May 7 2013, 7:21am
1. Well, let me put it this way, I'm quite sure it wasn't Thorin. After all, His Majesticness had to disentangle his hair after all this running around, looking for the door etc. And that took quite a while, so Thorin stayed behind. Fili and Kili did, too, since they had to help their uncle. None of the other Dwarves was really required to stay behind, so any of them could have gone with Bilbo, but - funny thing - they engaged in a spontaneous hair-braiding session, and you cannot simply go to look for dragons with your hair only half braided. Only Balin could not be bothered with the braiding, so it was Balin, who went with Bilbo a little way down the tunnel.
It's the 15th quiz already? Time flies...
2. Still trying to make nice with Thorin, Bilbo tried to steal the last bottles of the Durin family's secret stash of extra-special hair oil - Thorin had expressed his regrets at not having any of that stuff left to disentangle his hair - but unfortunately Smaug was lying just on top of the last of the bottles. Hence Bilbo had to be content with stealing a cup, a large one, if I remember right, quite possibly gold, I suppose.
3. When Smaug rolled over, Bilbo discovered that there were still three bottles of the extra-special hair oil of Durin's secret stash left. That was very important information for Thorin, who was by now seriously considering to borrow Bofur's hat to hide his bad hair day. Oh, and Bilbo also noticed that there was a spot on Smaugs underside that was not completely covered with gems, thus making him vulnerable.
4. "Never laugh at Thorin's hair! Even if it does look a bit mangy or if he is sporting a rather alarming bed-head." Very sound advice that.
Now, Bilbo found that out long ago, so his latest insight might have been more to do with dragons. Was it maybe something like "Never laugh at live Dragons"?
5. Well, fist of all, he told them all to stop messing with their hair, especially Thorin, who was still wondering if Bilbo could possibly manage to get a bottle of that hair oil from Smaug for him. Then he refused to go back and talk to Smaug again. And finally, he urged them to go into the tunnel and close the door because he was worried that the dragon might attack them (plus, it was dark in there, and in the dark, no one could fuss with their braids, as the hair obsession was seriously getting on Bilbo's nerves - there might have been a touch of hair-envy, too, since his hair, neither on his head or on his feet, was quite long enough to braid).