Idea for People Here Who Don't Like the Show

Archestratie
Rohan

Feb 14, 2:32am

Post #1 of 7 (2373 views)
Shortcut
An Idea for People Here Who Don't Like the Show Can't Post

Hi guys!

Hope you're doing well. I mostly liked season 1 of RoP, but the rumors about season 2 have me nervous like so many of you. Let's say, hypothetically, all the rumors are true and season 2 is completely off-canon. Let's say it's so bad, that there really won't be any redeeming of the show for those who like things as Tolkien wrote them and Chris preserved them.

I have an idea to share. Those of us with ambition and ability, let's try to put ourselves in positions where we can produce our own canonically accurately (or the very least canonically friendly) content when Tolkien's works become public domain. That's 20 years from now.

For instance, I'm already a self-published author. Those are skills I can continue to hone. In the next 20 years, there's no reason to believe that AI movie-makers won't be a thing. They very likely will. That means any of us with ability, creativity, and time could produce our own Middle-earth multi-media projects.

If RoP turns out to be the train wreck the leaks purport it to be, I think the best course of action is to take it upon ourselves to use the next two decades to prepare good, Tolkien accurate (as much as humanly possible) content for people to consume in the future.

Heck, even if RoP turns out to be good, it's still a viable idea because who knows what other non-canonical stuff will be put out at that time.

My Low-Magic Fantasy Novel on eBook/hardback: The Huntsman and the She-Wolf

The Huntsman and the She-Wolf on audio Book.

Junesong
Rohan

Feb 14, 12:38pm

Post #2 of 7 (2346 views)
Shortcut
Leaks [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you point me in the direction of the leaks you're talking about? So far I've only seen the ones they linked to TORn's webpage. Are there more? That list read like someone shoving a stick into an ant hill for fun. None of it read real to me.

But if there are other's I'd like to hear the rumours and let my mind wander around them,

"So which story do you prefer?"
"The one with the tiger. That's the better story."
"Thank you. And so it goes with God."

Archestratie
Rohan

Feb 15, 8:27pm

Post #3 of 7 (2235 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, speaking of AI movie-makers. You can read about them here: https://www.cnbc.com/...ting-into-video.html

DGHCaretaker
Rohan

Feb 16, 2:32am

Post #4 of 7 (2216 views)
Shortcut
AI Leaks [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Junesong was asking about leaks - not AI. So that answer was a bit nonsequitor. I was more interested in your reference to leaks.

Or maybe AI leaks! Are we there yet?

(This post was edited by DGHCaretaker on Feb 16, 2:33am)

Junesong
Rohan

Feb 16, 1:40pm

Post #5 of 7 (2177 views)
Shortcut
AI Leaks [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a badass MC

"So which story do you prefer?"
"The one with the tiger. That's the better story."
"Thank you. And so it goes with God."

Silvered-glass
Lorien

Feb 19, 10:11pm

Post #6 of 7 (2045 views)
Shortcut
Unofficial Sequel [In reply to] Can't Post

I do have this idea for a properly dramatic LotR sequel that I've been developing in my head. Trying to actually write it would be a massive undertaking though, and I'm not confident in my writing skills, especially relating to things like characterization and writing believable dialogue. Tolkien's prose is really good, and I wouldn't want to write what would be seen as a cheap hack job. Maybe if I give it 20 years, but the world might well end before I finish.

However I'm not sure how the copyrights work regarding the Silmarillion material. My story would have important parts that take place in Valinor, so there could be issues with Christopher's copyrights.

Archestratie
Rohan

Feb 20, 10:53am

Post #7 of 7 (1997 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I do have this idea for a properly dramatic LotR sequel that I've been developing in my head. Trying to actually write it would be a massive undertaking though, and I'm not confident in my writing skills, especially relating to things like characterization and writing believable dialogue. Tolkien's prose is really good, and I wouldn't want to write what would be seen as a cheap hack job. Maybe if I give it 20 years, but the world might well end before I finish.

However I'm not sure how the copyrights work regarding the Silmarillion material. My story would have important parts that take place in Valinor, so there could be issues with Christopher's copyrights.

The letter of the law states that anything written by the author passes into the public domain on January 1st following the 70th anniversary of his/her death. This includes unpublished works such as diaries and letters. So the whole legendarium should belong to the people.

Chris's notes would enjoy copyright protection until Jan 1 following the 70th anniversary of his death.

I understand your concerns. Public domain has been neglected for a long time. But by the time Tolkien's stuff hits public domain all of this will be worked out. We have some big names coming into public domain over the next few years: Mickey Mouse, Superman, Batman, James Bond, Narnia, etc. The details will be fought out in court over these characters long before 2044.

So, you have 20 years to increase your skills and get ready. That's plenty of time. Research the craft of writing. Practice now. Then when the day comes, be ready. I look forward to it :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.