Jun 11 2013, 10:55pm
I'm not very fond of this trailer, but it does, strangely put my mind at peace concerning the film.
1) It does seem like WB asked for an action-packed trailer, with little exposition/dialogue/character, as a response to the critique on AUJ. But, they are still clearly working on the visual effects, which is why all the action shots (except for Legolas sliding in the dark part of mirkwood, and gandalf/thrain) come from one (hopefully unfinished) action scene, that seems to occur at the same time as the barrel escape. This is clearly not the end of the movie, but probably a semi-climax halfway through, therefore, it can be a bit less serious, without taking away from the emotional punch the movie can have. They did not show any action from the last third of the film, which will either contain the attack on Laketown or the attack on Dol Guldor, or both. One is a very strong emotional climax, the other is a huge cliff-hanger.
2) it is clear that these early action scenes were shot as the climax of the first film, back in the day, looking at the colors, lighting. I think the film will turn much darker after the point were the second movie used to start.
3) They showed quite a bit of action and no characters or dialogue, except for Thranduil, but that's just the trailer. Even with me having some annoyances with AUJ, I was very content with the large amount of great dialogue we got, from bag end to the riddles in the dark. Just because it isn't in the trailer, doesn't mean it's not in the movie.
4) This trailer shows that they seem to be doing Thranduil just right.
5) Tauriel actually seems okay, she delivers her lines alright, and does not stick out as someone who does not seem to fit. I don't know if I'll like her, but for now, I do not dislike her either, and that's a relief.
So, they chose to add an action scene that I'll probably dislike a bit, and it was featured prominently in the trailer. doesn't mean the movie will be bad.