Mar 8 2007, 8:52pm
Members of the boards here at TORn are going to attempt to create an on-line catalog of collectibles related to J.R.R. Tolkien.
The official Tolkien collectible catalog thread
It is hoped that this thread will serve as a place to gather the information so that it can be organized and presented on a website, probably somewhere on TheOneRing.net.
This was an idea that was germinating, but after Gramma told me of her extensive info already collected and her shared passion for it all, I decided this needed to happen. The support of TORnados leaves me with no doubt that this can be fun, useful and in the end, quite powerful as a collective project.
HOW: Members wishing to contribute can post information about collectibles in the thread. However, they should first READ the previously posted information to make sure they aren't being redundant or to see if they have different information than what is already presented.
Example: User Barrow Wong decides that his Toy Biz action figure line is A) pretty cool B) is definitely a Tolkien collectible and C) he would like to contribute to the cause. He reads through the posts here and under the "ACTION FIGURE" or "TOY" listing he sees a header that says, "TOY BIZ FIGURES" and looks to see what has been recorded. He finds that User Fall Into The Gap Of Rohan has made a list of Toy Biz Figures. He reads and notices that although the user lists Toy Biz's "Mithril Frodo" "Looks dead in a spider web Frodo" and "Orc Frodo" he has neglected the rare "Nine-fingered-Frodo". He replies to the thread with a brief note aboute "Nine-fingered Frodo". If he feels crazy helpful and because he owns one of the rare figures, he might even get out his digital cam and take a photo at web appropriate resolution and puts the pic in his post. Wow! Thanks Barrow Wong!
WHO: You dear reader, to the best of your ability. This is a 'collective knowledge' project.
WHAT: What is considered a Tolkien collectible you ask? Good question. For purposes of this project, Tolkien collectibles must be (and this may change):
A) directly related to J.R.R. Tolkien (surprise surprise!) or his works
B) produced for the public consumer++
* Tolkien's fireplace, once used by him in his house and now for sale on Ebay is NOT of interest to this catalog. It is cool but for our purposes it isn't A COLLECTIBLE, although you might collect it.
++B1) Officially licenced promotional items that were not for sale might be included
* A standee of Aragorn from Bashki's LOTR film that was sent out to 1,000 theaters when the film was released may be eligible. (Another discussion)
C) was manufactured by a company, not made by a fan
* There are lots cool fan made items out there, like buttons or doll houses. The list and users like Barrow Wong think they are cool but it isn't the focus of this catalog. However there is some grey area here. TheOneRing.net once made buttons that said, "Gandalf For President". They were never for sale, but 1,000 buttons might be considered a collectible. Discussion and debate about such things are welcome.
D) Distinctly and directly Tolkien-themed, not an implied connection.
* If the Franklin Mint makes a porcelin piece called "Elven City" and it looks susiciously like Rivendell, we probably wouldn't list it (or maybe we would in its own category of 'almost Tolkien) but if the same Franklin Mint makes the same piece but it is called "Rivendell" well then, it's ours! If a Sweedish Death Metal band makes a song called, "Goblin Parade" it probably wouldn't count but if a band made a song called, "Balrog Bash" or "Gandalf's Funky Chicken" well then, we count it. There is a pretty comprehensive Tolkien music website, but for our purposes, it is too encompasing. (Another debatable topic is what is an "OBVIOUS" Tolkien song and what is "IMPLIED". We will cross the bridge.... maybe).
A list of probable categories might go something like this: books, games, toys, figures, item replicas, prints (art), clothing, jewelry, recordings, adaptations and so on.
* The book category, like most of the others, can be broken down further into MANY sub-categories by books written by Tolkien, about Tolkien, Middle-earth, non-M.e., different languages, covers, editions and so forth and so on.
WHEN: Now is good, start now!
If you have questions, ask away! I can't promise answers, but feel free to ask anything. Many things are yet to be determined and this will evolve on the fly. Please don't be too concerned if you know of a better way to do things, you may be right, but we will sort things out. Remember this is a place to gather the information that will later be organized to form a website or become part of a wing of TORn.
I hope it is fun. Enjoy!
Once upon a time I was MrCere. I still am but this name is for posting and being part of the community while that one is for official business. 8-)
(This post was edited by SandWitch King on Mar 8 2007, 9:02pm)