Sep 3 2013, 2:57pm
Elthir, here's a summary of what I know so far on the topic of "Tauriel romance / love story":
- Peter Jackson said, after announcing the creation of the character Tauriel and describing her role briefly, that she was not created as a love interest for Legolas.
- In the Total Film article (Summer 2012) referenced above, Matthew Leyland wrote about Kili: "In addition to chasing treasure, he's also pursuing female elf Tauriel." What exactly Aiden Turner said about this is not known. I would bet the farm that he did not use the word "pursue"; it doesn't sound like anything he would say. Rather it sounds like Leyland's attempt to write a "cute" sentence (in Luke Evans' portion Leyland writes "Since being cast as a hot, dragon-bothering archer in The Hobbit, Evans has gone from Bard to worse" (groan) ). Aiden Turner's only quote on the subject of Tauriel was "I guess he knows nothing can ever happen. She's about 20 ft tall and he's only two!" My take on this has been that it will provide some comedy in DOS because of the height difference, etc., but there will be no "romance" as such.
- In April of this year, an attendee of HobbitCon in Germany was told by the DOS panel organizer, Stefan Servos, that (1) Azog dies in DOS, and (2) Tauriel has a big crush on Thranduil, tells him about it and gets rejected, and pouts about the rejection by deliberately letting the Dwarves escape. This rumor sounded pretty absurd, and I was very suspicious because of the timing (around April 1st) that the conversation was reported to have taken place. I also searched more than 20 subsequent pages of the Herr der Ringe website in German pertaining to Thranduil, and found nothing at all. Plus, we know for sure now that the Azog part is untrue.
- The rumors concerning Legolas started up again this summer as the publicity for DOS began. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Evangeline stated that Tauriel "definitely has a love story", but did not elaborate and said that it "was not a huge focus". Concerning Legolas, she says:
“Tauriel’s relationship with Legolas is significant. They’ve known each other since they were children, and Legolas’ dad, [Elven king] Thranduil, has a soft spot for Tauriel and sees something very special in her. So if you grow up side by side, and your dad has a very special spot in his heart for this young woman who’s a fantastic warrior, I think it’s hard not to notice her.” She laughs. “That’s probably as much as I can say.”
So it's all left vague, with many possible interpretations. The most probable scenario is that she has some star-crossed feelings for Legolas, but that this never becomes a "romance". We may have to wait until December to find out.
- Finally Evangeline reiterated the "coy" comment concerning Legolas in a recent Twitter discussion with fans. "Many of u have asked about a Lego / Tauriel romance", she wrote. "I can neither confirm nor deny, under penalty of death". As I said above, this sounds a lot like publicity, to hint about Legolas (most of the Twitter followers will probably never have heard Peter Jackson's comment from a long time ago). Another reason for being so coy, which I did not mention before, is that the actors all have strict "gag" clauses in their contracts; they are forbidden to reveal plot details. Hence the "under penalty of death" phrase (she also used this when asked whether Tauriel will speak with Thorin).
That's my summary of the story so far...
Don't mess with my favorite female elf.
(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 31 2013, 10:29pm)