Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Christopher Lee gets his own series of stamp!...

diedye
Grey Havens

May 5 2008, 1:14pm

Views: 865
Shortcut
Christopher Lee gets his own series of stamp!... Can't Post

From The Telegraph:

Christopher Lee’s honour

By Tim Walker

Last Updated: 04/05/2008

Christopher Lee will have his head alongside the Queen’s on a set of stamps that the Royal Mail is issuing next month to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Hammer horror films.

The 85-year-old actor made his last film for Hammer 32 years ago and has done his damnedest since then to live down his portrayals of Dracula, the Mummy and Frankenstein’s monster.

“I suppose it’s an honour,” the great man tells me.

“Her Majesty is rather more recognisable than me, though. In all but one of the stamps I have seen I have my head in bandages. It’s probably a mercy.”

//

However, someone's not too happy...

From The Times:

Dracula sinks his teeth into Royal Mail history

Brian Pendreigh

HE may appear in the guise of the undead but Christopher Lee will make history next month by being among the first living non-royals to be portrayed on a British stamp.

The 85-year-old actor will appear as Dracula on a set of commemorative stamps next month marking the 50th anniversary of the Hammer horror and Carry On films.

The stamps, which break more than 80 years of convention, will be released on June 10. They feature six original film posters, including Dracula, The Curse of Frankenstein, and The Mummy. Lee appears on all three of the horror posters, albeit heavily bandaged in one and partly obscured in another. In the Dracula poster, he is preparing to sink his fangs into the neck of a victim.

The first-class stamp shows Shirley Eaton, now 71, and Dora Bryan, 84, among the cast of Carry On Sergeant. Eaton is best known for her role as the gold-painted girl in the James Bond film Goldfinger.

The use of living nonroyals is at odds with the Royal Mail’s policy, going back to 1924, that they can appear on stamps only if they are part of a larger group – such as the 2005 Ashes-winning England cricket team.

Michael Wolff, a member of the Royal Mail’s stamp advisory committee, admitted the ban was being gradually relaxed.

“Everything has got to move on,” said Wolff. “I think it [the ban] will gradually fade away.”

The stamps have not been welcomed by fans of Hammer films, who described the poster reproductions as “terrible” because, being so small, they are nearly illegible.

Bruce Sachs, owner of Tomahawk Press, which has published several books about Hammer, said: “These are a real embarrassment.”

Royal Mail said the stamps were of movie posters that showed film characters rather than of individuals.

Buckingham Palace said new designs were personally approved by the Queen.

//

Whatever... congrats, anyway, Mr. Lee! Smile

Miss ? Then Join Us.

Subject User Time
Christopher Lee gets his own series of stamp!... diedye Send a private message to diedye May 5 2008, 1:14pm
    Brilliant. :) Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua May 5 2008, 7:38pm
    Well, the Queen approved them ... Elven Send a private message to Elven May 5 2008, 9:01pm
        Better than licking his... diedye Send a private message to diedye May 6 2008, 1:40am
    A little off the subject, I guess, but... Patty Send a private message to Patty May 6 2008, 1:49am
        In IMDb's mini-biog it says.. Kelvarhin Send a private message to Kelvarhin May 6 2008, 5:10am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.