The One Ring Forums:
Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Desolation of Smaug Geeky Observation List - Draft #1:
Aug 12 2013, 3:01am
The Desolation of Smaug Geeky Observation List - Draft #1
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Geeky Observations List
THESE FIRST OBSERVATIONS ARE FROM THE DOS TRAILER SHOWN ONLINE ON JUNE 11, 2013 and Vlog #1 on July 1, 2013
'This will probably get me struck off The One Ring party list but I am enjoying deviating from the book'-Jackson.
Beorn's Hall Stuff
1. Ori defends against Beorn with his slingshot.
2. Bilbo draws Sting and is ready to fight the giant bear trying to break through the door.
Dol Guldur Stuff
3. The hilt of the sword Gandalf is holding in Dol Guldur looks like the sword mounted on the wall in Bag End's den.
4. Thrain jumps down on Gandalf from above.
5. Gandalf is in Dol Guldur being lead by Thráin, which suggests it is not wholly insane after all.
6. Gandalf reveals his fear about the Necromancer to Radagast.
High Fells Stuff
7. Gandalf comes to the High Fells tomb.
8. Bilbo climbs to the top of the trees and enjoys cool breeze, sunlight, and the butterflies.
9. Mirkwood is trippy with Mushroom spores.
10. Bilbo is being tracked by a huge spider.
Woodland Realm Stuff
11. The dwarves lose all their weapons either at the spider attack or when they are imprisoned in Thranduil's halls.
12. Thranduil wears many different outfits.
13. Tauriel is much less wise but more dangerous than Legolas.
14. Tauriel is chafing against Thranduil's isolationist policy.
15. Legolas and Tauriel are riding together on a horse/elk.
16. Thranduil's armor is silver.
17. Thranduil's Elven army's armor resembles the Lórien armor at Helm's Deep.
18. The standard Elven soldiers seem to be using the same bow as Tauriel.
19. Legolas has his two white knifes from LotR, but his bow seems to be different.
20. Thranduil has contempt for what is going on outside his realm.
21. Thranduil has a Katana-like sword.
22. Thranduil has the reputation of being the greatest warrior in Middle-earth, but chooses not to use his force.
Barrel Escape Stuff
23. Thorin is using an orc sword during the barrel escape. Most likely he snatched it from one of the attackers. This proves that Thranduil will take Orcrist, just like in the book.
24. When Thorin swings his sword, you can see Bilbo hanging on to Kili's barrel.
25. The dwarves are fighting while rushing downriver in the barrels. It looks like they are being attacked by elves.
26. Kili is carrying a bow during the barrel escape.
27. When Bombur is thrown through the air in his barrel, he snatches an orc axe midair.
28. As the Dwarves arrive by barrel at the waterborne human habitation within trading distance of Erebor, so the orcs have tracked them. In turn, the orcs are pursued by our nimble Elf.
29. The Dwarves are given new weapons in Lake-town.
30. Bilbo and Co. pick up new, regal-looking clothes in Lake-town. Perhaps a gift from the Master?
31. The pursuit of the orcs into Lake-town possibly takes place in the winter: Legolas is said to be 'Using sheets of ice as a stepping stone, then hops to the far side of the canal and dashes down an alleyway'.
32. Lake-town's streets are level with the waterline, giving it the disheveled look. A labyrinth of gimcracks, walkways, bridges and buildings that stoop beneath the burden of the heavy roofs.
33. Bard meets the Dwarves at the end of their river journey, but he does not look too pleased to see them.
34. Bard has a son, Bain.
35. Azog is still after the company and will be joined by Bolg.
36. Thorin is leaning on a sword, which is not Orcrist. It seems to be a man-made style of sword.
37. Dwalin is carrying an axe or mace-like weapon.
38. Dori is carrying a long sword on his back, far longer than any prior to this point.
39. Gandalf, Bilbo, Tauriel and Legolas Greenleaf meet in Dale.
40. There are further references to the orcs hunting the party in Lake-town
41. There are people fighting in Dale against what seems to be orcs.
42. Part of the Battle of The Five armies will be in Dale. A geared-up Thranduil is seen fighting.
43. A battle in what looks like modern day (ruined) Dale, where you see Gandalf there and Thranduil there too in battle armor.
44. Thranduil's armor is silver.
45. Two man-made swords are seen outside the hidden door.
46. Bifur is carrying a sword... but what kind?
47. Thranduil is wearing a completely different crown than before. For battle, he wears a circlet along with his full-on armor.
48. The thrush that flies back to Erebor in AUJ flies up behind the giant dwarf statue. In the DOS trailer, the Dwarves are shown climbing up this same statue. So the Thrush was our first clue as to where the hidden door is.
49. The statue the Company climbs is not one of the two in front of the main gate.
50. The statue the Dwarves climb seems to have the same kind of beard decoration that Thrór had.
51. The Dwarven Statue to the left of Erebor's front gate is missing its head.
52. The silhouette of Thorin is seen at the entrance to the tunnel.
53. When Smaug is in the shadow, its dark, and his eye shine like headlights on the wall like in the old cartoon.
54. The Dwarves encounter Smaug and not just Bilbo. They are backing away as an intense red and orange flickering light pushes them backwards.
Gundabad Orcs Stuff
55. Azog is not carrying any weapon!
56. The Orc armor looks a little like the Mordor Orc.
4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013
"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!
TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)
(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 12 2013, 3:05am)
Post edited by grammaboodawg
(Immortal) on Aug 12 2013, 3:05am